Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Just now, gjohnson said:

Now that is how a manager should be. Hopefully he keeps the same humility when he lifts our next trophy.

Awesome 

I’m sure he’ll be the last person on his list credited for the achievement! 

4 hours ago, Begbie said:

Sir Bobby Robson also took over a complete hoples Newcastle at the time, we had 1 point from the first 6 games. Kenny Dalglish and Gullit had ripped appart our team and team Spirit. Sir Bobby managed to get us up to 11th with those players, and later he made us a top 4 team in the league for some seasons.

Not sure why you don't think we can compare Eddie and Bobby.  Eddie Howe took a team in a more dire situation (5 points from 11 games) and also got us to 11th.  This season we're on track for top 4 - a year quicker than Bobby managed.

1 hour ago, KaKa said:

Pardew never looked the real deal ever.

He did to people that only look at results, just like that one season of Bruce where he SURPASSED anything Rafa ever did while being dead last in the league in expected points. :lol:

Edited by Pata

Go back to the conclusion of 2011/12 and plenty of people, myself included, were saying Pardew was - at least - the best since Robson, even in spite of there being a general recognition that results often bettered the performances themselves, and he all but stumbled upon that formation which saw us hurtle towards a high finish. I'm sure very few on here were begrudging his Manager of the Year award at the time. 

I'm dangerously close to defending Pardew there; the point I'm taking too long to get to is that it's definitely incredibly premature to put Howe on a pedestal with Keegan, imo. He's had a sensational start and his trajectory indicates a very good chance of him surpassing the achievements of the very best in my lifetime, but he's not there yet. Keegan took us from oblivion to title challengers in about five minutes, meanwhile Bobby took a broken team and made them consistent European challengers - granted it took a couple full seasons.

They've also (and I realise this will be unpopular but imo it's definitely true) got more charisma in their little fingers than Howe does total. He's a likeable bloke and I have all the respect in the world for the way he carries himself, but I couldn't 'listen to him all day' in the same way I would the other two. I acknowledge though that his media style has contributed to his success so far, so it's not meant as a criticism in any way, shape or form; just a comparison. 

I love that he is our manager and feel optimistic that he's going to break our duck, and at that point he'll have pipped the others aforementioned. But until then...

2 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Go back to the conclusion of 2011/12 and plenty of people, myself included, were saying Pardew was - at least - the best since Robson, even in spite of there being a general recognition that results often bettered the performances themselves, and he all but stumbled upon that formation which saw us hurtle towards a high finish. I'm sure very few on here were begrudging his Manager of the Year award at the time. 

I'm dangerously close to defending Pardew there; the point I'm taking too long to get to is that it's definitely incredibly premature to put Howe on a pedestal with Keegan, imo. He's had a sensational start and his trajectory indicates a very good chance of him surpassing the achievements of the very best in my lifetime, but he's not there yet. Keegan took us from oblivion to title challengers in about five minutes, meanwhile Bobby took a broken team and made them consistent European challengers - granted it took a couple full seasons.

They've also (and I realise this will be unpopular but imo it's definitely true) got more charisma in their little fingers than Howe does total. He's a likeable bloke and I have all the respect in the world for the way he carries himself, but I couldn't 'listen to him all day' in the same way I would the other two. I acknowledge though that his media style has contributed to his success so far, so it's not meant as a criticism in any way, shape or form; just a comparison. 

I love that he is our manager and feel optimistic that he's going to break our duck, and at that point he'll have pipped the others aforementioned. But until then...

Very interesting thoughts and I agree to a point. On the charisma thing, I think Eddie protects himself (and the players by extension) by being cool and calm and calculating in every media interview. He keeps emotions well out of it and manages interviews really well. It doesn't lead to any true insights, I suspect he is very different on a personal level and off-camera, but yeah, his interviews all sound broadly the same. It won't win him any charisma awards but at the end of the day, I think it's a self-preservation thing and keeps controversy far away. 

Besides, in the charisma stakes, who can beat SBR saying "our tickets are selling like cream cakes" :lol:

Pardew had a fantastic set of players at his disposal and ultimately screwed it up in the end by being the moron he always is. 

There was nothing special about his setup or tactical approach, whatsoever. That season was all about great moments from Ben Arfa, Ba, Cisse and Cabaye.

5 hours ago, KaKa said:

Pardew never looked the real deal ever.

Yeah our mediocre GD suggested that we were fairly lucky that season. Howe has at least continued the same form for a season and a half.

Edited by Vinny Green Balls

4 hours ago, Troll said:

Not sure why you don't think we can compare Eddie and Bobby.  Eddie Howe took a team in a more dire situation (5 points from 11 games) and also got us to 11th.  This season we're on track for top 4 - a year quicker than Bobby managed.

Bobby took over a much better team that just needed a bit of guidance. Given, Solano, Speed, Dyer, Shearer, Ferguson with some decent players around that like Barton, Lee, Dabizas and Hughes...

The squad Howe inherited was shocking. 

15 hours ago, Yorkie said:

Keegan in particular was charismatic, but you've come close to saying that Eddie is a bit dull, which I think is unfair. In fact, he's quite funny, as is often seen during the pressers where his repartee with the journos is often full of humour. And with all due respect to the other two gentlemen, I think Eddie has the sort of wide ranging intelligence that would make him great company if one had the chance to spend an hour with him. 

Keegan's charisma enabled him to attract great players to the club, inspire the owners to invest and commit to his dream, and provide great excitement to the fans. His place in our history is secure, in that he changed the thinking and ambition of the club. But he had the faults of the charismatic too - a lack of interest in detail, an up and down temperament, and a tendency to use emotion rather than calculation in his decisions. Not faults that you'd lay at Eddie's door.

I think Eddie is almost anti-charismatic, shown in the way he puts himself at the back of team celebration photos. He sees his role as making others feel charismatic.

At 66, I should have grown out of hero-worship. But there you are. Can't help it.

17 hours ago, STM said:

Basically called Sam Allardyce ridiculous. [emoji38]

:lol: Considering how diplomatic he is by default I had to do a double take because that is quite a dig by his very polite standards.

2 hours ago, Cronky said:

Keegan in particular was charismatic, but you've come close to saying that Eddie is a bit dull, which I think is unfair. In fact, he's quite funny, as is often seen during the pressers where his repartee with the journos is often full of humour. And with all due respect to the other two gentlemen, I think Eddie has the sort of wide ranging intelligence that would make him great company if one had the chance to spend an hour with him. 

Keegan's charisma enabled him to attract great players to the club, inspire the owners to invest and commit to his dream, and provide great excitement to the fans. His place in our history is secure, in that he changed the thinking and ambition of the club. But he had the faults of the charismatic too - a lack of interest in detail, an up and down temperament, and a tendency to use emotion rather than calculation in his decisions. Not faults that you'd lay at Eddie's door.

I think Eddie is almost anti-charismatic, shown in the way he puts himself at the back of team celebration photos. He sees his role as making others feel charismatic.

At 66, I should have grown out of hero-worship. But there you are. Can't help it.

That's all fair enough; it's quite a subjective thing I suppose. Certainly agree wholeheartedly with the point about allowing others to demonstrate their own personalities.

I don't think he's dull, I just think Keegan and Robson were/are profoundly joyful to listen to; probably helped by their intrinsic love for the club/area which Howe couldn't possibly have. I do enjoy Howe's intensity and his earnest and professional demeanour remains the perfect antidote from the lasting horrors of Bruce.

I'm looking forward to the documentary tbf and seeing more of him in his natural environment. If you're doing them right, there's nothing candid about press conferences if you're a manager.

18 hours ago, KaKa said:

Pardew had a fantastic set of players at his disposal and ultimately screwed it up in the end by being the moron he always is. 

There was nothing special about his setup or tactical approach, whatsoever. That season was all about great moments from Ben Arfa, Ba, Cisse and Cabaye.

All of whom played the best football of their career here, it must be said.

Random thought that I just have to write down.

As soon as you apply any context to the debate about manager of the season, as opposed to just 'this guy won the league'.

Eddie is definitely the true winner. He has done it with this squad and from an awful position. The other contenders just don't even compare, winning the league with Man City oh wow, winning or coming second with an Arsenal team that's been decent for ages, meh.

1 hour ago, BonesJones said:

Random thought that I just have to write down.

As soon as you apply any context to the debate about manager of the season, as opposed to just 'this guy won the league'.

Eddie is definitely the true winner. He has done it with this squad and from an awful position. The other contenders just don't even compare, winning the league with Man City oh wow, winning or coming second with an Arsenal team that's been decent for ages, meh.

This ??

On 07/05/2023 at 00:45, Yorkie said:

Robson took quite a lot longer to turn the team round than Howe has - and if Howe qualified for the CL for me he’s surpassed him immediately.  Robson had a squad of (in relative terms) better players, and took two seasons - and a fair bit of cash - to get them above mid table.  NUFC were already one of the richest clubs in world football when he took over, and there wasn’t a gamut of rich and powerful clubs to get past at that time.  Robson was clearly more charismatic than Howe, but that isn’t too important for me. 

I enjoyed Robson’s time here, but unlike Keegan - who truly did perform something of a miracle - he just did a very good job for most of it.  I still find the presence of his statue a bit puzzling tbh.