Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 hour ago, Shayve79 said:

Villa have a better squad than Newcastle and Spurs.

Apart from Emi Martínez and Watkins, they have good cover for every other position. Serious depth in midfield.

They have a good enough squad to run well in The Conference League and compete for top 4. I'd still be looking at another ST in January if were Emery though.

Let's see if they get 12 first team squad injuries that last 2 or 3 months.

1 hour ago, Geogaddi said:

Having watched Villa a few times this season I think you are very similar to us , excellent at home and not so great away from home , the difference is you do seem to be able to get results away from home even when you don't play that well like against Brentford , Spurs and Bournemouth .  We did the same last season but haven't been able to this season and it just shows the difference it makes.

Until the last few weeks, we had the 13th best away record, but I heard the other day it is now the 6th, which is much better, but this stuff fluctuates. We will pick up some shit results (we have already had a few) as you have, but over the course of the season both teams will be 'there or thereabouts' (which, I'll be honest, makes me feel queasy writing it, as it's a Bruce-ism).

Anyone can beat anyone in this league. It's hard to put together a linear improvement given that.

17 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

While this is true, I'm sure our normal approach to 1-0 leads isn't going to be to stop playing and park the bus. 

Circumstances have dictated that.

Totally agree - we did what we could yesterday - we could pick this and that - they scored in the 92nd minute through a howler 

We didn’t have the luxury to start with or bring on Tonali - Joe - Joe - Anderson - Isak - Barnes - Murphy - Schar 

I do think the next phase out of squad completion is to buy to ensure we can cope in the future - CB - 6 - RW - Attacker - if that bloats the squad so be it 

We certainly rode our luck at times in a couple of these, but were it not for a questionable penalty we win 1-0 in Paris and we did the job last night if not for Trippier's mistake. It would have been kind of fortunate but we might still be in the CL and we'd be back in the LC semifinal if not for those two moments. 

I think our away form is poor and also requires some additional context like the state of things heading into Bournemouth and Spurs, plus the number of late points we've dropped (which is partially fatigue / injuries and partially tactics).

2 hours ago, Orphanage said:

Until we can defend a 1-0 lead we wont be winning anything 

We could probably defend 1-0 leads if we had player we could bring on to keep the team going for 90+ mins.

28 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Just seen the main man himself in Gosforth Traders. Turning to wanky craft beer to drown his sorrows? Much to think about. 

No way is he drinking beer before 5pm. He'll be there for an espresso.

Edited by TRon

Alex Ferguson, arguably the greatest manager ever,  ended his first season at Man U in 11th position. Although ending up second in his second season he had another 11th finish in his third. 
People suggesting Howe is under pressure already with this squad, the fixtures we’ve had and the injuries we suffered, need to reflect on what could have happened if manu had decided not to play the long game  

1 hour ago, RS said:

Alex Ferguson, arguably the greatest manager ever,  ended his first season at Man U in 11th position. Although ending up second in his second season he had another 11th finish in his third. 
People suggesting Howe is under pressure already with this squad, the fixtures we’ve had and the injuries we suffered, need to reflect on what could have happened if manu had decided not to play the long game  

I remember us beating them in his first season, and we were singing Fergie on the dole during the match, and I am pretty sure their fans joined in, too.

1 hour ago, RS said:

From the end of last season...

On 23/05/2023 at 13:37, timeEd32 said:

I am definitely worried about how some supporters (and also PIF) will respond to inevitable downturns. Saw a Facebook comment on the NUFC CL post saying how this summer's priority should be Bellingham, Kane, and Rice. Expectations are going to go through the roof.

Just had a look and it's actually a bit eerie how similar Eddie's first 18 months are to SAF at Man United.

• Took over a team near the bottom of the table in November 
  • Ended up finishing 11th
  • Added a few new players (including Bruce) and they surprisingly finished 2nd in the league
    • They were never really in the title race, primarily due to too many draws

What happened next?

• A big signing (Mark Hughes) and big expectations, but they regressed to 11th
  • In the third full season a number of big signings, but they struggled and discontent was rising. It would have been a popular decision for many halfway through that third full season if he had been sacked. But then they went on a run and won the FA Cup. 
  • There were still doubts the next season when they finished sixth, but then they won the Cup Winners Cup. 
  • They lost out on the title the next year but won the League Cup and European Super Cup. 
  • They won the league title in 1992/93, Ferguson's seventh in charge.

I'm not sure a manager in the modern game would have survived the third or fourth year. There's only been five managers in the history of NUFC who have managed 200+ games and two of them were almost a century ago. There's no point in stability for stabilities sake, but with the right person in charge it can be a huge advantage compared to clubs that are constantly chopping and changing. We have a manager who will not be outworked by anyone in the league, who is not afraid to learn and evolve, and who I don't think views us as a stepping stone to anything bigger. I hope he is rewarded with patience when the time comes and I hope he's here for a very long time.

13 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

From the end of last season...

They’re building something special here. I’ve no doubt Eddie will be around for a long time. I’m just glad that now  I look forward to the matches and want to listen to the press conferences. We now have a team that most definitely cares and tries! 
the futures bright, the futures black and white 

United :indi:

3 hours ago, madras said:

Let's see if they get 12 first team squad injuries that last 2 or 3 months.

Exactly, brummie said they had a few key but pau and Watkins would seriously stretch them, or words to that affect. Ours is crazy right now

57 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

It’s a real travesty that we haven’t held Nuremberg trials or an Inquisition. We need explanations.

obviously I am being hyperbolic about a small percentage on here.

Ironically this fits more with the attitude held against people daring to say anything critical.

I've been on here on and off coming up to 20 years. In that time I don't think I've ever seen anyone who makes the "you're not allowed to say such and such on here" ever come to the really basic realisation that criticism of what you're saying isn't anything like being told that you can't say it.

It's so simple yet somehow seemingly rocket science level complicated for some people.

Absolute fannies man, have some conviction in your points instead of whinging to the imaginary referee about how people didn't like what you were saying.

Edited by Kid Icarus

5 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I've been on here on and off coming up to 20 years. In that time I don't think I've ever seen anyone who makes the "you're not allowed to say such and such on here" ever come to the really basic realisation that criticism of what you're saying isn't anything like being told that you can't say it.

It's so simple yet somehow seemingly rocket science level complicated for some people.

Absolute fannies man, have some conviction in your points instead of whinging to the imaginary referee about how people didn't like what you were saying.

Might be because we're getting old mate [emoji38]

10 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Good example.

I can assure you i dont give a single shit about what people here think of me. I do like a decent conversation level without insults though, but guess it makes me a fanny.

As I’ve said numerous times, what I find most irritating is this self victimization circle jerk a few  people get into. “People laughed when I said” or “forum police”. Not only on here; it’s all over the place. 

maybe it’s because I’m dealing with just that with this narcissistic woman who was one of the subjects in our film. Thankfully even the worst culprits on here aren’t nearly so bad, but I am just a bit hypersensitive to it.

I find it hard to criticise him based on a single mistake from a player. 

I have the same criticisms I’ve had all season of our play away from home. This is atleast the 4th game we’ve seen waves and waves of opposition attack with seemingly no response. That I find frustrating. But I would have had these criticisms if we had won. 

Fucking hell what is with all these daft rumours today? Like Trippier people need to find reasons for errors beyond the person in question simply being fallible. Eddie Howe’s personal life is to blame for us not being able to string 3 passes together away from home.

59 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

Fucking hell what is with all these daft rumours today? Like Trippier people need to find reasons for errors beyond the person in question simply being fallible. Eddie Howe’s personal life is to blame for us not being able to string 3 passes together away from home.

Feeling quite thankful I have no idea what you’re referring to.