Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Enjoyed the presser today. Good craic about Tindall, some interesting stuff about tactics etc (good question from Jacob Steinberg about long range shots), and a bit of fuckyouery about time-wasting bullshit. Bit of pisstsking out of Ryder n'all for good measure. 

On 10/05/2023 at 22:01, LionOfGosforth said:

Zenden was fairly decent for Chelsea if memory serves, though not in Robert's class. Jeffers was just shit and a right cunt to boot. 

The Solako thing, I had totally forgotten that happened, think he signed for Coventry instead and played against us opening day. Ginola was fucking incredible that day as well :lol:

we also nearly signed Chris Armstrong (looked like he had potential tbf and a local lad) ahead of Sir Les too

2 minutes ago, OCOCOL said:

we also nearly signed Chris Armstrong (looked like he had potential tbf and a local lad) ahead of Sir Les too

Yeah I think that was the summer when a lot of big money (for the time) strikers moved around. We signed Les, Armstrong to Spurs, Collymore to Liverpool as well

Howe has done an unbelievable job this year however my only concern going into the summer is whether he is too loyal to some players and he may have a reluctance to say thanks for all your work but we need to move you on (i'm thinking Murphy, Dummett, Ritchie, Lewis, Fraser,  Manquillo, Burn & Krafth)

There has been rumbling's that he wants to keep Ritchie and Dummett around but you can only register 25 players in a squad so it just doesn't make sense if we want to improve and be a regular in europe and we have so much deadwood we need to start moving on starting this summer and bringing in quality for the starting XI and massively improving our bench (IMO our bench is bottom half PL quality)

The only reason he might keep Dummett I suppose is because i think you need to register 4 home grown at club players in the CL

Can't blame him for the experiment with the forward line but you'd assume at this point that he'll see there's no longevity in playing Isak down the left from the start. 

21 minutes ago, NUFC said:

Howe has done an unbelievable job this year however my only concern going into the summer is whether he is too loyal to some players and he may have a reluctance to say thanks for all your work but we need to move you on (i'm thinking Murphy, Dummett, Ritchie, Lewis, Fraser,  Manquillo, Burn & Krafth)

There has been rumbling's that he wants to keep Ritchie and Dummett around but you can only register 25 players in a squad so it just doesn't make sense if we want to improve and be a regular in europe and we have so much deadwood we need to start moving on starting this summer and bringing in quality for the starting XI and massively improving our bench (IMO our bench is bottom half PL quality)

The only reason he might keep Dummett I suppose is because i think you need to register 4 home grown at club players in the CL

I'd add Almiron to the list of players to move on and keep Burn, Ritchie and Dummett like.

Cannot understand his thinking on the subs today.

"Let's bring on Gordon.  A man who hasn't looked remotely good enough in large spells.  Oh and ASM too, who is completely unpredictable and you don't know what is going to turn up."

And we were 2-1 up.  

And we took off Wilson.

Madness.

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

Can't blame him for the experiment with the forward line but you'd assume at this point that he'll see there's no longevity in playing Isak down the left from the start. 

This.

It ruins the balance and forces him to defend. I can understand it when the game opens up, but Isak was gassed here. 

The game went to shit as soon as Wilson came off to be honest. We lacked all sense of tactical discipline going forward. 

Again, I know it’s football, but we really need to work on stop giving away so many needless fouls. Our players seem to lose their heads very quickly.

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

With ASM unfit, the two Joes needed in midfield and Gordon not firing he didn’t have much choice. I don’t think it was an experiment as much as working with the squad available.

Today it was really a choice of Isak or Gordon starting left.

Hopefully by Thursday the options look different 

Don't think it's controversial to say his decisions didn't really work out today but I can see the theory behind it. Isak at LW has already been discussed, but re the attacking subs; you can see the logic in trying to kill it off when the game is stretched. Particularly when we've been so free-scoring away from home. It just didn't work out and the criticism is fair enough. I wasn't criticising it at the time, though. 

12 minutes ago, TheInfiniteOdyssey said:

The game went to shit as soon as Wilson came off to be honest. We lacked all sense of tactical discipline going forward. 

Again, I know it’s football, but we really need to work on stop giving away so many needless fouls. Our players seem to lose their heads very quickly.

You're right. Had Wilson stayed on, we'd probably get a third on the counter.

Hope he knows his team for the  Brighton game. Get that wrong, Brighton will punish us.

The problem with starting Wilson and Isak in the same eleven is both seem to be 70 minute players in this setup so both are knackered at roughly the same time. And we have no fresh alternatives to bring on up top. It's making it hard to change games. 

We were really bad today. Don’t know how much flack Howe needs to take for it though. The players have given their all since the start of the season and are blatantly knackered. We have poor squad depth and seem mentally exhausted (hence falling for the opponent’s shithousingSo easily).

I sincerely hope we can hold on to a CL place - to drop it in the final few matches would be such a disappointment. Before the season anyone would’ve taken an EL place but after the performances we’ve had (as well as having had our hand on a CL place for so much of the season) it would be pretty devastating tbh. 

I think people should have a slightly more realistic perspective.  Away at Elland Road, with them fighting for their lives is never going to be an automatic 3 points.

With a manager like Big Sam, who lets face it, knows how to pick up points.  Was always going to be difficult.

1 minute ago, Ben said:

Security around Howe was shocking today, that numpty could have done anything by the time they got to him 

Allardyce is allowed to be there tbf