PIF, PCP, and RB Sports & Media

Yorkie

18 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

Actually, that's exactly what other clubs were worried about - PIFs "influence" being enough to encourage non-related parties to offer big sponsorship packages, presumably in anticipation of receiving some Saudi money down the line.

It's the main reason (in my opinion) why any deal over £1m has to pass the "fair market value" test now, not just related party transactions. 

Don't really see how that stands up unless you can prove that there's money down the line outside of what any business would usually get from sponsorship.

1 hour ago, Keegans Export said:

Actually, that's exactly what other clubs were worried about - PIFs "influence" being enough to encourage non-related parties to offer big sponsorship packages, presumably in anticipation of receiving some Saudi money down the line.

It's the main reason (in my opinion) why any deal over £1m has to pass the "fair market value" test now, not just related party transactions. 

Right, which is exactly why the only applicable criterion is fair market value. If the deal is seen to be 'at arms length' nothing else is relevant.

Edited by DahnSahf
Grammar

59 minutes ago, madras said:

Don't really see how that stands up unless you can prove that there's money down the line outside of what any business would usually get from sponsorship.

Yep, that’s going to be very difficult to stand up in a tribunal.  Correlation still wouldn’t mean causation in that regard. 

1 hour ago, SAK said:

Stuff like this makes me think why don’t our ownership just say fuck it and go down the City/PSG route. Playing nice isn’t getting us anywhere with other clubs and the media, they’ll always try to stiff us even with little improvements, may as well go full on Galactic Empire. 

Probably because they’re not as keen as chucking the same amount of money at it.  KSA isn’t a petty city-state with a tiny population and a colossal amount of oil per capita.  It’s a country - and while it is a dictatorship and will chuck money around, it would still be an investment and not a loss-making vanity exercise. 

I rarely find myself agreeing with True Faith, but I couldn't help but do so with the crux of their article on food banks. (I can't post the link due the server meltdown, but it can be found at the top of the True Faith Site).

I'm sure the Reuben-Ghodoussi kick about was well intended, but it came across as a bit crass. Two blokes, one a millionaire, one a billionaire, competing to avoid donating their loose change to a food bank. 

Firstly, the acceptance that food banks are a perfectly normal charity in one of the richest countries in the world needs to stop. Secondly, Reuben is part of a family who are the biggest donors to the cause of those food banks. To me at least, it's an utterly hollow gesture. 

I might be just a grumpy cunt, but it just felt a bit insensitive to me, even if it was meant to be a decent gesture. 

17 hours ago, SAK said:

Stuff like this makes me think why don’t our ownership just say fuck it and go down the City/PSG route. Playing nice isn’t getting us anywhere with other clubs and the media, they’ll always try to stiff us even with little improvements, may as well go full on Galactic Empire. 

It's precisely why we won't go down that route. The cartel and their media friends are just itching to stop Newcastle crashing the party. It must be infuriating them  that PIF have barely given them a sniff to date.

Just now, TRon said:

It's precisely why we won't go down that route. The cartel and their media friends are just itching to stop Newcastle crashing the party. It must be infuriating them  that PIF have barely given them a sniff to date.

And the team are excelling ahead of schedule  :indi:

Thought it was a bit crass myself too. Would've been better if it were for a cause not associated with rapid deterioration of this country. Donate your pocket change behind the scenes for that, preferably via the name of the club. That stunt would have sat better with me if it was for equipment for Wallsend Boys club or something.

14 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Reuben is part of a family who are the biggest donors to the cause of those food banks

Said exactly this when I was in there.  Was a bit ridiculous. 

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

Reuben is part of a family who are the biggest donors to the cause of those food banks. To me at least, it's an utterly hollow gesture. 

Wow surprised he's got any money left if he's donating to all those party's, institutions and individuals. 

Edited by Teasy

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

I rarely find myself agreeing with True Faith, but I couldn't help but do so with the crux of their article on food banks. (I can't post the link due the server meltdown, but it can be found at the top of the True Faith Site).

I'm sure the Reuben-Ghodoussi kick about was well intended, but it came across as a bit crass. Two blokes, one a millionaire, one a billionaire, competing to avoid donating their loose change to a food bank. 

Firstly, the acceptance that food banks are a perfectly normal charity in one of the richest countries in the world needs to stop. Secondly, Reuben is part of a family who are the biggest donors to the cause of those food banks. To me at least, it's an utterly hollow gesture. 

I might be just a grumpy cunt, but it just felt a bit insensitive to me, even if it was meant to be a decent gesture. 

You shouldn’t be able to mention food banks without saying that they shouldn’t exist and it’s a disgusting feature of our society.

You should at least explain why they exist, because we don’t look after people properly and people don’t earn enough to feed themselves. 

15 minutes ago, Teasy said:

Wow surprised he's got any money left if he's donating to all those party's, institutions and individuals. 

That's very obtuse like.

The bloke and his family donate millions to the Tory Party, who's policy choices are responsible for the rise in foodbanks across the country. Donating £5,000 to the local foodbank feels awfully like giving a plaster to the person your mates needlessly kicked the shit out of. 

Edited by The Prophet

Ultimately it’s pretty normal to vote selfishly so it’s not at all surprising the Reubens (and apparently Staveley and Ghodoussi) vote for the party that financially benefits them the most. I get the anger at people voting Tory, but politics is complex and you don’t have to agree with every policy to vote for a party. I doubt they go to the polling station consciously thinking about how keen they are to see more food banks also even if their vote contributes to it. 

But yeah either way, the other 80% is (the investment fund of) a state with a horrendous human rights record and clearly very evil dictator, so moral issues resulting from our other owners’ charitable deeds pale in comparison. 

Edited by St. Maximin

Bloke supporting party that best suits his personal situation what a heinous crime. 

Bit like still following a club with owners you think are murderers.

Get off your moral fucking high horse, the bloke is entitled to support which party suits his personal situation, but still care about the vulnerable in society.

Pricks.

Edited by Whitley mag