The "delighted Ashley has gone, but uncomfortable with Saudi ownership" thread

UncleBingo

So the EPL have agrèed to a meeting with Amnesty regarding the O&D testprimarily aimed at putting pressure on the KSA.  I do hope Amnesty realise that the EPL American owners hail from a country that regularly execute prisoners and treat ethnic minority citizens as second class citizens and dont get me started on the NRA!!!!

7 minutes ago, Ankles Bennett said:

So the EPL have agrèed to a meeting with Amnesty regarding the O&D testprimarily aimed at putting pressure on the KSA.  I do hope Amnesty realise that the EPL American owners hail from a country that regularly execute prisoners and treat ethnic minority citizens as second class citizens and dont get me started on the NRA!!!!

They hail from there. They aren't literally the government.

How do people still need this explained :lol:

Edited by triggs

37 minutes ago, triggs said:

They hail from there. They aren't literally the government.

How do people still need this explained :lol:

What i understand is the mega rich American EPL owners have at some point sponsored politicians into power in the USA to further tjeir own ends, so please dont give me the separation from government argument!!!

I suggest that the poster who goes by Saudi Magpie stop engaging in these discussions because it's not doing himself or his points he's making any good and further digging a hole.

Your PIF now owns 80% of our club in the UK. The club is not located in KSA. How the club operates, carries itself...the people who work at that club every single day will be governed by the law of UK and will be (hopefully) respectful of the customs of the UK and those will always and should always be followed. 

I am thrilled we have fresh, ambitious capital willing to invest into OUR football club. As long as those owners do what they say they will do - which is listen to the fans, respect the fans, and build this club to be the best version it can be for the forseeable future - they will have my utmost respect and support. 

Please do not come here and try and make comments that only cause more division and more strife.  If you want to build a bridge, listen (read) before you type a response.  

Cheers. 

Edited by Kanji

2 hours ago, Ankles Bennett said:

If it's aimed at putting pressure on KSA then I'm not sure what they're going to achieve other than some nice headlines. It's a bit late for that, the PL already passed them through the test. If they're meeting to advocate introducing human rights into the test in a meaningful way going forward then I'm all for it. The fact that the takeover was held up on account of pirated tv rights but nobody gave a second thought to a journalist being chopped up in an embassy is something I'll never fully comprehend like.

As i said to Saudi Magpie, my over-riding hope is that this partnership, between two very diverse cultures, can be a positive for both. It would fill my Geordie heart with pride if we could all be part of improving the lives of Saudi Arabians, but I'm not sure I know how to do that. See, I've always flirted with the idea that we should celebrate our similarities, rather than bemoan our differences. However, I am not aware of many similarities that are worthy of celebration [obviously we're biologically the same]. Our political leaders are both abhorrent. The [alleged] atrocities of the Saudi Arabian regime are widely reported and people are understandably horrified, but Boris Johnson jokes about feeding humans, to 10 year olds, and it barely gets a mention. Then you have Patel, who would bring back the death sentence, yesterday, if she could eliminate the red tape that is intended to protect the innocent.

And so I'm reminded that we, ordinary Geordies, have more in common with the ordinary Arab, than we do with the likes of Boris and Rees Mogg. But culturally we are opposite ends of the scale on certain things which we each hold dear. It's a strange situation and it can probably feel a little unfair to place such a responsibility on Geordie shoulders. But I think we have to stay positive about the possibility.

And with a bit of luck we will have some helpful discussions on this forum.

I wish I had a clue where to begin.

Edited by Happinesstan

I wonder what relegation would do to the perception of (and wider discourse around) the club. 

It would appear that we're not going to be able to 'Chelsea/Man City it', for a variety of reasons. Truthfully, I'm glad about this, assuming the reasons behind any obstruction are at least partially grounded in the betterment of the sport and/or safeguarding the idea of fair competition, as opposed to Levy et al enacting some bullshit chicanery to keep us/anyone out. 

But even if we invested more proportionately and still reached the fringes of Champions League qualification by next season (for instance), I imagine the spotlight will still be shining very brightly on the dubious backing which fueled our rise. Meanwhile you'd expect the Big Wankers to continue to ramp up the anti-competition to put the brakes on it. 

Of course everyone knows who Man City's owners are but I do feel like, for one reason or another, the source of their wealth is not commonly referenced and/or the spotlight is dimmer than the one currently on ourselves. If we won the league tomorrow, it would have the largest of asterisks alongside it, whereas I'm not sure I can remember it being there when Agueroooooo happened. The story was Manchester City beating their local rivals and the most successful PL team ever to the title. I don't remember much conversation about their owners being part of a royal family that endorses the murder of gay people. Who here knew that some of Roman Abramovich's companies donated tens of millions to Israeli settler groups accused of displacing Palistinian families? 

To be clear, this isn't me trying to say that there is an agenda against Newcastle; I'm not saying "cuh, how come Citeh get away scott free when we're getting all this heat," and nor am I saying that there shouldn't be discussion/scrutiny on our (or anyone's) sources of wealth, because there absolutely should be. I'm saying that - with one eye on how our new owners might try to improve perceptions of the club; it appeared to me that Man City found a way to ensure their 'football narrative' trumped the one which might have focused solely on the controversial aspects of their ascension. 

So, coming back to relegation, I wonder if us going down and beginning our (hopeful) rise from a much worse position might actually assist the narrative around any potential future success. 

@GWN (soz, moved my post into the more appropriate thread): if the consortium sold us to someone who aren't human rights abusers, that would be alright with me like. :lol:

But I don't think they'd sell us in the event of relegation in any case. 

13 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

@GWN (soz, moved my post into the more appropriate thread): if the consortium sold us to someone who aren't human rights abusers, that would be alright with me like. :lol:

But I don't think they'd sell us in the event of relegation in any case. 

Not something I’m contemplating mate .

2 hours ago, Yorkie said:

I wonder what relegation would do to the perception of (and wider discourse around) the club. 

It would appear that we're not going to be able to 'Chelsea/Man City it', for a variety of reasons. Truthfully, I'm glad about this, assuming the reasons behind any obstruction are at least partially grounded in the betterment of the sport and/or safeguarding the idea of fair competition, as opposed to Levy et al enacting some bullshit chicanery to keep us/anyone out. 

But even if we invested more proportionately and still reached the fringes of Champions League qualification by next season (for instance), I imagine the spotlight will still be shining very brightly on the dubious backing which fueled our rise. Meanwhile you'd expect the Big Wankers to continue to ramp up the anti-competition to put the brakes on it. 

Of course everyone knows who Man City's owners are but I do feel like, for one reason or another, the source of their wealth is not commonly referenced and/or the spotlight is dimmer than the one currently on ourselves. If we won the league tomorrow, it would have the largest of asterisks alongside it, whereas I'm not sure I can remember it being there when Agueroooooo happened. The story was Manchester City beating their local rivals and the most successful PL team ever to the title. I don't remember much conversation about their owners being part of a royal family that endorses the murder of gay people. Who here knew that some of Roman Abramovich's companies donated tens of millions to Israeli settler groups accused of displacing Palistinian families? 

To be clear, this isn't me trying to say that there is an agenda against Newcastle; I'm not saying "cuh, how come Citeh get away scott free when we're getting all this heat," and nor am I saying that there shouldn't be discussion/scrutiny on our (or anyone's) sources of wealth, because there absolutely should be. I'm saying that - with one eye on how our new owners might try to improve perceptions of the club; it appeared to me that Man City found a way to ensure their 'football narrative' trumped the one which might have focused solely on the controversial aspects of their ascension. 

So, coming back to relegation, I wonder if us going down and beginning our (hopeful) rise from a much worse position might actually assist the narrative around any potential future success. 

Man City had Liam Gallagher squaring up to anybody who dared to question them. We've got Ant n Dec offering sheds.