Takeover Thread - July 1st statement, Staveley letter to Tracey Crouch (and response) in OP

Yorkie

Will the takeover be complete by this summer?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. Will the takeover be complete by this summer?

• Yes
    • No

21 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Can anyone do a quick update of how the arbitration is ‘expedited’. We’ve already delayed it several months.

I haven’t been following that closely, soz. 

I don't think anyone outside of the process knows exactly what the effect of it being expedited is. We know from the High Court judgement that the arbitration is following the PL's process but the arbitration rules in the PL handbook are pretty vague and don't shed any light on how an expedited process would be different.

10 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Can anyone do a quick update of how the arbitration is ‘expedited’. We’ve already delayed it several months.

I haven’t been following that closely, soz. 

Well, the process would normally take a lot longer but the courts are less busy at the moment so it can be fast tracked. But yes I agree, the requested delays are setting that back a bit.

My opinion on it right now is that the delays in the arbitration case are no bad thing but a longer delay in the CAT doesn't help us.

We want disclosure, we want that evidence so it can be used in the arbitration case.

June 11th is when they submit their challenge for jurisdiction. If we lose that I think the game is up. Don't expect a quick decision, they're going to hand over a mountain of crap for the judge to mull over, taking up as much time as possible as if they can get this starting after the arbitration case begins properly, they'll see that as a win too.

If the judge rules in our favour and it begins quickly, that will be good for us. They could settle ASAP.

38 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

I can't see how that could affect the jurisdiction of the CAT.

That would be like a rule saying the clubs should only report criminal offences the PL, not the police.

Even if would breach the rule it wouldn't affect the jurisdiction of the police to investigate.

I also think it would probably be an unfair contract term if used in that way to preclude access to the CAT.

That would be the case if it were an enforcement matter by the Competition and Markets Authority or something like that, but this is just a private action. 

49 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

Actually it's St James Holdings Limited V the PL.

It may be able to get somewhere with that argument (i.e., that it's not a party to the arbitration agreement), the fact that it's the sole owner of the club may complicate it, though.

Obviously you’re far more qualified than me to give an opinion on this but, as far as I understand it, if the club is deemed to have broken that rule the consequence would potentially be disciplinary action via the disciplinary procedures set out in the rules. The PL’s rules could not restrict the jurisdiction of the CAT or otherwise remove rights of access to other forms of legal process (unless there were a specific statutory provision for allowing the removal of such rights).

Just now, Jackie Broon said:

Obviously you’re far more qualified than me to give an opinion on this but, as far as I understand it, if the club is deemed to have broken that rule the consequence would potentially be disciplinary action via the disciplinary procedures set out in the rules. The PL’s rules could not restrict the jurisdiction of the CAT or otherwise remove rights of access to other forms of legal process (unless there were a specific statutory provision for allowing the removal of such rights).

Since when does breaking the rules result in an actual punishment (cough ESL)

7 hours ago, Jackie Broon said:

Obviously you’re far more qualified than me to give an opinion on this

[emoji38] Not really.

7 hours ago, gjohnson said:

as far as I understand it, if the club is deemed to have broken that rule the consequence would potentially be disciplinary action via the disciplinary procedures set out in the rules. The PL’s rules could not restrict the jurisdiction of the CAT or otherwise remove rights of access to other forms of legal process (unless there were a specific statutory provision for allowing the removal of such rights).

Yeah, I don't know how that works under U.K. law. On a really quick look I didn't find anything right on point (though I did find a U.K. case where a court stayed a competition case pending resolution of underlying arbitration, but it wasn't a CAT case and wasn't the same type of competition claim).

12 minutes ago, Ben said:

This takeover is not happening is it ? 

No.

But don’t let that stop you being distracted from the lack of transfer activity, Bruce being in charge, shit football, a lack of protests and no ambition.

Uncle Mike is on our side. He’s spending the deposit money on a fruitless public court case... That’s right, it’s not even his own money he needs to use to carry on this whole charade. 

Just now, reefatoon said:

[emoji38] that’s some effort for a charade mind.

It’s no-lose in reality for him, isn’t it?

£17m to spend, not a single penny is his own. Lose the case? Drags on for two years and keeps him away from the pressure of doing anything remotely ambitious.

Small chance of winning? Great. The takeover happens.

7 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

£17m to spend, not a single penny is his own. Lose the case? Drags on for two years and keeps him away from the pressure of doing anything remotely ambitious.

All of the £17m belongs to him...

16 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

I think he might be a bit pissed off if his £ 300 million pound sale doesn't go through.

17 minutes ago, Robster said:

I think he might be a bit pissed off if his £ 300 million pound sale doesn't go through.

Probably. But he’s had plenty of opportunities to sell us before, obviously wasn’t too bothered then.

He’ll be more bothered about keeping his relationship open with the Saudi’s. 

30 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

All of the £17m belongs to him...

Money he never had - a gambling man like Ashley is more than willing to take a punt, especially if it’s money he never started with.

6 minutes ago, manorpark said:

It has always been happening, it is just a matter of WHEN.

Confidence is something people have before they fully understand that situation.

Right now it's heads or tails.

Heads - the judge rules against the PL in their jurisdiction claim. Shit then gets real for them. They settle. We get our takeover.

Tails - the judge rules with the PL and the CAT case gets stopped in it's tracks. It then goes to arbitration and they also make a judgement that the PL were correct in insisting KSA be a director.

What's left of the takeover just fizzles away and we carry on with our living nightmare of Mike Ashley owning the club.

7 minutes ago, Beamish said:

If it has always been happening why did the Saudis walk away?

If you have followed this at all over the last year, you would know that they have not walked away from the Consortium.

You would know that they publicly stated that they had walked away, to the EPL.

You would know that (1) Arbitration and (2) The Competition Case, would not have started (TWO separate expensive legal cases) if there was no point in starting them, and there would be no point in starting them if the Saudies had (actually) walked away.

The British legal system is bent.

The Saudi has walked away long time ago.

All this CAT and arbitration thing is just a "play" to enable Mike Ashley lies about the upcoming transfer window.

Just lock the thread already.

Now, take a deep breath and repeat this mantra:

"Ashley is here forever"

Edited by veriaqa

The negative wankers are just as annoying, if not more so, as the positive wankers. Nobody fucking knows. Chill out for a minute, god damn. Live your life, go for a walk, find a hobby.

6 hours ago, Kaizero said:

The negative wankers are just as annoying, if not more so, as the positive wankers. Nobody fucking knows. Chill out for a minute, god damn. Live your life, go for a walk, find a hobby.

Realism is best, in fact it is the 'only' way to be.

Just look at the information we have, then join up all the dots, and you come to the ONLY answer - the logical answer.

I'm desperate for the takeover to happen, but the people that don't want this deal to go through far outnumber the people that do and they are doing a great job of kicking the can down the road.

Over a year now and we are still no further forward.

11 minutes ago, Ben said:

Over a year now and we are still no further forward.

Why would you think that, with two very (very) winnable legal procedures taking place over the next few weeks and months?

1 minute ago, manorpark said:

Why would you think that, with two very (very) winnable legal procedures taking place over the next few weeks and months?

Because 12 months ago a deal was in place to buy the club and we just needed to pass the O&D test.

Now there is no deal in place, the deal has been blocked with two complex legal procedures in the way.

It’s hardly rocket science. You’re in the wrong thread posting your unrealistic nonsense.

Newcastle have been in very winnable positions innumerable times and lost, the fact that you admit it's winnable falls below your usual standard of zealously banging the drum [emoji38]