The "delighted Ashley has gone, but uncomfortable with Saudi ownership" thread

UncleBingo

23 minutes ago, veriaqa said:

Not that fanciful. If every fans in every home game make their opinion on Saudi ownership clear, that the fans dont want their bloody money and their backward culture on NUFC, eventually the Saudi will grow tired and sold NUFC.

If fans dont want the sportwasing side, they should not want and reject the money and the success that the sportwashing will bring too.

If I was Salman, I will sold NUFC or give it for free amd buy another club that will accept the sportwashing and succes happily, like maybe Man Utd with their plastic fans or maybe Sunderland

We couldn't get the fans to protest against the universally loathed Mike Ashley. The PIF takeover had 97% approval from the supporters trust. I was against the takeover and don't want the PIF part owning the club I support, but I'd rather try selling garlic in Transylvania than try selling no PIF ownership to Newcastle supporters.

Honestly think it's more plausible to lobby for fans to be given genuine power over clubs if only to prevent them being exploited for profit and run into the ground like so many have. We are not realistically going to be able to force owners to give up stakes to fan groups as ideal as that would be but could be rules about fan representatives being on boards and fans holding a veto over certain things could be possible. NUFC will not  be owned by fans or by benevolent local businessmen for a long time. PIF will want to sell on one day, maybe then but jesus football clubs cost so much. It's ludicrous. It is totally wrong. 

21 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

We couldn't get the fans to protest against the universally loathed Mike Ashley. The PIF takeover had 97% approval from the supporters trust. I was against the takeover and don't want the PIF part owning the club I support, but I'd rather try selling garlic in Transylvania than try selling no PIF ownership to Newcastle supporters.

If that's the case, in my opinion, to avoid looking like a hypocrite: every fans who against the saudi ownership and sportwashing should not celebrate NUFC success. Or stop supporting NUFC all together.

So you dont want saudi ownership and definitely dont want the sportwashing element of it. But you still will celebrate the NUFC success in the future that essentially sportwashing success in nature? And you definitely will still support NUFC even if it being funded by blood money?

4 minutes ago, veriaqa said:

So you dont want saudi ownership and definitely dont want the sportwashing element of it. But you still will celebrate the NUFC success in the future that essentially sportwashing success in nature? And you definitely will still support NUFC even if it being funded by blood money?

Yes, exactly. Life's complicated. 

Edited by Inferior Acuña

10 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Do you support Newcastle?

Yes, and I dont mind the sportwashing, because I think the notion of sportwashing by Saudi is ridiculuos. And I dont mind the blood money because frankly I thought Saudi money isnt bloody at all. If Saudi money is bloody, every other money will be bloody too.

So, I'm not a hypocrite at least.

4 minutes ago, veriaqa said:

Yes, and I dont mind the sportwashing, because I think the notion of sportwashing by Saudi is ridiculuos. And I dont mind the blood money because frankly I thought Saudi money isnt bloody at all. If Saudi money is bloody, every other money will be bloody too.

So, I'm not a hypocrite at least.

confused-no.gif

Feel like I've maybe missed something here?

7 minutes ago, veriaqa said:

indeed.

I find the hypocritical nature of Brits and Americans weird too....

Are you the one who had a weird thing against our legal system too or was that someone else? 

12 minutes ago, veriaqa said:

indeed.

I find the hypocritical nature of Brits and Americans weird too....

Only reason you're not a hypocrite in your eyes is because you've decided sportswashing and blood money don't exist/are fine. :lol: Your medal's in the post.

Edited by Kid Icarus

What is the issue with ‘sportswashing’ anyway? The cynicism people have over the takeover isn’t matched by reality. If it’s a real thing it’s not hiding human rights abuses and making Saudi Arabia falsely appear to be a progressive state. If it changes opinions it’s clearly at a pretty small scale. We make up a very small minority of football fans in England alone the world, so I really doubt the opinions of such a small group really mean that much to them or has the power to creative a grossly false misrepresentation of what the country is like. 

They are diversifying their economy and investing in sport like the other gulf states do to create economic development in the long run. The human rights abuses are sadly still there and are a problem irrespective of the takeover. I don’t feel overly comfortable with the takeover, but despite a small minority of fans now defending KSA and dancing around with tea towels on their hands, it’s not really the ‘sportswashing’ that concerns me. 

On 27/02/2022 at 07:23, St. Maximin said:

What is the issue with ‘sportswashing’ anyway? The cynicism people have over the takeover isn’t matched by reality. If it’s a real thing it’s not hiding human rights abuses and making Saudi Arabia falsely appear to be a progressive state. If it changes opinions it’s clearly at a pretty small scale. We make up a very small minority of football fans in England alone the world, so I really doubt the opinions of such a small group really mean that much to them or has the power to creative a grossly false misrepresentation of what the country is like. 

They are diversifying their economy and investing in sport like the other gulf states do to create economic development in the long run. The human rights abuses are sadly still there and are a problem irrespective of the takeover. I don’t feel overly comfortable with the takeover, but despite a small minority of fans now defending KSA and dancing around with tea towels on their hands, it’s not really the ‘sportswashing’ that concerns me. 

This is why the notion of Saudi's sportwashing is a ridiculous notion. They dont care about sportwasing. What they do really care is, in the word of Bill Cosby, "money money money money..." and more "money money money money"

But as I said a few posts back, the level of hypocrisy of you brits and americans are on another level you will never grasp that.

Owning a football club doesn't make you money :lol:

They're doing a pretty good job of sportswashing considering anytime they are criticised Newcastle Utd fans have a meltdown about it

All of this is shit but we're still going to support the club we've supported our whole lives anyway knowing we're hypocrites because we don't have it in us to walk away

Vs

I've decided that sportswashing doesn't exist or if it does then it's fine and I embrace it and the blood money

No one in either corner really has the moral high ground to be criticising the other tbh. For some reason you seem to think you do though, which is a bit weird. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

46 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

All of this is shit but we're still going to support the club we've supported our whole lives anyway knowing we're hypocrites because we don't have it in us to walk away

Vs

I've decided that sportswashing doesn't exist or if it does then it's fine and I embrace it and the blood money

No one in either corner really has the moral high ground to be criticising the other tbh. For some reason you seem to think you do though, which is a bit weird. 

I will say sportswashing exists, but it’s not the major human rights issue people make it out to be. I just see it used as a negative term but without the evidence to show it is such a terrible thing - almost like it doesn’t need it. 

The concern people have is the laundering of a reputation through sports investment, but I’m yet to see this working the way people suggest. Surely as long as human rights abuses are being committed, the positive attitudes towards a country won’t eradicate the coverage of the abuses - not on a particular grand scale anyway. I doubt the Russia World Cup, while no doubt a great experience for fans, has massively changed the perception of the country - at least not to the point it took an unprovoked war to make people realise how immoral it is. 

Where sportswashing does work as intended is it helps generate tourism and investment et al through becoming more relevant to the daily lives of people abroad. That’s not a bad thing overall though?

In less positive terms there’s the issue I know we’ve discussed about Newcastle fans defending KSA, having Saudi flags on Twitter profiles and wearing tea towels etc. Not ideal of course, but to me it’s not a major issue in the grand scheme of things when they’re a small minority of fans that make up a small minority of football fans in the UK, let alone the world!

Edited by St. Maximin

1 hour ago, triggs said:

They're doing a pretty good job of sportswashing considering anytime they are criticised Newcastle Utd fans have a meltdown about it

If they were in it to make money, they would've bought a Burnley to keep them 13th every year (the Mike Ashley dream) or done a small scale version of the Glazers of saddling the club with the purchase price and have the club pay off the owners debt with it's own money.

1 hour ago, triggs said:

A lot of the KSA criticisms - all valid btw - I saw on social media get packaged with some sly or not-so-sly dig at NUFC supporters as well.

Then when one of us is unhappy about that completely unnecessary dig, it gets framed as being unhappy about the criticism as a whole, proving we're all brainwashed and sportswashed.

It's baby trolling 101. The whole engagement is intellectually bankrupt.

2 hours ago, veriaqa said:

This is why the notion of Saudi's sportwashing is a ridiculous notion. They dont care about sportwasing. What they do really care is, in the word of Bill Cosby, "money money money money..." and more "money money money money"

But as I said a few posts back, the level of hypocrisy of you brits and americans are on another level you will never grasp that.

Please don’t quote Bill Cosby to prove any point. 

15 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Please don’t quote Bill Cosby to prove any point. 

That guy was my absolute hero growing up in the late 60's and early 70's. I know it's wrong but I put my fingers in my ears and yell, LALALALA I can't hear you. Yes it is wrong but sorry, that is how it is.