Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Nah, he ain’t taking the England job. He’s not the type to walk away on an unfinished project in my opinion, he’s always struck me as being a very loyal guy. Look at his comments re Ashworth.
The FA may want him and approach him, but he won’t take it. Much more likely to be Carsley.

6 hours ago, TRon said:

I just saw Fat Sam on Sky saying we should never give the job to a foreign manager after failing with this experiment previously, so I'm assuming we probably will go for an English manager. I just don't think the FA would take the risk of appointing a non-English candidate at this point.

If the women's national team can go foreign, no reason the men's can't. 

There is absolutely zero chance that my close personal friend Eddie Howe - whose inner mind I know so well - would think for one moment to accept a more high profile, better paid and more prestigious job.

3 minutes ago, Paulinho said:

There is absolutely zero chance that my close personal friend Eddie Howe - whose inner mind I know so well - would think for one moment to accept a more high profile, better paid and more prestigious job.

Southgate on £5m i read somewhere. Is it better paid?

Edited by LFEE

2 hours ago, 54 said:

Unpopular opinion: Howe wouldn't be a good England manager, he needs time for his methods to take shape, it took him 10 games to get to that Leeds win when he first joined, and since then, he's tends to give new signings time to get up to speed.

That time he would not have in the 2 weeks he'll get 4 times a season as well as the 2 weeks before a tournament.

Disagree unfortunately - was then ten games because that’s just how long it takes or because of the shape of the squad he inherited?

You can’t take our bottom of the table Bruce squad along side what would be his hand picked players and say “oh well they’ll both take ten games”.

For what it’s worth I think he’ll turn it down but I truly believe he could do the job if he accepted.

Edited by Gawalls

I think if Southgate stays on two more years that's a bit more dangerous, if the job comes up again summer 2026 Howe will have been here nigh on 5 years and may see that as a good time to make a move, depending on what happens over the next few years. Don't see him taking it right now.

Hopefully they go for a long-term appointment like Potter or someone they'll give time to (Carsley) and it won't come up again for a good while.

Whether Howe would or not, and whether it'd be a good thing or not is irrelevant IMO.

I don't see any situation where the FA give the Saudis any level of compensation...

The FA are massively risk adverse and won't want a media storm or questions asked.

The next England manager will either be in the system (Carsley) or available on a free (Lampard or Potter).

Edited by BlazeT44

55 minutes ago, Pilko said:

I think if Southgate stays on two more years that's a bit more dangerous, if the job comes up again summer 2026 Howe will have been here nigh on 5 years and may see that as a good time to make a move, depending on what happens over the next few years. Don't see him taking it right now.

Hopefully they go for a long-term appointment like Potter or someone they'll give time to (Carsley) and it won't come up again for a good while.

You know, who's to say, if Howe keeps his head down, in a few years time he could be in the hot seat. 

Howe would go round the bend in International management. The bloke clearly lives for the day-to-day stuff, working with players every day, working on tactics, training and developing players, watching footage and looking for areas of weakness to exploit every single week in different teams. Buying and selling players, new contracts when necessary, looking at the youth players and taking an interest in the club at every single level. Managing his team against a different team every few days and just the general cut and thrust of big club management in one of the biggest leagues in the world. That's his drug and he's not giving that up for any International team. 

I can understand him being tempted but it's just not him. He needs the involvement on a daily basis, he needs his hit of football

Previous quotes from Eddie on this very situation, just to assuage a few

“It is not on my radar at all. It is all Newcastle and trying to make this team better. I have always said I love the day to day coaching, love being with the players on the training ground, international football you get that taken away for long periods. At this moment in my life that is not something I want to do.”

He ain’t fkn leaving

12 minutes ago, Fak said:

You know, who's to say, if Howe keeps his head down, in a few years time he could be in the hot seat. 

Tindall could end up being assistant England manager. Assistant TO the England manager.

I highly doubt he’d take it, I wasn’t worried at all til I started doubting myself after seeing some doubt in here. I’ve no doubt England would want him, but can’t see any manager leaving any of the clubs at our end of the table for international football, not these days. I imagine he’d fancy it one day, but not when he’s at a club challenging for the CL.

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

Southgate on £5m i read somewhere. Is it better paid?

Howe is on £4M (according to reports).

So it would be a pay rise,  but equally if he makes it through this season with us and does well then a contract extension and pay rise would seem likely.

9 hours ago, Tiresias said:

I'm not sure what would annoy me more, losing Howe, or Gerrard or Lampard getting the job

Howe getting the England job and Gerrard or Lampard managing us would annoy me the most 

32 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

I highly doubt he’d take it, I wasn’t worried at all til I started doubting myself after seeing some doubt in here. I’ve no doubt England would want him, but can’t see any manager leaving any of the clubs at our end of the table for international football, not these days. I imagine he’d fancy it one day, but not when he’s at a club challenging for the CL.

He’s not going anywhere. Massive season ahead for us.

18 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

Howe is on £4M (according to reports).

So it would be a pay rise,  but equally if he makes it through this season with us and does well then a contract extension and pay rise would seem likely.

I’m sure we would look to offer a new deal if the threat of him becoming London FC manager is real.

Would never, ever happen but my wish is for the bacon muncher to get it. After reading how great he was and how nasty the Newcastle fans were to him, I feel the country should get what they want. 

6 hours ago, gbandit said:

I think Howe leaving would be disastrous for us, would be good news for England though. I have no idea whether he’d take it or not, I’m sure none of us do 

I don’t think it would be disastrous, but it would be a pain in the arse.  I don’t picture us appointing a buffoon should the worst happen.

This is one of the few times when the England job might tempt a younger manager with an excellent reputation.  It’s a cracking squad at the moment.

It’ll be Potter or Carsley would be my bet, though.