SF2: England 2-1 Denmark

Yorkie

5 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Hey that's fair enough, I prob reacted to strongly so apologies.  Tbh the scouting thing was in regards to polic as in I don't have to get up in the morning (any more). But yeah I don't regret it, I love my mum and i'd do it again 1 million percent, despite the mental toll.

But back to football watch that Brighton connoly, decision. I hand on heart think its the softest penalty I've ever seen in my life. 1:40

:thup: I really didn't take offence so no worries there. 

As for that video, the one last night is still far worse imo. There are bad decisions, but the one last night there's no contact until he throws himself. There's been some terrible decision imo during the whole tournament, but for me (we are all entitled to have an opinion) last night was the worst one I've seen or at least can remember. 

2 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Thing is I'm one of Neymar's biggest defenders on here lol. I legit don't have any hate for the guy.

:lol: What does this have to do with anything? Neymar is a prick, excellent player, but a prick nonetheless.

3 hours ago, HTT II said:

I fell asleep on the sofa, woke up at 3 freezing and disorientated, took myself to bed, then had to get up at 7 to get the kids up and ready and take them to breakfast club at school, now nursing a hangover in bed, happy days!

Just got carried away last night. Had a strict plan of 3 pints but ended up 8 pints down negging Jager Bombs with my missus is some bar at 1am lol.

I'm not sure what was going on with Denmark from 60 minutes onwards, whether it was fatigue or tactical changes not working.

But I was seriously impressed with our performance from then onwards, especially given what had gone before it.  It would have been easy to have been shellshocked by the intensity and circumstances of the game as it was our first real test, but the pressure we put on Denmark was relentless.

Looking back the equaliser and the timing of it was absolutely crucial.  During those 9 minutes there was once or twice I feared it was going 2-0 and we wouldn't have came back from that.  Denmark's tails were up and we looked like the weight of the world had been suddenly put on our shoulders.

3 minutes ago, gbandit said:

No idea why Damsgaard came off, was absolutely baffled by that decision

Denmark didn’t even look threatening after he went off.  Basically playing for pens after that point.

17 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

That Wolves offside at the tail end of last season was horrific as well, can't remember the game though. Fulham maybe?

Sheff United's "non-goal" against Villa was pretty bad too.

Picking out a few individual performances:

Sterling - that was one of the best recent performances by anyone in an England shirt.  Never let the Danes settle, rarely lost the ball, rarely took the easy option.  He decided to take responsibility last night and without him on the pitch we would have lost.  I was wrong about him pre-tournament.

Walker - I don't think I was wrong about him being a weak link so far, but he wasn't last night.  Barely put a foot wrong and his pace is such an asset.

Pickford - a couple of good saves and I wouldn't blame him for the goal.  However his head is clearly brittle and wobbly, which is worrying.  When he experiences a bit of adversity his kicking goes to pot and his game starts to unravel.  He has apparently been seeing a therapist and/or psychologist recently, I hope he spends some time with them before Sunday because it's crucial his head is right for the final.

Kane - so much better since Germany, however I do still think he looks like he's lost a step lately?  Maybe tiredness of conserving energy though.  Amazing vision for the first goal and thank God he was so alert for the penalty rebound.

Rice - Watched him quite intently last night as I'm starting to get really confused about what I'm missing here.  He did step up and break the play up a bit but he's a frustrating player at times.  Often pops up between the centre halves when we're in possession and all he's adding is an additional unnecessary pass.  When Denmark were playing through us at will for a spell I was wondering what protection him and Phillips are actually offering.

Mount - seems to be getting a bit of OTT criticism for last night, which surprises me as I thought it was a pretty standard Mount performance.  He's never going to be as dynamic an option as Foden or Grealish in that position but he's clearly being selected for his defensive discipline.  He really needs to get into the box more to support Kane with our attacking play so focused on the wings, as otherwise Kane is always totally outnumbered.

4 hours ago, LiquidAK said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57758633

'Speaking to BBC Sport, a delighted Rice said: "My brother has literally had a baby, as the second goal went in. He's crying his eyes out, he's had a little girl. It's a special night all round!'

:aww:

1 hour ago, joeyt said:

Interesting use of the word literally

Yeah, always a pet hate of mine. Unless that's just his nickname for his sister? I'm not sure of his family situation but I do hope the baby is well and healthy regardless of who gave birth. 

Also a very small point that might end up being significant.  It's a positive that the goal conceded last night was from a set piece.  The fact we still haven't conceded a goal from open play in the last 8 games including friendlies is something the coaching staff will be telling them, and something to give us confidence going into the final.

9 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

Also a very small point that might end up being significant.  It's a positive that the goal conceded last night was from a set piece.  The fact we still haven't conceded a goal from open play in the last 8 games including friendlies is something the coaching staff will be telling them, and something to give us confidence going into the final.

Double edged sword that, maybe. It kind of puts the blame on Pickford which might rattle him going into the final. I'm confident Southgate knows the players well enough to make the  right call, mind. I think both teams will be well up for the final and hopefully it's a great game.

2 hours ago, Beren said:

@Shak I'm guessing Drew Lock has a long lost English dad..... :lol:

Sweet moves :lol:

I actually watched the game last night with a couple of friends, think they were shocked at how far out of touch I've fallen with football. Had no idea who Mount, Phillips and Saka were :lol:

Was a really good first half to watch, from the second half onwards though it just seemed a matter of time before England scored.

What's the craic with VAR now? How was that Kane penalty shout not given? Seemed pretty stonewall? He does go down very easily a lot but seemed like the guy clattered into him on that one.

We simply can't afford to let Italy have a spell like Denmark had in the first half last night. It was a good 25 minutes of them passing freely between the lines with no one tracking the inside forwards. 

It's an interesting situation with the subs. Southgate doesn't seem willing to take Kane or Sterling off which is understandable so that leaves just 2 attacking positions where we are likely to make changes. And seems as though the pecking order is Grealish > Foden > Sancho > Rashford etc for those 2 subs now. Although Foden might have edged himself ahead last night. Henderson is giving us quite a lot when he comes on imo, I'd arguably start him.