PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

It's amazing how enduring the value of Man Utd has been considering they haven't been good for ages now. 

Guess the commercial presence is immense. 

And Los Angeles has two football clubs worth a billion?!

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

It's amazing how enduring the value of Man Utd has been considering they haven't been good for ages now. 

Guess the commercial presence is immense. 

I saw a quote somewhere about them having 1bn fans globally, although they only turnover £500m or so per year so only 50p per fan per year. Make that £1 per fan per year and they're turning over £1bn/year.

I'm not sure it's quite that simple but it was being used to explain the valuation given and the potential for growth even for a massive club like Man Utd.

16 minutes ago, Geordie Ahmed said:

1bn fans? I know they have a lot but I very much doubt they have that many

No chance one eighth of the world is a fan of theirs 

Well the study that put the number at 1bn used the term "followers" which isn't actually the same as a "fan" but that's the figure quoted.

On 31/05/2023 at 14:16, Geordie Ahmed said:

1bn fans? I know they have a lot but I very much doubt they have that many

No chance one eighth of the world is a fan of theirs 

I think that's pretty accurate tbh. Most Chinese and Indian football fans follow them. And add to that African fans and Arabs fans also mostly follow Man. united. South east Asian too.

On 31/05/2023 at 10:33, Keegans Export said:

Well the study that put the number at 1bn used the term "followers" which isn't actually the same as a "fan" but that's the figure quoted.

Not buying that number. Could 1 in 8 people in the world even tell you what sport they play?

Real Madrid and Barcelona have significantly more followers on social media platforms and Madrid regularly tops them in shirt sales. Multiple sources put their number of fans in the few hundred million range. That's much more believable and still massive obviously.

Aye, I think their numbers must be shrinking now.

You don’t see as many younger people supporting them anymore. PSG, Man City, and even Spurs tops seem to be more common now.

A lot of the glory hunting lot supporting them seem to be of the boomer generation, maybe down to the 1st lot of millennials.

In other countries I think Benfica have a massive following in Latin America, so much so that I think they were one of the 1st to have their TV channel, specifically aimed at that market. I’m sure I have heard that in Brazil, they are most people’s 1st or 2nd supported team.

The article is primarily about Man City and he raises a few interesting points about our deal with Sela and how it could affect their legal appeal against the Premier League.

Delaney might be unbearable at times, but he's always been consistent on state ownership. The online reaction to him is generally cringeworthy and proves his point about sportswashing.

The Premier League rules are shite.

Wrexham have just signed a training kit sponsorship last week with the part owner's wife's business. 

It's one thing calling on the sportswashing but this deal has taken place in the same football pyramid. Are people getting in a twist worrying if it's a fair deal compared to clubs like Notts County and Stockport I wonder. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

Forgive me if I’m wrong, but his whole point is about sponsors being from companies who are owned by the clubs owners, not about if the deal is commercially right.

He’s failing to make any reference to the likes of Leicester who’s own shirt sponsor is by one of theirs owners companies.

I fail to see how calling him out on that is wrong.

18 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

The article is primarily about Man City and he raises a few interesting points about our deal with Sela and how it could affect their legal appeal against the Premier League.

Delaney might be unbearable at times, but he's always been consistent on state ownership. The online reaction to him is generally cringeworthy and proves his point about sportswashing.

You can accept the general premise of his articles, sure, but the online reaction that you mention is down to him acting like a troll towards fans, or just being hypocritical. Wasn't it only a few months ago when he got into a slanging match with Lineker on why Shearer doesn't question the ownership, and when Lineker questioned the fact that he works for Lebedev, he ran from the scene like the coward that he is. Not to forget one week a few months ago when two articles came out - one Shearer interviewing Howe in the Athletic and asking him the ownership question, and the other was his brother in arms Panja interviewing Mbappe but not questioning him about PSG's owners because he 'ran out of time'. Fuck both Panja and Delaney.

Edited by Cort

1 minute ago, Cort said:

You can accept the general premise of his articles, sure, but the online reaction that you mention is down to him acting like a troll towards fans, or just being hypocritical. Wasn't it only a few months ago when he got into a slanging match with Lineker on why Shearer doesn't question the ownership, and when Lineker questioned the fact that he works for Lebedev, he ran from the scene like the coward that he is. Not to forget one week a few months ago when two articles came out - one Shearer interviewing Howe in the Athletic and asking him the ownership question, and the other was his brother in arms Panja interviewing Mbappe but not questioning him about PSG's owners because he ran out of time. Fuck both Panja and Delaney.

Miguel Delaney is an absolute weapon. A sneering cunt who loves getting stuck into fans at every opportunity.

He is also one of the few journalists who succinctly writes about the wider state of football and addresses topics like the Qatar World Cup and the involvement of state actors in football clubs.

His article broadly raises some good points, it also contains a few inaccuracies. Very few have chosen to address him on that though and are just triggered at the mere mention of NUFC.

Delaney has been pretty consistent on the topic for a while though. As we become more relevant and successful, the ownership will rightly or wrongly come under more and more scrutiny. It's best to accept it, rather than jump on anything perceived at a dig at NUFC. After all coming out to bat for state ownership proves his point to a degree.

4 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Miguel Delaney is an absolute weapon. A sneering cunt who loves getting stuck into fans at every opportunity.

He is also one of the few journalists who succinctly writes about the wider state of football and addresses topics like the Qatar World Cup and the involvement of state actors in football clubs.

His article broadly raises some good points, it also contains a few inaccuracies. Very few have chosen to address him on that though and are just triggered at the mere mention of NUFC.

Delaney has been pretty consistent on the topic for a while though. As we become more relevant and successful, the ownership will rightly or wrongly come under more and more scrutiny. It's best to accept it, rather than jump on anything perceived at a dig at NUFC. After all coming out to bat for state ownership proves his point to a degree.

You mention it yourself though, he's a sneering cunt who needlessly loves having a go at fans on Twitter. Can't speak for others, but I get pissed off with him for that, and not because I want to defend the ownership because of his articles which are more balanced.

Delaney is alright, but "looking at commercial deals through the prism of equity" is especially difficult to stomach when Ashley paid  below fair value for Sport Direct's association. Of course, nobody cared.  

3 minutes ago, Jagten said:

Delaney is alright, but "looking at commercial deals through the prism of equity" is especially difficult to stomach when Ashley paid  below fair value for Sport Direct's association. Of course, nobody cared.  

And only paid for that in the last few years, and even actually failed to pay, hence why the sponsorship was taken down around SJP.