Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

I for one am not local. Nor do I question Howe’s position. But on the other hand I’ll be critical when there are reasons for it. At the same time though I wouldn’t want him replaced by any other manager. But I still don’t think he’s perfect. At least not yet. A poor performance/result is just that - a poor performance/result regardless of where I as a supporter am from or who the manager is. 

5 hours ago, Pata said:

I'm sorry that we exist and even have the nerve to apply for tickets in the ballots.

[emoji38] Sorry, I didn't mean that in a complete cuntish manner.

I was leaning to overseas sport and the levels, scholarships, etc, failure isn't an option stuff, understandably countries with huge population have larger pools to pick from reminding me not everyone is going to make it, I just felt the need to be the best is a more ruthless thing abroad, and does this influence how some think when it comes to a particular sport. 

It just crossed my mind if some people who see sport in that way could just easily be ruthless and call for Howe and just not care, I'm sure that some probably do, but labelling all overseas fans that way was a shite take, apologies. 

4 minutes ago, mighty__mag said:

[emoji38] Sorry, I didn't mean that in a complete cuntish manner.

I was leaning to overseas sport and the levels, scholarships, etc, failure isn't an option stuff, understandably countries with huge population have larger pools to pick from reminding me not everyone is going to make it, I just felt the need to be the best is a more ruthless thing abroad, and does this influence how some think when it comes to a particular sport. 

It just crossed my mind if some people who see sport in that way could just easily be ruthless and call for Howe and just not care, I'm sure that some probably do, but labelling all overseas fans that way was a shite take, apologies. 

Appears to me that most of the foreign fans on this forum tend to be pretty optimistic posters.

But it’s probably all perception infected by bias (and a little stereotyping) on my part.

Edited by Vinny Green Balls

I don’t think it’s got anything to do with nationality, I think it’s more online/real life. If I met someone in real life with the opinions I see online, you’d want them sectioned. Find most people in real life are rational and have sensible opinions, whereas you see batshit crazy opinions online daily. 

7 hours ago, Displayname said:

This is the attitude i got the impression that most of the people here got. Thanks for being honest.

I see it more like most people think it’s jumping the gun to wonder if we should upgrade managers at this point. As I’ve said though, it’s only three people who have even  gone down that road since Liverpool…all of whom we would expect to, given their track records on here. 

Every time I see that Away Toon posted l, I expect something grim, but I would never delude myself into thinking that he is some representative of a number of posters on here.  He’s just his own idiosyncratic self. I think we are generally lucky that most people on here seem really sound.

Honestly love the bloke so much. If I got slammed everytime something didn't go right for me at work, I'd be a nervous wreck. I dunno how he does it. 

The scousers think it's him and Dyche who will be gone by Christmas. Fuck off ya cunts and concentrate on your own manager. 

I'll be heartbroken if Eddie leaves or is kicked out and I think 99.9% of fans feel the same. It's a shame that the twitter or X patrol whatever the hell it is now, is giving other fans fuel for the fire when it's just not true. 

The man is a gift. 

What we as fans need to be wary of is that the print and breaking news media and those affiliated with betting companies want Howe out due to the revenue this will get from clicks and bets as we contemplate Howe’s future and look for a new manager.

Not a phenomenon exclusive to Howe, will be the same for Ten Hag and Klopp and Ange.

the narrative we read about ‘is Howe good enough for elite management’ will be dripping with this narrative, while it is blatantly obvious that our first four fixtures (the first choice for the NUFC job, Man City, Liverpool, the inevitable bookies favourite to replace Howe) were put together by the PL as a favour for the media.

The owners and fans are really going to have to rally around Howe during any inevitable form dips and keep the faith. Rise above this evil conspiracy.

On 30/08/2023 at 09:12, TheBrownBottle said:

While I’m sort of wishing I hadn’t read through some of this, as it is truly depressing, just a point on the Howe ‘elite or non-elite manager’ thing.

IMO, Howe is not at the moment an ‘elite’ manager.  To be that you win trophies - big ones.

But Howe is also the first English manager in decades who I’d be willing to back to become one.  The bloke is clearly a top level manager in-waiting.  Give him time, lads and lasses - and there will be worse runs than losing back-to-back to Man City & Liverpool down the line.  

Agree, I don't think you can be called an elite manager until you are winning trophies, Howe is still losing too many head to heads against the proven elites to dispel doubts entirely.

But tbh, there's no manager in the world who can usually beat the best sides with inferior players, and when we are up against City or Liverpool, we are undoubtedly going in with less artillery. Where we are spending £35m on wide players, Liverpool are spending £70m. Where we spend £40m on a midfielder, City are spending £100m.

It's actually testament to how good a manager Howe is that he is going toe to toe with these managers with some success, and not resorting to parking the bus and trying to fluke a win like an Allardyce or Bruce would do.

On 30/08/2023 at 09:12, TheBrownBottle said:

While I’m sort of wishing I hadn’t read through some of this, as it is truly depressing, just a point on the Howe ‘elite or non-elite manager’ thing.

IMO, Howe is not at the moment an ‘elite’ manager.  To be that you win trophies - big ones.

But Howe is also the first English manager in decades who I’d be willing to back to become one.  The bloke is clearly a top level manager in-waiting.  Give him time, lads and lasses - and there will be worse runs than losing back-to-back to Man City & Liverpool down the line.  

I completely agree with this. He isn't there but he so can get there.

We’re 2 years ahead of schedule thanks to 1 man and his team.

He has a 2 year free run in the bank in my book. The owners will be looking for every way to earn every extra penny to support him and maintain the momentum. 

onwards and upwards :indi:

18 hours ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

Appears to me that most of the foreign fans on this forum tend to be pretty optimistic posters.

But it’s probably all perception infected by bias (and a little stereotyping) on my part.

It's probably because we chose this dumpster fire of a team on purpose. Lesser Americans would be over on the Manchester forums being cunts with all the other cunts.

I agree with what people are saying but a lot of people told me we were better than Liverpool and we should finish above them.  Now they’ve beat us with 10 men at SJP - everyone agrees that they are actually a level above us.  But it’s ok. 

So I do think there’s just blind optimism going around which in truth is probably a good thing.  My only concern is blind optimism can easily turn into blind negativity. When people avoid reason and go with whatever vibe they have.

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I agree with what people are saying but a lot of people told me we were better than Liverpool and we should finish above them.  Now they’ve beat us with 10 men at SJP - everyone agrees that they are actually a level above us.  But it’s ok. 

So I do think there’s just blind optimism going around which in truth is probably a good thing.  My only concern is blind optimism can easily turn into blind negativity. When people avoid reason and go with whatever vibe they have.

image.gif.7dbbd823c613f4d212efa9a3edeb735a.gif

Why would Liverpool beating us in a smash and grab prove they're better than us? It's a completely subjective debate, but it's hardly been settled by what happened on Sunday. 

For what it's worth, I thought Liverpool were better than us before Sunday. Having circa £200 million worth of forwards helps.

3 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

And you are obviously the sole possessor of reason on here. Don't get me wrong. Overall I think you are a great contributor and a very important voice in the forum, but hell, sometimes your wording could make many on here misconstrue it as hubris.

On 29/08/2023 at 09:34, jack j said:

Be canny In 20 years when history is rewrote and people realise how good Eddie was before he was forced out by our stupid fans

They'll all deny it though. The same as they do now with Robson

I'll go with Mourinho as this eras souness

Our fans deserve fuck all success ?

Yeah, this is my worry too. The hunger for success, after so many years of deprivation, is so great that it can easily turn to anger and frustration when things take a dip. And you're so right about Robson - the Geordie support, captain, Chairman and press all turned against him and drove him out.

The idea that Eddie isn't quite up to it is ridiculous. His results are no fluke because he's done it with two separate clubs - taking Bournemouth from administration at the bottom of the four divisions into the Premier League, and taking us from bottom of the Premier League to the Champions League in two years. The guy is outstanding.

Edited by Cronky

7 minutes ago, Cronky said:

Yeah, this is my worry too. The hunger for success, after so many years of deprivation, is so great that it can easily turn to anger and frustration when things take a dip. And you're so right about Robson - the Geordie support, captain, Chairman and press all turned against him and drove him out.

The idea that Eddie isn't quite up to it is ridiculous. His results are no fluke because he's done it with two separate clubs - taking Bournemouth from administration at the bottom of the four divisions into the Premier League, and taking us from bottom of the Premier League to the Champions League in two years. The guy is outstanding.

I grew up in Dorset, and growing up Bournemouth had the same sort of reputation as Gateshead or Hartlepool do up here.  It still feels a bit surreal seeing them on MOTD.