The "delighted Ashley has gone, but uncomfortable with Saudi ownership" thread

UncleBingo

3 minutes ago, OCOCOL said:

3 young lads in family enclosure v villa 

L7 Milburn ? I'm up there and didnt see. It's a big area so not saying it didn't happen, but you know what young'uns are like for trying to wind others up.....especially from a safe distance.

Edited by madras

Just now, madras said:

L7 Milburn ? I'm up there and decent see. It's a big area so not sayingbit didn't happen, but you know what young'uns are like for trying to wind others up.....especially from a safe distance.

yeah I agree both times I’ve mentioned seemed young daft lads trying to be provocative. We’ve all been young snd daft though 

5 hours ago, madras said:

L7 Milburn ? I'm up there and didnt see. It's a big area so not saying it didn't happen, but you know what young'uns are like for trying to wind others up.....especially from a safe distance.

There was 3 student looking lad’s possibly Saudi tourists in L7 for Villa wearing flags like capes. 

29 minutes ago, OptimusSlime said:

There was 3 student looking lad’s possibly Saudi tourists in L7 for Villa wearing flags like capes. 

Yeah I sit in level 7 and saw those lads in the queue. Pretty certain they were Saudi. 

fwiw they seemed pretty quiet and it didn’t seems like they were trying to wind anyone up. 

Edited by GeordieDazzler

I’ve got no problem if Saudi’s want to bring their flags to the match, certainly wouldn’t offend me or anyone I go with.

To be honest I can’t even say I’d be arsed if the Moscow branch turned up with a Russian flag.

Each to their own and as long as they’re here to support NUFC that’s good enough for me. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think I may have crossed a threshold with this, and I'm unsure if I can go back across it. 

I enjoyed pre-season, I even went to one of the games, and it was good fun seeing a local lad score the goals. But I keep reading more and more about what they're doing in Saudi Arabia, and the sheer magnitude of PIF and it gets harder and harder to accept. I know this is where the game has gone at the top level. I know I'd likely never see us win anything without this kind of ownership. 

It's just not what got me into football. I watch how someone like Man City play and it's nigh perfection for 90 minutes. That's not what I got into it for. I accepted and I almost enjoyed the imperfection. It's what made it feel like something. I don't know if my soul is railing against modern football as a whole and this is just a symptom of it, but either way it doesn't feel right. I know our government does shit, all governments do barbaric things, but they don't own my football club. 

Edit: The reason I wrote this down now is because usually I'm quite excited for a game regardless of opponent, but after for some reason it just didn't feel that way today. Maybe it's temporary, maybe it isn't, but here felt as good a place as any to write about it. 

Edited by Viana

1 minute ago, Viana said:

I think I may have crossed a threshold with this, and I'm unsure if I can go back across it. 

I enjoyed pre-season, I even went to one of the games, and it was good fun seeing a local lad score the goals. But I keep reading more and more about what they're doing in Saudi Arabia, and the sheer magnitude of PIF and it gets harder and harder to accept. I know this is where the game has gone at the top level. I know I'd likely never see us win anything without this kind of ownership. 

It's just not what got me into football. I watch how someone like Man City play and it's nigh perfection for 90 minutes. That's not what I got into it for. I accepted and I almost enjoyed the imperfection. It's what made it feel like something. I don't know if my soul is railing against modern football as a whole and this is just a symptom of it, but either way it doesn't feel right. I know our government does shit, all governments do barbaric things, but they don't own my football club. I just don't feel like I can enjoy this anymore and it just makes me very sad. 

Capitalism bought the EPL in the 90s this is the result unfortunately 

21 hours ago, Darth Crooks said:

You feel what when you feel when you feel it man. I don’t feel great at this insistence on Saudi green each season. 

I don’t even think it’ll be PIF insisting - it’ll be Castore and other NUFC board members wanting to lickspittle them.  Like anticipating what an emperor wants for their birthday. 

Just now, Conjo said:

If I ever create a youtube channel about something that interests me I'll certainly not be one of those cunts who wants others to watch my videos

But you obviously don't want people to watch your videos by not creating videos.

1 hour ago, Rafalove said:

Well done to Adam for covering this.

Props to the 'NUFC supporters against sportswashing' lads and bollocks to any daft fuckers too thick to understand their cause, but Christ they could do with a more engaging figurehead. :lol: 15 minutes straight of pure waffle.

Well done Adam. Only thing more he could have done is disable the comments. 

Actually think as well as being thick a lot of our fans are really weird. Who said you had to like your owners? You can appreciate them taking over your club, but they’re ultimately here to make money in some way or another and you don’t owe them anything. 

2 hours ago, St. Maximin said:

Well done Adam. Only thing more he could have done is disable the comments. 

Actually think as well as being thick a lot of our fans are really weird. Who said you had to like your owners? You can appreciate them taking over your club, but they’re ultimately here to make money in some way or another and you don’t owe them anything. 

It’s really odd when you think about it.  I remember reading once (think it might have been David Conn) it being said that Newcastle has a ‘cap-doffing air’; that there is almost a feudalistic desire to love those with money and power.  The owners aren’t in charge of the club because they have a sense of noblesse oblige - they’re there to make money, with a nice dollop of ‘cleaning’ it on top.  

37 minutes ago, Warrior1 said:

I just want to say it's been really good to read some of the stuff on here, and I think it's a really important conversation to have. 

And I think as Newcastle fans and as Geordies we do have a voice and have the power to speak up about these issues.

Just because we support the club, does not mean we need to support the ownership. 

I'd encourage everyone to have a read of this https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/sep/06/fans-have-power-newcastle-fans-urged-to-speak-up-against-saudi-regime

Hello Mr Hird 😂

9 hours ago, Warrior1 said:

I just want to say it's been really good to read some of the stuff on here, and I think it's a really important conversation to have. 

And I think as Newcastle fans and as Geordies we do have a voice and have the power to speak up about these issues.

Just because we support the club, does not mean we need to support the ownership. 

I'd encourage everyone to have a read of this https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/sep/06/fans-have-power-newcastle-fans-urged-to-speak-up-against-saudi-regime

Just read this article. To be frank, I have no real problems with Saudi involvement.

Still, I thought this paragraph was interesting:

“They should not underestimate the power one word can have,” said Hathloul who suggested that fans might start unfurling homemade banners, or even small placards, bearing the names of alleged victims of Saudi human rights abuses during matches. “The fans have power. Even having a banner at a match which says ‘Free Salma al-Shehab’ – a PHD student at Leeds University sentenced to 27 years imprisonment for tweeting – can have an impact.

It makes me reflect on the efforts the club is currently putting into making sure everyone in our stadium, or eligible to apply to enter it, is as identifiable as possible. Collecting data might just be about preventing ticket trading between fans, but it can be used in all kinds of totalitarian ways.

• 2 weeks later...