SF2: England 2-1 Denmark

Yorkie

This is very true. Italy probably won't dive to win a penalty, but you can guarantee if they get their noses ahead on Sunday evening, they'll have the book of "dark arts" on hand. Time wasting, feigning injury, cynical challenges, etc. 

2 hours ago, Shearergol said:

Easily the WORST decision VAR has ever, and will ever make that. The game's gone. #Brazil

:lol:  For me it's definitely the worst penalty I've seen in terms of VAR. Sterling is falling before any ''contact''. I do realize with this forum and some of you that the rules are different for everyone. Englishmen should be allowed advantages while others ridicule it. 

I'm glad FIFA referees, footballing players, managers, commentators all agree that it was never a penalty why some you lot try to defend it. Hoepfully you win it all, sad it's going to be remembered how you not only had help from this referee in the game against Germany where Kalvin Philips could very easily been sent off but also in the semi-final ;)

Edited by Flip

There is this absolutely magical middle ground where you can think it wasn't a penalty, but be absolutely delighted your national team is in its first final since 1966.

You don't have to bend over backward to justify a poor decision, nor do you have to go on like Sterling should be shot. Bad decisions are part and parcel of football, this is the first that has gone in England's favour for some time.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

There is this absolutely magical middle ground where you can think it wasn't a penalty, but be absolutely delighted your national team is in its first final since 1966.

You don't have to bend over backward to justify a poor decision, nor do you have to go on like Sterling should be shot. Bad decisions are part and parcel of football, this is the first that has gone in England's favour for some time.

Unfortunately some of the ''lads'' in here do. At the end of the day England are deservedly in the final, but it's just pathetic reading some of the lot trying to defend the decision. You get to a childish point where someone like joeyt starts talking about the amount of football someone has watched, when you've got the likes of Dieter Hamann saying it's as blatant mistake you'll ever see and managers such as Arsene Wenger and Jose Mourinho saying it was an obvious mistake and ex-FIFA referees like Jonas Eriksson and Paulo de Oliveira condemning VAR non-involvement in the penalty.  

And again I'm a complete neutral in this, taking absolutely no side. 

Loads of teams get dodgy decisions on the way to winning tournaments. Few people other than Aussies really remember Grosso's dive in 2006. They remember them winning the tournament. Even when they are remembered like the hand of god it never takes any of the shine off the victory or the legacy. 

It was a soft penalty but I'm not even sure it was a dive. It was a player going at full pelt who was clipped by two tired defenders in the box. I don't think it was a pen - but it wasn't quite as scandalous as made out.

3 minutes ago, joeyt said:

I just don't understand how anyone can say that's the worst VAR penalty decision ever after all of the shockers we've had in the PL this season alone

As discussed right after match in here. The moment of the game, a semi-final in the Euro's requires a bit more competence and scrutiny than a random PL match. Sterling is going down before there is contact. 

4 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

Loads of teams get dodgy decisions on the way to winning tournaments. Few people other than Aussies really remember Grosso's dive in 2006. They remember them winning the tournament. Even when they are remembered like the hand of god it never takes any of the shine off the victory or the legacy. 

They absolutely do. Grosso was one, Brazil v Belgium in 2002 when Wilmots scored was one of the weirdest decisions I've ever seen as well. Brazil won the World Cup, I was happy as fuck but I can still look and say that decision was crazy and you don't know what would've happened had it been allowed to stand. At the end of the day, only the danes will remember this penalty decision in years to come, but it was absolutely fucking ridiculous and anyone disagreeing is clearly biased.

Ridiculous pen decision, I'd feel aggrieved.

But I understand they sometimes go against you or for you. This time we are fortunate it's the latter and I'm not going to get too downhearted.

There's no need to defend it tbh, it's out of your control and the man who matters said penalty. Any discussions that come of it will probably be for the better of the game for everyone.

Danes rape and pillage the land and they get a museum in York and a TV series on Amazon Prime.

Sterling may or may not have dived and there's uproar.

Scandalous.

1 hour ago, Wullie said:

There'll be a softer penalty than that given within the first 2 PL weekends. Feel free to quote me on that.

But PL can't use VAR properly so it's to be expected. I've been delighted with how lenient VAR has been in this tournament and every contact in the box hasn't been a penalty or even a lengthy check. They have also been too lenient the other way and have been respecting the ref's original decision way too much which has been disappointing. Hope with time it will get better. I still don't understand why the ref can't watch replays of big calls more often from the screen.

Yes the Premier League was definitely the crucial point there, despite the fact Serie A and La Liga both had about 20 more penalties awarded last season. Face it, that's given as a penalty by most European top flight referees in 2021. Sorry like.

I hate VAR with a visceral passion but it's been far better at this tournament - purely because of how hands off it has been. 'There needs to be more transparency to viewers' and 'the ref should spend more time looking at the screen' seem to be common takes that I see people make that I couldn't disagree with more. It's been so much better because it's been quicker and with far fewer long stoppages. Before players/fans could even argue with decisions or the directors have been able to replay things for TV the check is over and play has resumed. Offsides where the player is basically level have very gone quickly to the attacker. And people move on the way they used to before VAR.

The fundamental problem with VAR in football is that decisions are so subjective, and the more you try to analyse them, watch numerous replays slowed down, the more you time you spend destroying the flowing nature of the game. It's an extremely difficult balance to get right. Going with the on-field, full-speed decision for soft penalties is absolutely the right thing to do in most cases. They've definitely been closer to getting it right at this tournament than in any league football I've watched (PL and Serie A mainly). 

I think, even if it was a bit of a dodgy penalty, if you're constantly getting in behind and putting maximum pressure on the opposition, you're going to end up 'earning' a situation like that. 

The decision itself was borderline because I think he probably does either look for - or make the most of - the contact; and I think if VAR had overturned it, I would have begrudgingly accepted the call. Then approximately 90 seconds later I would, in all likelihood, have been celebrating either a goal or another, less dubious, penalty shout. 

Yeah that's spot on. It's like how Liverpool, Man United and Man City get loads of borderline penalties in the PL that cause fans to cry foul. If you have loads of players who dribble at pace and constantly make runs in behind you're going to get penalties. It goes with the territory. 

If Denmark had dominated us I would get the upset the pen caused but we absolutely demolished them and if we hadn’t scored off the back of the penalty we would have scored and won another way.

They had one decent chance all game and even that came off the back of a soft decision.

2 hours ago, Flip said:

Unfortunately some of the ''lads'' in here do. At the end of the day England are deservedly in the final, but it's just pathetic reading some of the lot trying to defend the decision. You get to a childish point where someone like joeyt starts talking about the amount of football someone has watched, when you've got the likes of Dieter Hamann saying it's as blatant mistake you'll ever see and managers such as Arsene Wenger and Jose Mourinho saying it was an obvious mistake and ex-FIFA referees like Jonas Eriksson and Paulo de Oliveira condemning VAR non-involvement in the penalty.  

And again I'm a complete neutral in this, taking absolutely no side. 

Christ, is there anyone that hasn't stuck their sneck in and had a say on this? Anyone who hasn't reviewed it and blubbed about how unfair it all is? Who's next with an agenda to weigh in on the scandal of it all? Pierluigi Collina? Joe fucking Biden?

It was a soft penalty, i'd have hated to go out of a tournament to it but to say worst VAR penalty decision ever, ignores weekly penalty decisions that have become almost accepted in the PL. Check out Vardy's ridiculous penalty against Spurs in the last game of last season, you'd think he'd stepped on a land mine. The fallout from this is agenda-driven bollocks, all of it.

It’s shocking that people related to football are discussing a dubious penalty decision in a major tournament’s semifinal? Get a grip man, most of them have most likely been in a studio or been asked of their opinion. 

And what’s the agenda, everyone hates the English? :lol: 

Guest HTT II

IT WAS A PEN, clear as fucking day, he got clipped. Soft or not, it was a pen. Get over it!