Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

12 minutes ago, Turnbull2000 said:

Guardian questioning whether Howe's playing style is sustainable https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/dec/09/howe-ditch-cup-ambitions-newcastle-running-on-empty

Seems to suggest we recently succeeded through intensity only, rather than any tactical nous.

I'd tend to trust Eddie's judgment over Louise Taylor's musings.

Is it a completely unreasonable question to ask with 15 first teamers out injured of the style of play is a factor?

I still think we’re paying a price for a lack of rotation at the start of the season.

The problem with the article for me is more the implication that Howe only knows one way to play.  I think he’s much smarter than that - he’ll find solutions and I’m pretty sure that our style will evolve as the squad evolves.  

A lot of it is budget constraints and constraints regarding the attraction of the club. It’s a style that requires good athletes, good people, smart patterns, drilling and massive graft on the training pitch; not spending £100m + on whoever.

Luckily we'll start getting players back in a week or two up until end of January. If no new injuries occurs, we'll only have Pope and Targett out from start of Feb which should allow some players to get a rest.

31 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

I’m sorry to hear she’s still writing / breathing.

But there’s truth in that. There’s limits to what we can achieve the way we play now and when it doesn’t work by God we can look hopeless. 

yeah but conversely, if that were the case, surely everyone would be doing it!

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Is it a completely unreasonable question to ask with 15 first teamers out injured of the style of play is a factor?

I still think we’re paying a price for a lack of rotation at the start of the season.

The problem with the article for me is more the implication that Howe only knows one way to play.  I think he’s much smarter than that - he’ll find solutions and I’m pretty sure that our style will evolve as the squad evolves.  

Remember Howe couldn’t build a team that could defend to save its life. Then last season happened. and before that, look how we played to avoid the drop. Howe is fine with changing his tactics. Sports journalists with Memento style memories shocker. 

2 hours ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

Remember Howe couldn’t build a team that could defend to save its life. Then last season happened. and before that, look how we played to avoid the drop. Howe is fine with changing his tactics. Sports journalists with Memento style memories shocker. 

And Wheyse Keyse Lewise has an agenda of her own.  That doesn’t mean that it isn’t a reasonable question to ask.

Eddie Howe knows more than all of us, shut the fuck up and get some big boy pants. :lol:

(Not directed at anyone specific)

Just don't pretend you know better. You don't. The man's a genius. The players are fucked and Howe wasn't even prepared to use the excuse pre match.

There's probably just about a valid case for playing different (and far worse) players instead of those currently in the side, and therefore it's probably fair enough to ask the question of the manager. Likewise regarding our tactical inflexibility. But Christ, there's no real solution to the current situation. We've been dealt a thoroughly shit hand.

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

There's probably a valid case for playing far worse players instead of those currently in the side, and therefore it's probably fair enough to ask the question of the manager. Likewise our tactical inflexibility. But Christ, there's no real solution to the current situation. We've been dealt a thoroughly shit hand.

Indeed, I know it sucks to question because how is obviously a fantastic manager and we wouldn’t change him for the world, but ultimately we had to make some changes even if it involved players who aren’t good enough/ready. 

We are now in a situation where we are getting battered whilst further depleting an empty tank its the worst of both worlds. 

18 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

No, but he's had options in Krafth, Dummett and Hall.

Playing either Dummett or Krafth against the pace of Son, Richarlson and Johnson would be suicide like :lol: