Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

While I’m sort of wishing I hadn’t read through some of this, as it is truly depressing, just a point on the Howe ‘elite or non-elite manager’ thing.

IMO, Howe is not at the moment an ‘elite’ manager.  To be that you win trophies - big ones.

But Howe is also the first English manager in decades who I’d be willing to back to become one.  The bloke is clearly a top level manager in-waiting.  Give him time, lads and lasses - and there will be worse runs than losing back-to-back to Man City & Liverpool down the line.  

8 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

While I’m sort of wishing I hadn’t read through some of this, as it is truly depressing, just a point on the Howe ‘elite or non-elite manager’ thing.

IMO, Howe is not at the moment an ‘elite’ manager.  To be that you win trophies - big ones.

But Howe is also the first English manager in decades who I’d be willing to back to become one.  The bloke is clearly a top level manager in-waiting.  Give him time, lads and lasses - and there will be worse runs than losing back-to-back to Man City & Liverpool down the line.  

Actually think its wrong to say that he isnt an elite manager. Havent had the time/chance to prove he is one yet, but its an open question for me. 

What he has achieved with us is certainly elite level.

Just now, Displayname said:

Actually think its wrong to say that he isnt an elite manager. Havent had the time/chance to prove he is one yet, but its an open question for me. 

What he has achieved with us is certainly elite level.

It’s an open question and he hasn’t had time to prove it - then he isn’t.  Yet.

Qualifying for the European Cup isn’t elite level.  Winning the European Cup is. 

20 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It’s an open question and he hasn’t had time to prove it - then he isn’t.  Yet.

Qualifying for the European Cup isn’t elite level.  Winning the European Cup is. 

I think it is with the squad he got, but guess we have different interpretation of the word elite. For me its simply means being among the best, not some specific achievement.

Edited by Displayname

52 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Yep, we've clearly got one of the most promising managers in the league, but fans don't believe in any sort of patience anymore.

Everyone's in a rush 'to win things' so they can gloat on social media about trophies, being a big club and just winding up other fans in general.

Howe is clearly not an idiot and actually cares a lot about what he is doing and so will never just stand still where he is as a manager. On top of that he's already overachieved massively. Let the man do his thing, I find it very hard to believe we won't continue moving upwards.

Happily stand up and say anyone questioning Howe can get in the fucking sea. Lost a game to Liverpool after a freak bounce off our top CB and an error by his best midfielder off two class strikes from a 70m striker. He’s probably put in 15+ hour work days since then identifying the issues, reading through old notes, creating action plans to fix those, and preparing for Brighton…sure beats dusting yourself off eh?

We all know we have 2 domestic cups, Champions league and 35 more PL games to play. So much football to enjoy this season.  

Seriously just take a step back people. The debating over elite or not elite seems entirely pointless. The debate over his big game management seems entirely pointless. He is in his second full season of managing a club who’s ambition is to compete with the top end of domestic and European competition and he’s still rebuilding the squad. Fuck sake. 

If you spent any time looking at the careers of other big managers you’d see everyone suffers gut wrenching defeats. 

Edited by Kanji

1 hour ago, Kanji said:

Happily stand up and say anyone questioning Howe can get in the fucking sea. Lost a game to Liverpool after a freak bounce off our top CB and an error by his best midfielder off two class strikes from a 70m striker. He’s probably put in 15+ hour work days since then identifying the issues, reading through old notes, creating action plans to fix those, and preparing for Brighton…sure beats dusting yourself off eh?

We all know we have 2 domestic cups, Champions league and 35 more PL games to play. So much football to enjoy this season.  

Seriously just take a step back people. The debating over elite or not elite seems entirely pointless. The debate over his big game management seems entirely pointless. He is in his second full season of managing a club who’s ambition is to compete with the top end of domestic and European competition and he’s still rebuilding the squad. Fuck sake. 

If you spent any time looking at the careers of other big managers you’d see everyone suffers gut wrenching defeats. 

This is the attitude i got the impression that most of the people here got. Thanks for being honest.

19 hours ago, mighty__mag said:

Are the majority of those still blaming Eddie UK based or overseas?

I'm really curious. 

I'm only curious because I know in a lot of overseas sport, there's a lot of result driven fans, that's all that seems to matter to them, the bigger picture doesn't seem to register. 

As Brummie put it, zoom out a bit.

I'm sorry that we exist and even have the nerve to apply for tickets in the ballots.

I for one am not local. Nor do I question Howe’s position. But on the other hand I’ll be critical when there are reasons for it. At the same time though I wouldn’t want him replaced by any other manager. But I still don’t think he’s perfect. At least not yet. A poor performance/result is just that - a poor performance/result regardless of where I as a supporter am from or who the manager is. 

5 hours ago, Pata said:

I'm sorry that we exist and even have the nerve to apply for tickets in the ballots.

[emoji38] Sorry, I didn't mean that in a complete cuntish manner.

I was leaning to overseas sport and the levels, scholarships, etc, failure isn't an option stuff, understandably countries with huge population have larger pools to pick from reminding me not everyone is going to make it, I just felt the need to be the best is a more ruthless thing abroad, and does this influence how some think when it comes to a particular sport. 

It just crossed my mind if some people who see sport in that way could just easily be ruthless and call for Howe and just not care, I'm sure that some probably do, but labelling all overseas fans that way was a shite take, apologies. 

4 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

[emoji38] Sorry, I didn't mean that in a complete cuntish manner.

I was leaning to overseas sport and the levels, scholarships, etc, failure isn't an option stuff, understandably countries with huge population have larger pools to pick from reminding me not everyone is going to make it, I just felt the need to be the best is a more ruthless thing abroad, and does this influence how some think when it comes to a particular sport. 

It just crossed my mind if some people who see sport in that way could just easily be ruthless and call for Howe and just not care, I'm sure that some probably do, but labelling all overseas fans that way was a shite take, apologies. 

Appears to me that most of the foreign fans on this forum tend to be pretty optimistic posters.

But it’s probably all perception infected by bias (and a little stereotyping) on my part.

Edited by Vinny Green Balls

I don’t think it’s got anything to do with nationality, I think it’s more online/real life. If I met someone in real life with the opinions I see online, you’d want them sectioned. Find most people in real life are rational and have sensible opinions, whereas you see batshit crazy opinions online daily. 

7 hours ago, Displayname said:

This is the attitude i got the impression that most of the people here got. Thanks for being honest.

I see it more like most people think it’s jumping the gun to wonder if we should upgrade managers at this point. As I’ve said though, it’s only three people who have even  gone down that road since Liverpool…all of whom we would expect to, given their track records on here. 

Every time I see that Away Toon posted l, I expect something grim, but I would never delude myself into thinking that he is some representative of a number of posters on here.  He’s just his own idiosyncratic self. I think we are generally lucky that most people on here seem really sound.

Edited by Vinny Green Balls

Honestly love the bloke so much. If I got slammed everytime something didn't go right for me at work, I'd be a nervous wreck. I dunno how he does it. 

The scousers think it's him and Dyche who will be gone by Christmas. Fuck off ya cunts and concentrate on your own manager. 

I'll be heartbroken if Eddie leaves or is kicked out and I think 99.9% of fans feel the same. It's a shame that the twitter or X patrol whatever the hell it is now, is giving other fans fuel for the fire when it's just not true. 

The man is a gift. 

What we as fans need to be wary of is that the print and breaking news media and those affiliated with betting companies want Howe out due to the revenue this will get from clicks and bets as we contemplate Howe’s future and look for a new manager.

Not a phenomenon exclusive to Howe, will be the same for Ten Hag and Klopp and Ange.

the narrative we read about ‘is Howe good enough for elite management’ will be dripping with this narrative, while it is blatantly obvious that our first four fixtures (the first choice for the NUFC job, Man City, Liverpool, the inevitable bookies favourite to replace Howe) were put together by the PL as a favour for the media.

The owners and fans are really going to have to rally around Howe during any inevitable form dips and keep the faith. Rise above this evil conspiracy.

On 30/08/2023 at 09:12, TheBrownBottle said:

Agree, I don't think you can be called an elite manager until you are winning trophies, Howe is still losing too many head to heads against the proven elites to dispel doubts entirely.

But tbh, there's no manager in the world who can usually beat the best sides with inferior players, and when we are up against City or Liverpool, we are undoubtedly going in with less artillery. Where we are spending £35m on wide players, Liverpool are spending £70m. Where we spend £40m on a midfielder, City are spending £100m.

It's actually testament to how good a manager Howe is that he is going toe to toe with these managers with some success, and not resorting to parking the bus and trying to fluke a win like an Allardyce or Bruce would do.

On 30/08/2023 at 09:12, TheBrownBottle said:

I completely agree with this. He isn't there but he so can get there.

We’re 2 years ahead of schedule thanks to 1 man and his team.

He has a 2 year free run in the bank in my book. The owners will be looking for every way to earn every extra penny to support him and maintain the momentum. 

onwards and upwards :indi:

18 hours ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

Appears to me that most of the foreign fans on this forum tend to be pretty optimistic posters.

But it’s probably all perception infected by bias (and a little stereotyping) on my part.

It's probably because we chose this dumpster fire of a team on purpose. Lesser Americans would be over on the Manchester forums being cunts with all the other cunts.