Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Just now, The Prophet said:

Other than one stinker against Leicester, yes. The defence is playing better as a collective, fitness is improving and we actually go after teams.

Generally speaking, performances have improved week on week. The side that drew with Man United was far better coached than the one that drew with Brentford.

And todays was worse against a team of no marks?!?

I don't agree about the defence either.

I just don't see any significant impact tbh.

I don't deny he 'gets it' and his PR is better than Bruces (hard to be worse) but I've seen nothing from him yet to think we're in the hands of a managerial genius.

7 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Yeah i agree but we can’t have it both ways as Neesy said. Bruce was dog shit, this isn’t a defence of him btw 

Hmm. The way I would see it, Bruce systemically destroyed an established team and was rightly slated for it.

Howe has inherited a winless squad, completely bereft of confidence, fitness and tactical awareness and is in the midst of an incredibly tough rebuild. 

Performances so far have been up and down and results obviously haven't been great, but I'm not convinced any other manager would've done much better in the games we've played with this bunch of players. 

He's not immune from criticism but I don't agree that it's hypocritical to not hit him with the same criticism Bruce received either, the two scenarios are vastly different. 

Obviously this was a terrible game to lose and most definitely the lowest point of Howes reign so far. Drawing against Norwich comes close but that was all Clarks fault.

I think other than these two games, it's been pretty much what I expected from him. The next 4 games are the biggest test of him and this squad (including whoever else we get in).

Whatever happens, I don't think the new owners will stick with a captain watching the ship sink. 

He'll be here until the end of the season at the very least, and possibly kicking off the season in the Champo, but if this shit continues he'll be out.

Just now, ManDoon said:

Exactly how I feel, and like you I literally never want to see Bruce’s fat face ever again. It’s weird it’s like any criticism is met with “oh yeah get rid of him great idea!” I don’t want him gone. However 1 win in 9 and this loss today is the stark reality 

Under Howe we have been massively unlucky, fucked by VAR/individual errors.

Under Bruce over the years we were massively lucky, was only a matter of time before that luck ran out.

1 minute ago, kisearch said:

Context is everything, especially after the takeover, yet always gets ignored for some bizarre reason. People used to say the same about Rafa, that he should only be judged on what he was doing at Newcastle. Nonsense, Rafa got leeway because he'd been a very successful manager for years, Steve Bruce got a hard time straight away because we had 20 years of watching him being a shit football manager. Eddie Howe will get a good chance because we saw what he achieved with Bournemouth and what he's trying to do here.

Deliberately ignoring the wider context and keeping the blinkers only on their time at Newcastle is deliberate ignorance surely.

I'm judging him based on what I'm seeing him deliver at NUFC, I'm not interested in his time at Bournemouth.

I'm not in any way suggesting he gets the bullet, btw, but what I am saying is that he's had very very limited material impact since Bruce left.

1 win from 9 games is always going to have questions asked.

Especially when that includes three home games against Cambridge, Norwich and Brentford achieving 1 point and a cup exit.

A lot of our issues are from Bruce, but he’s had nine games to start churning improvements out and other than Joelinton, I can’t think of a single other player who has improved under him.

I can name a few more who have got worse though.

I don’t think he’s helped by the fact players are going to be very unsettled knowing they are going to be replaced. But as I’ve said before, he isn’t making best use of the players he currently has.

3 minutes ago, Minhosa said:

I don't think the squad is as bad as everyone makes out tbh. Certainly capable of survival before the new owners go and throw £100m at it. If we go down now, after huge spend, it's just as much on Howe as Bruce for me tbh.

Not sure that's true tbh. We survived with sheer luck two seasons ago, loads of late goals from defenders, then last season we looked doomed until Willock arrived and started scoring for fun. 

This season we had 3 points from 7 games and the park the bus tactics had been rumbled. There's no way we were surviving playing that way either. 

Just now, Fantail Breeze said:

1 win from 9 games is always going to have questions asked.

Especially when that includes three home games against Cambridge, Norwich and Brentford achieving 1 point and a cup exit.

A lot of our issues are from Bruce, but he’s had nine games to start churning improvements out and other than Joelinton, I can’t think of a single other player who has improved under him.

I can name a few more who have got worse though.

I don’t think he’s helped by the fact players are going to be very unsettled knowing they are going to be replaced. But as I’ve said before, he isn’t making best use of the players he currently has.

Which players do you think could be improved?

Guest neesy111
2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I wasn't referring to your post, just the mood of the forum generally.

So just criticism of him after losing at home to league 1 Cambridge = forum mood of wanting him sacked.  Yes, some had said he's shite etc but that is not a forum mood.

That's one of the worst takes I can remember.

Edited by neesy111

1 minute ago, Menace said:

No one wants him sacked though. It's far too early, doesn't necessarily mean he's immune to criticism. If he has another 9 games with a similar % ratio then people will start to get uncomfortable

And we’ll be relegated.