The "delighted Ashley has gone, but uncomfortable with Saudi ownership" thread

UncleBingo

1 minute ago, Rompe said:

Some people actually still care about Manchester City owners and use pretty much every possible situation to complain about them.

Dunno what those Man Utd and Liverpool fans have to complain about really… 

Edited by HTT II

I was sure this discussion was had last year and my sentiment is the same as I posted 18 months ago 

"This isn't a black and white issue, we are dealing with each persons morals and those are times subjective to a certain extent.

I think we can all agree we want Mike Ashley gone and therefore him leaving will be a massive relief and a joyous occasion, it's been so long since we have been a proper club, and by that I simply mean a club trying to be better tomorrow than it is today. We've been a zombie club with brief moments of joy but by and large it's been absolute misery.

In terms of the potential new owners, I think it's possible to recognise their issues but still want to support the club. I personally want this takeover to go through and i'll buy a season ticket if they are available, I miss going to the football. The issues with the new owners don't bother me enough to not want to go to the football or support my team. If however they were exactly like Ashley when it came to running the club then I would stop going but my issue with them would be the football and not other things.

Having said that if the Israeli government were buying us my stance would change, does that make me selective in my morals? Aye I suppose it does. Does it make me a hypocrite? Again I suppose it does. If we are all honest with ourselves there is an element in hypocrisy in how we perceive things. Certain issues will bother people more than others. That's just reality. It's neither right or wrong, it just is.

What does concern me is the section of our fans (admittedly this could just be a minority) that have suddenly become experts in the middle east and are defending everything, we've seen today our fans attacking Hatice Cengiz (fiancee of Khashoggi) on twitter, calling her a "slappa" and telling her to "fuck off". I've seen the Saudis defend and be in denial about what happened to Khashoggi, I expect nothing less from them but that's not something we should be doing. It's disgraceful and I'm comfortable in saying that is wrong. We can be happy our club is a club again without become cheer leaders.

When it comes to certain sections of the media (Keys, Delaney etc) then ideally we would ignore them but I understand that's easier said than done so I've no issues when we challenge them but we shouldn't go after Amnesty/Hatice etc, it's embarrassing.

I understand overall people will be conflicted, if people feel so strongly about the issues that they will no longer follow the club then we should respect that. If they feel strongly about the issues but still want to follow the club we should respect that. If they aren't bothered by the issues then we should respect that (as long as they don't go attacking people that have legitimate grievances)."

2 hours ago, Rafalove said:

This is a pretty excellent video, with lots of information I actually didn’t know about.

Cant really disagree with any of it, so whats the answer, is recognising and disagreeing with their practices while simultaneously supporting the club an acceptable way to go about it? 

I suppose thats the choice everyone has to make on their own. 

I’m taking it this objection to Saudi flags just applies to U.K. fans looking like tits ?

I think folk are going to have to get used to seeing it when Saudi nationals start attending games.

I’m presuming most won’t see this as a problem, otherwise I’d suggest quite a lot of you are going to be offended over the coming years.

Edited by Whitley mag

2 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

I’m taking it this objection to Saudi flags just applies to U.K. fans looking like tits ?

I think folk are going to have to get used to seeing it when Saudi nationals start attending games.

I’m presuming most won’t see this as a problem, otherwise I’d suggest quite a lot of you are going to be offended.

Most people will take it as daft humour, outsiders will probably think it's a bit crass, but I doubt many will be that offended. They'll just think some fans are a bit thick, but that's usually the case with any club. Except Southampton maybe, we all know they are a more intelligent and discerning breed down there. 

It’s ignorance/wilful ignorance to fly the Saudi flag in light of all that’s being said and plays directly into the hands of valid critics. We can make new people feel welcome without coopting/appropriating national symbols and in some cases mocking/mimicking national dress. Whatever they wear it’s not a tea towel. It’s too easy to play stuff off as just a laugh but that means pretty much anything could be fair game. If a Saudi National wants to raise a Saudi flag they are entitled to but why you’d do it if you’re from wallsend/eastanglia/uk I don’t really know in light of it all. Fair play to them for changing it imo. Shows some nous.

Edited by Darth Crooks

3 minutes ago, Darth Crooks said:

It’s ignorance/wilful ignorance to fly the Saudi flag in light of all that’s being said and plays directly into the hands of valid critics. We can make new people feel welcome without coopting/appropriating national symbols and in some cases mocking/mimicking national dress. It’s too easy to play stuff off as just a laugh but that means pretty much anything could be fair game. If a Saudi National wants to raise a Saudi flag they are entitled to but why you’d do it if you’re from wallsend/eastanglia/uk I don’t really know in light of it all. Fair play to them for changing it imo. Shows some nous.

Maybe we should just wait and see if anybody actually does fly the Saudi flag? Who knows, we might be pleasantly surprised by Newcastle fans respectful decorum for the political ramifications beyond the football. 

Not an opinion, just a question:
How would you would react if in the future Newcastle play in Saudi Arabia for the benefit of the kingdom directly (like promoting the kingdom ideal). That would be a very much "sportwashing" event in the max. Would people that are on fence now still support Newcastle? Or would you quit supporting Newcastle?

I know in the past we've questioned whether this forum and opinions on it are a true representation of the general nufc support on certain topics within the club, but I do think it can turn into having a certain level of being a bit of an echo chamber and trying to out-do each other in some threads. I honestly don't believe the majority of fans care about what KSA might or might not have done in their past or whether this whole thing is sports-washing for their future. If someone wants to dress as an Arab Sheik or wave a Saudi flag that's up to them, I get that some people aren't going to be comfortable with that but on the whole, I think it's only going to bother a small amount of people by comparison, who tend to react more strongly to controversial subjects. That's just my take on it though and I don't live in the North East so I could easily be misreading it.