The "delighted Ashley has gone, but uncomfortable with Saudi ownership" thread

UncleBingo

Going to get very boring very quickly if every crime that occurs is then somehow tenuously linked to our owners and anyone who says “that’s a bit of a load of bollocks” is then accused of sportswashing.

Rinse and repeat infinitely. 

You can make a point about the terrible acts carried out by KSA without comparing it to anything else.

As I’ve repeated several times, people shouldn’t be linking Greenwood’s actions with anything or anyone, that’s disrespectful to the victim and detracts away from what a little scumbag he is.

I don’t agree with the actions of KSA and don’t particularly think I’d ever be drawn to justifying or defending them. The people who would probably do so haven’t been “sportswashed”, they’ve always been thick but haven’t had any reason to air their uneducated views before.

12 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

Going to get very boring very quickly if every crime that occurs is then somehow tenuously linked to our owners and anyone who says “that’s a bit of a load of bollocks” is then accused of sportswashing.

Rinse and repeat infinitely. 

You can make a point about the terrible acts carried out by KSA without comparing it to anything else.

As I’ve repeated several times, people shouldn’t be linking Greenwood’s actions with anything or anyone, that’s disrespectful to the victim and detracts away from what a little scumbag he is.

I don’t agree with the actions of KSA and don’t particularly think I’d ever be drawn to justifying or defending them. The people who would probably do so haven’t been “sportswashed”, they’ve always been thick but haven’t had any reason to air their uneducated views before.

Welcome to 2020

52 minutes ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

I’m uncomfortable living with a Conservative government, but as long as their morals and values expressed through their policies don’t prevent me   enjoying living in England, then I’ll just crack on. Literally nothing that can be done to change a regime here or elsewhere…

Sorry but I had to laugh - one of the key moral issues underpinning this debate is that we can change the regime here but they can’t in Saudi Arabia :lol:

A simple test for me would be: Would I be as offended if a statement - not just this particular statement, but any - had been made about Ashley or while Ashley was in charge?

(I don't think Ashley has ever even been accused of something like that, so accuracy is not important)

For this case I think I would. We never liked him as the owner/face of the club but it's a pretty shit thing to say and there's always collateral offense by association.

Now, would social media mob justice have been meted out? I mean probably not, that's fair. I'm just not too arsed about him tbh.

Edited by thomas

1 hour ago, Coffee_Johnny said:

I’m uncomfortable living with a Conservative government, but as long as their morals and values expressed through their policies don’t prevent me   enjoying living in England, then I’ll just crack on. Literally nothing that can be done to change a regime here or elsewhere. No point protesting, just spoils the vibe/chance to actually get some real enjoyment out of supporting our team. If we just treat people as we personally see fit and hold the beliefs that seem fair to us (… may be a bit of variation in here!) it’s probs the best plan. At least we all have control over that. 

Well you could try voting?

We have a Conservative Government because more people chose them than not. We have Boris as a prime minister because more people chose to sit on their arse and whinge on election day than doing anything. Country really is the epitome of Newcastle support 

Just now, gjohnson said:

Well you could try voting?

We have a Conservative Government because more people chose them than not. We have Boris as a prime minister because more people chose to sit on their arse and whinge on election day than doing anything. Country really is the epitome of Newcastle support 

Thats not quite true. More people voted against the Tories than voted for them.

2 minutes ago, madras said:

Thats not quite true. More people voted against the Tories than voted for them.

Its exactly true. 

Yes in total more people voted against them, but they still got the highest number out of any available.

You dont win an election by who likes you, you win by getting the most votes

Edited by gjohnson
extra

10 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

Its exactly true. 

Yes in total more people voted against them, but they still got the highest number out of any available.

You dont win an election by who likes you, you win by getting the most votes

More people chose not than them though.

1 hour ago, Thumbheed said:

Can someone tell me what sportwashing would look like if this isn't it? 

Funnily enough my views on Saudi Arabia remain unchanged. No amount of Newcastle United success under our new owners will change that.

Just now, hakka said:

Funnily enough my views on Saudi Arabia remain unchanged. No amount of Newcastle United success under our new owners will change that.

Same here, however regarding certain aspects of their society, I realise that despite my own feelings, their customs, traditions, rules and whatever are different to say England’s and my own and I have to accept that, if not like it or respect it. I like to drink, they don’t for example. We also have to remember many countries are still developing, it wasn’t that long ago here in England it was illegal for the King to marry someone divorced and that people would get hanged by order of the Queen…

Seeing political shite spill over into football more and more over the last few years has been so gross. I hate politics, I pay no attention to any of it as much as I can and I try to spend my time/energy only caring about things that I can personally control (except for NUFC).. so seeing all this talk constantly regarding my club since the takeover got old pretty quickly. I was hoping it might die down after a while but thats clrealy not going to happen [emoji38]

18 minutes ago, Nine said:

Seeing political shite spill over into football more and more over the last few years has been so gross. I hate politics, I pay no attention to any of it as much as I can and I try to spend my time/energy only caring about things that I can personally control (except for NUFC).. so seeing all this talk constantly regarding my club since the takeover got old pretty quickly. I was hoping it might die down after a while but thats clrealy not going to happen [emoji38]

I think it is dying down, or at least it feels that way to me. Was a lot more at the start. The debate on here of late is only there because of the guy that lost his job from tweeting that Mason Greenwood should sign up here because of our owners. It's pretty isolated.

Edited by hakka

2 minutes ago, gjohnson said:

It's exactly how democracy works, unless you want to make voting mandatory, and then it stops being democracy

PR would be a start. Even a French system of more than one round so the winner has actually achieved more than 50 % would be better than the majority voting against the minority that wins

On 03/02/2022 at 14:05, leffe186 said:

Sorry but I had to laugh - one of the key moral issues underpinning this debate is that we can change the regime here but they can’t in Saudi Arabia :lol:

Last poli-ball point. How exactly? Given most people on here live in areas which are always going to return a labour MP. Illusion of choice not a personally or even collectively (within our localities) controllable option. 

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

What is their campaign ultimately wanting to achieve?

I'm not sure that's really exactly determined yet because its new and this is the first meeting. They sent out a survey a bit ago on questions like that.

But I know it was started by a couple of fans who don't want to stop supporting the team but don't want to ignore it - I think key things will be to play a small role in countering the sportswashing goals by highlighting/educating on war crimes in Yemen etc, and also promoting wider discussion about football ownership.

Edited by Inferior Acuña

10 minutes ago, Inferior Acuña said:

I'm not sure that's really exactly determined yet because its new and this is the first meeting. They sent out a survey a bit ago on questions like that.

But I know it was started by a couple of fans who don't want to stop supporting the team but don't want to ignore it - I think key things will be to play a small role in countering the sportswashing goals by highlighting/educating on war crimes in Yemen etc, and also promoting wider discussion about football ownership.

each to their own but not for me thanks

1 hour ago, Inferior Acuña said:

I understand wanting to turn off to all this - and do myself most of the time, but I'm proud fans are also engaging with the issue. For anyone interested:

(*turns off notifications*)

They will be the first postings selfies on FB at Wembley when we win something…