Backroom & executive staff

SweMag

8 minutes ago, TRon said:

Yeah there's nothing to stop him suggesting players who we should go for either, no way Brighton could prove he's done so, especially if he uses public phones Soprano style.

Or tosses the burner like the Barksdale crew 

I dunno there's such a thing as integrity and if he starts giving over stuff he's worked on with Brighton there's no reason to suspect he won't do the same thing to us for his next club. If I were the club and he offered to use his database while on gardening leave I would retract the job offer immediately. 

I'm not talking bit of advice here and there probably by the by but the scouting lists drawn up for Brighton? To me that's dishonesty and I'm sure it happens absolutely everywhere and always and it wouldn't come back on us, but you set standards from the top. 

1 hour ago, Jackie Broon said:

Surely you can't know that unless you've seen his employment contract.

Also, managers and other staff have that sort of knowledge and move between clubs all of the time with little or no compensation or delay.

It makes more sense that he's said to Brighton that he's decided to join us subject to us being in the PL next season (either down to him and/or us) and so they immediately put him on gardening leave.

This makes no sense whatsoever. What would happen in that scenario if we’d gone down? He goes back to work after a 3 month jolly? And what would he stand to gain by revealing that decision to Brighton?

Gardening leave is after you accept another job (usually to a competitor) and the employer decides it’s better for you to leave immediately rather than work your notice period. Generally this is to stop you poaching clients across to your new business.

He’s accepted the role with us, signed a contract with us & been put on gardening leave by Brighton rather than work his notice period.

1 minute ago, BoSelecta said:

This makes no sense whatsoever. What would happen in that scenario if we’d gone down? He goes back to work after a 3 month jolly? And what would he stand to gain by revealing that decision to Brighton?

Gardening leave is after you accept another job (usually to a competitor) and the employer decides it’s better for you to leave immediately rather than work your notice period. Generally this is to stop you poaching clients across to your new business.

He’s accepted the role with us, signed a contract with us & been put on gardening leave by Brighton rather than work his notice period.

Gardening leave can be for any reason, it doesn't have to be that specific circumstance, and during gardening leave you are still employed by that employer. It absolutely makes sense that he would not want to commit himself to the job until he knows what division we are in next season and/or vice versa. 

My point is that managerial staff move around in football all of the time without there being extended periods of gardening leave of massive fees, there is likely to be something else at play here. We'll see pretty soon if it's waiting for confirmation of our PL status has been that thing.

14 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

Gardening leave can be for any reason, it doesn't have to be that specific circumstance, and during gardening leave you are still employed by that employer. It absolutely makes sense that he would not want to commit himself to the job until he knows what division we are in next season and/or vice versa. 

My point is that managerial staff move around in football all of the time without there being extended periods of gardening leave of massive fees, there is likely to be something else at play here. We'll see pretty soon if it's waiting for confirmation of our PL status has been that thing.

I just can’t see a scenario where he goes to Brighton and says I’m leaving for Newcastle if they’re safe at the end of the season, if they go down I’ll stick around. Makes no sense whatsoever.

The most obvious and logical explanation is backed up by the limited information we have. He’s signed a contract with us, handed in his notice and been immediately put on gardening leave. Brighton would rather pay his wages until November than see him jump to a direct competitor. No tin foil hat required.

Just now, BoSelecta said:

I just can’t see a scenario where he goes to Brighton and says I’m leaving for Newcastle if they’re safe at the end of the season, if they go down I’ll stick around. Makes no sense whatsoever.

The most obvious and logical explanation is backed up by the limited information we have. He’s signed a contract with us, handed in his notice and been immediately put on gardening leave. Brighton would rather pay his wages until November than see him jump to a direct competitor. No tin foil hat required.

Looking back at the reports it's clear that he handed in his notice and so, yes, that (to stay at Brighton) wouldn't be in his hands. Although he is still employed by them, they haven't employed a replacement yet and if we don't know for certain whether he has actually signed a contract with us or, if he has, what the terms are. 

But, it is unusual that this hasn't been sorted out given the amount of managerial staff that move about in football without extended periods of gardening leave like this. Obviously it could just be down to Brighton making that choice, and if that's the case we'll have to just wait. We'll find out in the coming weeks / months.

• 2 weeks later...

Wrt to Ashworth it’s important we understand his work likely won’t bear fruit for 3 years +. 

Everything I’ve read about him indicates he’s the “glue” who holds everything together something we’ve lacked forever. 

19 minutes ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

Given the BBC reporting it - and they have a knack of needing to fact-check things about five times over - it must be happening:

This is cracking news. A very important piece of the jigsaw.

21 minutes ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

Given the BBC reporting it - and they have a knack of needing to fact-check things about five times over

On what fucking plain do you exist?

Edited by Happinesstan

3 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Based of Howe’s comments in January, Ashworth will definitely be involved in transfers 

Definitely. Don't think that will actually be his long term role. Read a very interesting piece on him (The Athletic I believe) where he has mentioned rather than having any one job, he sees himself as the centre of a wheel, with multiple different departments that branch off and report to him. Scouting, recruitment, data analysts, academy, first team coach etc. 

But think this Summer he will be in a similar position to the one Howe was in in January in pitching in very directly with transfers.