Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

I hate to agree with Hope, as hes usually a bell end lol, but I do agree with his points in his latest video, it wasnt the defeat that was the problem yesterday, it was the manner of it. 

Last seasons successes were built upon a foundation of togetherness and the sum of the parts being greater - this is beginning to look like it is not the same this season, and im not as of yet sure why.

Bruno is not playing well, Pope devoid of all confidence. The fabled best defence in the league can't buy a clean sheet, and without Botman looks frail and sluggish at best. Trippier isn't attacking probably as a result of the Defence being weak and the midfield are not holding the ball, pressing well or creating anything.

Its very worrying, and it is vital that they start to work harder for each other again, too many sloppy mistakes or half-arsed plays yesterday for this early in the game. 

The only thing Hope is wrong about is that Bruno/Tonali can't play together. It's far too early to say anything like that but it's also a strange point. They're not similar players and they play in a 3. Why isn't he saying Tonali can't play with Joelinton? 

He mentioned this after the 352 experiment in preseason and has now raised it again as a convenient controversial talking point for his rag.

Just my own concern but Trippier's not getting forward anything like as much as before. We've gone from a team that hits loads of crosses to one that hits very few.

The Villa game started with two goals from crosses but we've not seen many since. Almiron's biggest chance against Liverpool was from a Joelinton cross.

32 minutes ago, Stottie said:

Just my own concern but Trippier's not getting forward anything like as much as before. We've gone from a team that hits loads of crosses to one that hits very few.

The Villa game started with two goals from crosses but we've not seen many since. Almiron's biggest chance against Liverpool was from a Joelinton cross.

going to guess, that trippier has been staying back a little more because he was up against Grealish, Diaz, and Mitoma. Id argue Trippier did quite well against them all. When we’re playing teams that don’t have top left wingers I assume he’s going to be far more attacking focused like. 

10 hours ago, r0cafella said:

A lot of teams are using inverted fullbacks against us and creating a numerical advantage in midfield which is really making our press less effective. A lot of work for the Gaffa to do. 

Our lack of pace In the backline plus Popes lack of confidence is really hurting our ability to compress space also. 

hopefully we can gain some confidence in the games coming up. 

Fully agree. The first time a team did the box midfield to us was the 3-0 Villa game. Killed us. Arsenal beat us with it. Brighton tried but they couldn't beat our press consistently although they had some success with it which lead to the goal. At home, the intensity of the press is better and more effective. Villa had some success with it when we beat them 5-1 but the quality of the press won out that time and Villa didn't make the most of it.

We need a Plan B for when the press isn't working so well - especially away from home where teams have more confidence. Once you beat a press 2-3 times, our team loses confidence and composure and the other team gains it. The cost of it is that teams number 10's have the ball, their able to feed wingers 1v1 with fullbacks or make it tough for CBs and have loads of options on the ball. Then momentum goes the other way. 

26 minutes ago, Kanji said:

going to guess, that trippier has been staying back a little more because he was up against Grealish, Diaz, and Mitoma. Id argue Trippier did quite well against them all. When we’re playing teams that don’t have top left wingers I assume he’s going to be far more attacking focused like. 

Also teams are leaving their attackers up and exploiting the space that Trippier vacates - so he's sitting deeper.

Likewise teams have been giving Burn all the time in the world on the ball on the left - he's not going to do owt with it.

The recipes need evolution.

I must say I´m really really really disepointed in Howe, one of my favorit football person that exist. I just can´t recognize my team. We are playing scared of losing, we dont seems to have any stamina and our passing game is a joke. But worst of all, we dont seem to have any plan. Defend to our life and hit long?

The thing that I always has admired with Howe is his determination to win, and never be afraid. but this season, thats the only thing the team seems to do. be scare of losing.

Like I said. I´m som disapointed. What have we done all summer?

He's been tactically naive and unable to react to the other coaches moves in all our games really. really worrying.

2 minutes ago, ATB said:

I must say I´m really really really disepointed in Howe, one of my favorit football person that exist. I just can´t recognize my team. We are playing scared of losing, we dont seems to have any stamina and our passing game is a joke. But worst of all, we dont seem to have any plan. Defend to our life and hit long?

The thing that I always has admired with Howe is his determination to win, and never be afraid. but this season, thats the only thing the team seems to do. be scare of losing.

He's been tactically naive and unable to react to the other coaches moves in all our games really. really worrying.

Really, really, really disappointed or just really, really disappointed?

5 hours ago, Displayname said:

Thinks most of us thought we were an elite team after this summers recruitment, pre-season and first game against Villa. 

Impression I got was that a lot on here were of a similar mindset that 4th again would be a great success but generally were expected to drop a few places. That is my view so might have been seeing what I wanted to.

Fully expected a 94/95 to 93/94 ahead of schedule positional drop (*whilst still growing as a club generally) with the addition of CL catching us out at this point where we'd have been ready another season or two down the line.

Edited by Jonas

Technically we have a better team on paper than last year. If we convert the draws against lesser opposition to wins this season (unlike last) then I do not think these 3 early defeats will matter much in the long term. 

Since were judging on a few games whatever the criticism of Howe should be magnified with Emery rather than have him set as an example to follow.

We were well beaten by one good team, freakishly lost to another and lost narrowly at the best team in the world.

Emery has played two good teams this season and frankly been thrashed both times.

38 minutes ago, ATB said:

First game against Villa we romped it, second game against City we were pretty evenly matched and only took a slim 1-0 loss against the treble winning champions. Third game against Liverpool we somehow managed to fuck up against our bogey team while they were 1-0 down with 10 men and the fourth game we looked lifeless and poor away against a Brighton team who's been winning lots of plaudits this season and last. Should we have beaten Brighton? Probably, possibly. Liverpool is always a dicey game and City away was unlikely. On the whole I think we've had some god awful fixtures to start the season which will have dented our confidence, can we come back and have a decent season? Of course, we're only four games in with some new signings still gelling - the only worry is what such a dodgy start to the season will have on the players and whether Eddie can perhaps improve what seems to be a bit of a lack in 'plan B'... but the main thing to remember is, we're still early on in the grand plan with a team who perhaps overachieved last season - I know, it feels shit after being spoilt last season and perspective is hard to swallow in football, I for one need to remind myself of all the absolute positives and garner a bit more patience... regardless of how hard that can be.

Of course, we can still point our where our failures have been... just need to give Eddie and the boys time to sort it out and get back with the programme.

We outperformed last season and the season before because we were complete underdogs and had that unity and mentality that comes with it. Both avoiding relegation and the top 4 finish were beyond expectations and you could see the togetherness in the squad that came from being written off.

This season we're seen as a genuine threat to the top order and even (somewhat ridiculously) in the Champions League. There's a hype about us this year and suddenly that's a different problem to face.

So it's not as easy as replacing a few players for better ones and straight away expecting better results, a trap I fell into when thinking about transfer business.

Forest beat Chelsea despite yesterday with their togetherness meaning they were more of the sum of their parts. On paper, you'd hardly give them a chance, so Cooper is doing a hell of a job there.

I get the sense that Howe's comments about supporting his team were about trying to reinforce that bunker mentality - it's us against the world. It's what all top managers do, the biggest example being Alex Ferguson.