Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

8 minutes ago, Novocastrian said:

We need a CDM or at least one of the three needs to take that role and sit deeper. Burn being caught out on CM is not the answer.

Nearly every team plays with either 1 or 2 sitting midfielders, it's bizarre we don't. It's the main reason I'm leaning towards wanting Howe out. I'd reset at the end of the season. 

I’d reset by going back to a midfield of 

Joelinton Willock Bruno Longstaff Gordon

which other than Gordon is the midfield that got us into Europe.

Then gradually reintroduce some of the other players

2 minutes ago, Heron said:

We aren't far off. People talk about RWd and Strikers but perhaps a proper DM sorts us out significantly

Think this is one of the issues, though. Eddie won't play with a DM (could be wrong here obviously, but all evidence suggests otherwise). Like we've all said, the midfield 3 is the thing he needs to tweak and get right as his main priority.

1 minute ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Howe, Staveley & co did a good job but they're obviously not an elite scputing network, "the Brighton model" is an overused term but it's been obvious since the takeover that it's what we need.

Fuck knows what that little tosser Ashworth was playing at, but Mitchell seems to have sussed the issue.

I don't think Howe having his nephew on the scouting department is a positive either. Reeks of nepotism.

Howe was holding the England job over the club's head in the summer coming out with Benitez-esque comments in Germany. But imo Staveley et al allowed him quasi free rein in the transfer market. Ashworth presumably part of that. That's now gone, Howe wasn't happy about it and the following friction resulted in that mess of a summer. 

Away from that for a sec, on the pitch we're consistently regressing with no clear way out. It's so stale, and I think the players know that too.

3 minutes ago, 54 said:

Also, fuck sacking a manager after one bad run of form, thats Chelsea under Abramovich bullshit, and I absolutely detest that system. 

It’s not for one bad run of form though. It’s for not changing his approach. Same failings here are the same 12 months ago, so upstairs will be thinking “Do we give this guy £120m+ worth of players?”. And that’s a legit question, because Guehi/Elanga wouldn’t change the issues through the middle.

Howe needs to change his ways, and say this is where we need players. I’m confident we could stick Bellingham in the midfield and he will look average as it’s a set up that doesn’t get the best out of anyone playing in it.

10 minutes ago, nufc4eva said:

We could if we recruit in better ways. Our technical ability is awful. Fuck spending 70 million on a centre half, sort out midfield and wings, need a creative type in that midfield and probably move to 2 in middle holiding and 1 in front, we get cut open too much to play that 433

This is the thing. We need to get every single big transfer right otherwise we fall behind years in one transfer window. This is how they’ve stacked the cards against us. 

Just now, SiLvOR said:

Think this is one of the issues, though. Eddie won't play with a DM (could be wrong here obviously, but all evidence suggests otherwise). Like we've all said, the midfield 3 is the thing he needs to tweak and get right as his main priority.

Yeah, I guess that's what he needs to resolve then and if he doesn't then it will be the straw that breaks the camels back.

5 minutes ago, Heron said:

Get your point and the frustration, but I'm confident it will click for us at some point through some minor tinkering.

We aren't far off. People talk about RWs and Strikers but perhaps a proper DM sorts us out significantly.

I am keeping my faith in Howe as quite simply - he warrants it.

It would, but Howe doesn't play one. Never has.

Definitely as concerned as I have been at any point in his tenure. I don't think he's been due masses of criticism up to now this season, particularly the two games prior to today where we dropped points almost exclusively because of finishing. But you'd have to be blinkered not to recognise that there are fundamental issues with our ability to collect points at the moment. We've been decent at best this season, and fleetingly so. Today was very fucking limp. 

Needs to shake things up because at the moment he's doing the same things and expecting different results. 

He's got a squad with a half dozen players that are good enough (less going off most comments) to achieve what people expect him to achieve.

Were having a midtable season thus far with upper midtable (6-8th) being realistically the high watermark of what we can sustain under current legislature.

Never seen any protests, heard any songs or anything like that about Sir Bobby, just some rumblings, had some myself as saying you're leaving at the end of the season always seemed to have a negative effect, and dismissed the idea that people wanted him out - but with this Howe stuff I can easily believe it now sadly.

Edited by Jonas

We used to be a really nasty side to play against, pressed and ran every team of the pitch and were extremely hard to score against. But could struggle to break teams down a bit against sides who set up defensively.

Last year we seemed to sacrifice a fair bit of that and were much more open but had a more fluid attack and created and scored a lot more. 

This season on the whole seems more a combination of the leaky and exposed defence but with the stale attack. 

2 minutes ago, Heron said:

Get your point and the frustration, but I'm confident it will click for us at some point through some minor tinkering.

We aren't far off. People talk about RWs and Strikers but perhaps a proper DM sorts us out significantly.

It’s like we keep trying the same thing yet expect a different result (definition of insanity) He’s got my backing for the season and let’s see what January brings. Something is off atm, I missed the press conference where he mentioned  harmony issues within the team. I hope this all works out soon, but another few losses and the crowd will be booing us off. I hope it doesn’t go that way, and I would love Eddie to be the manager that helps us win something.Time will tell. I’m still hoping for revenge on Wednesday :indi:

1 minute ago, Heron said:

We keep talking about a proper DM but there are players here that could do that job in the short term, especially in certain games. The system and the way Eddie wants us to play is without a DM. He wants the flat three. Anytime anyone criticizes some of Eddie's decisions it's always reduced back to PSR and the players available but he sets them out to play this way, these are his tactics, his coaching and his set plays and subs etc. I like Eddie I think he's done great things here and I would love him to be a success here but this past calendar year it's not really working as well as it did and that's worth analyzing and he's not blameless in that.  

Not sure it is his fault necessarily, the recruitment is a much bigger issue for a club with our ambitions imo, but I would be stunned if he survives this season without massive improvement. The table is not inaccurate for this group at all, they perform and look like a mid table team. Like most sides of that pedigree, there are a few real high quality players and occasionally we flash ability to play at a higher level. However, we are completely incapable of imposing our style of play in matches, remain very inconsistent, and do not have the quality to replace from the bench or adjust when the top players are injured or not in form. 

The team is 12th and the next two matches are Arsenal at home and then a very tough away trip to the City Ground (Nuno's team are horrible to play against). There is every chance that the table looks very grim for this team in a fortnight. It is hard to know how the owners react in this situation as we haven't seen them deal with it before, but if we are 13th or 14th at the international break, it is a position that leads to managers getting sacked more often that not. 

I like Howe, but would not begrudge a change at this point. The team is just not hard to play against at this moment. I would prefer a manager that can restore defensive solidity if he is replaced. 

Edited by Segun Oluwaniyi

Need someone that would be happy with a director of football above him. 

So rafa would be a no go. 

A part of me still would like to see what he could do with our options we have. 

1 minute ago, 54 said:

The first 4 games of the season, we where playing really poorly and getting results. These last 4, we've played alot better (although not as good as we could do) and have got nothing. Football can be frustrating at times. :lol: 

Also, fuck sacking a manager after one bad run of form, thats Chelsea under Abramovich bullshit, and I absolutely detest that system. 

I agree on not sacking a manager after a run of poor form, but what we’re seeing looks more fundamental.  The players look unmotivated and apathetic. 
I also think our broken record tactics and defensive naivety are contributing to our poor form.

I’m not saying I want Eddie to lose his job, but if he doesn’t come up with some new ideas quickly, I don’t think he can be surprised if he does. 

1 minute ago, PauloGeordio said:

It’s like we keep trying the same thing yet expect a different result (definition of insanity) He’s got my backing for the season and let’s see what January brings. Something is off atm, I missed the press conference where he mentioned  harmony issues within the team. I hope this all works out soon, but another few losses and the crowd will be booing us off. I hope it doesn’t go that way, and I would love Eddie to be the manager that helps us win something.Time will tell. I’m still hoping for revenge on Wednesday :indi:

We can beat these twats at home. Go man for man on Palmer and we beat them.

5 minutes ago, Heron said:

It's absolutely fair to critique Howe by the way and he does need to change things up and find a solution, but the way some folk go on, on here is nothing short of ridiculous. You'd think he hadn't dragged a championship side to almost the top ten and then into the CL and a cup final...

What Championship sides have 3 players like Botman, Bruno and Isak?

Would like us to give 3 at the back a try, we have the players for it, and it'd suit Hall and Tino massively imo. Something like this could look sweet:

team?players=280484:Pope,189982:Sch%C3%A

1 minute ago, Jaqen said:

We used to be a really nasty side to play against, pressed and ran every team of the pitch and were extremely hard to score against. But could struggle to break teams down a bit against sides who set up defensively.

Last year we seemed to sacrifice a fair bit of that and were much more open but had a more fluid attack and created and scored a lot more. 

This season on the whole seems more a combination of the leaky and exposed defence but with the stale attack. 

We have regressed in every way. “Intensity is our identity”, is it?

The shithousery has long gone. We are an absolute soft touch.

Injuries played a big part last season and bought Howe time. We haven’t evolved in any way, shape or form. It’s stale as fuck on the pitch, and stale as fuck off it too. 

Backing him by signing Elanga, Gheui and Calvert Lewin would’ve done nowt but landed us in PSR trouble either. 

I do not feel he has it in him to improve us.