PIF and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

Excerpt from the the athletic piece re impact of the champions league: 

A kitty similar to the initial £60million-£80m outlined for last summer is expected, rather than any great expansion, with sporting director Dan Ashworth calling Newcastle’s current levels of spending “unsustainable”. Qualification, however, does mean the club will not be compelled to sell potentially high-value assets to comply with FFP.

5 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Close it was Everton fan Jacob Whitehead. 

Yeah, we’re well past the days of “having to sell” thank fook! Remember the joy at getting nil signings but consoling ourselves with “well at least we didn’t sell player X or Y”

So much to look forward to this window, and beyond!
???

Edited by PauloGeordio

28 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:

Yeah, we’re well past the days of “having to sell” thank fook! Remember the joy at getting nil signings but consoling ourselves with “well at least we didn’t sell player X or Y”

So much to look forward to this window, and beyond!
???

Yep, it's nice to be the circling vulture for a change, rather than the corpse

1 hour ago, r0cafella said:

Excerpt from the the athletic piece re impact of the champions league: 

“Similar to last seasons budget” when we spent £63 million on Isak alone.

3 minutes ago, Infatuation Junkie said:

No more sitting until 12 on deadline day to push ketsbia through

Ketsbaia was decent enough. You could’ve chosen much better from the likes of Khizanishvili, Ferreyra, Doumbia, Barreca, Bentaleb, Rose, Ireland, Harewood, Fitz Hall, Onyewu, Diatta, Kuqi, Gonzalez, Riviere, Muto, Ki etc…! Fuck me, we’ve had some dross over the last decade. 

There is absolutely no chance of picking up a LB, RCB, two CMs and a forward for £80m. Even if a couple of those are "free" transfers, you've still got to factor in signing bonuses (always higher for out-of-contract players) and the wages (which seems to be more of an issue than the transfer fee judging by our wages-to-turnover ratio).

So either the reported budget is wrong, or the positions we're targeting are wrong.

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Even Edwards in his piece yesterday reckons we will spend more in this window than any in of the previous ones. I reckon around 200 million spend.

Cmon, we can’t just start believing Baldward when he says stuff we want to hear :lol:

2 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Cmon, we can’t just start believing Baldward when he says stuff we want to hear :lol:

I didn’t say I believe him, I said that’s what he reported, and then what I think we will spend.

11 minutes ago, Manxst said:

Ketsbaia was decent enough. You could’ve chosen much better from the likes of Khizanishvili, Ferreyra, Doumbia, Barreca, Bentaleb, Rose, Ireland, Harewood, Fitz Hall, Onyewu, Diatta, Kuqi, Gonzalez, Riviere, Muto, Ki etc…! Fuck me, we’ve had some dross over the last decade. 

Bit harsh on harewood, never top drawer player but definitely helped get us up first time. The rest of them as much use as a pair of nuns tits.

3 minutes ago, Pancrate1892 said:

Bit harsh on harewood, never top drawer player but definitely helped get us up first time. The rest of them as much use as a pair of nuns tits.

Yeah, that’s fair. I’d forgotten the job he did for us- just thinking back to those times is hard enough. 

Yeah i might give it a watch myself. There was a small clip on Twitter this morning. 

Tbh, i never understood the issue. The Saudi's heavily invest in many aspects of the UK and the Premier League were essentially telling them to piss off. 

I can certainly see why they were talking to the govt and saying If our money isn't good enough then we can take it elsewhere. 

I don't necessarily agree with that but can certainly see their pov. 

48 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Even Edwards in his piece yesterday reckons we will spend more in this window than any in of the previous ones. I reckon around 200 million spend.

I don’t think that’s an unreasonable assumption tbf. At least half of the PL teams will spend 100m+ this summer you’d imagine, with the top 8 (and Chelsea) probably spending over 150m. We almost have to spend that much if we want to retain our seat at the big table imo.