Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

9 hours ago, The Prophet said:

He's guided the odds on favourites and most valuable squad in the league to another title. It's a lazy selection.

Also City didn't win the league - Arsenal threw it away.

Edited by duo

2 minutes ago, duo said:

Also City didn't win the league - Arsenal threw it away.

Disagree with that. They were chased down and, in the end, comfortably surpassed by a much better team.

17 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

Disagree with that. They were chased down and, in the end, comfortably surpassed by a much better team.

I thought Arsenal played some of the better football this season - just ran out of steam. Not the squad depth of City nor Haaland who is basically like a cheat code.

Any manager on the short list with city’s squad would have challenged for the league this season. I don’t think many of them could have done what Howe has done with our squad this year.

Should have been Howe.

7 hours ago, Wullie said:

As a comparison, when Pardew won it, Mancini got 89 points (the same as this season) but that was their first PL title, a much bigger hurdle than 4th in 5 seasons and 3rd in a row.

Howe's achievement is infinitely more impressive than that was, not just where he started from and the players he's improved but anyone who watched Pardew's team for more than 5 minutes could see it was a bubble waiting to burst, as discussed on here at the time ad infinitum.

At this stage, they've essentially completed their sportswashing.

Particularly given it's meant to be Premier League only, I'd probably have half a dozen others ahead of him - Howe, Cooper, Di Zerbi etc. But the highest profile league winner is usually the default choice.

I'm not sure exactly when the voting took place, but a problem with these awards is that it doesn't take place at the end of the season. I suspect that if the vote had happened after our CL qualification was affirmed, Eddie would have stood a better chance.

It should go to the manager that has over achieved the most , that’s Eddie this season no doubt about it . Pep hasn’t really over achieved at all, just done what was expected of him really .

Man City weren't even that impressive in the PL overall, by their recent historical standards. Seems like them wanting to recognise 3 titles in a row with this award. It should be an award based on achievements versus how relatively hard the job was, with some additional focus on style and performances. In which case, Howe wins by a landslide. 

41 minutes ago, Si said:

Also people getting indignant at the resources that Pep has and the unfairness of that should remember that in a few seasons.

Personally, I'm not bothered about the expenditure specifically. It's the strong suspicion that the club has gained an advantage by ignoring financial rules that every other club has had to abide by.

51 minutes ago, Interpolic said:

Man City weren't even that impressive in the PL overall, by their recent historical standards. Seems like them wanting to recognise 3 titles in a row with this award. It should be an award based on achievements versus how relatively hard the job was, with some additional focus on style and performances. In which case, Howe wins by a landslide. 

3 titles in a row is pretty impressive though.

15 minutes ago, healthyaddiction said:

I'd definitely have him favourite for the manager of the last 3 seasons award then. 

This is exactly it. "Giggs" has its own meaning on here but really it should mean gatecrashing an award you have no right to be given if applying its normal and intended parameters. Guardiola has done a Giggs - it's not an egregious Giggs, it's a mild Giggs, but it's still a Giggs. Giggs. 

Edited by Interpolic

1 hour ago, Ben said:

Obviously I wanted Howe to win, but saying Pep doesn't deserve it after the season he's had is crackers 

Well he doesn't though. He only won the title because Arsenal bottled it and that's after having added the world's best striker to the team that won the league last year.

11 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

Its not even a great Man City league team either, 89 points isn't great for Pep in the league which shows how good he is. He has won it because everyone expects them to win the treble.

I'm guessing if they'd needed to, and they didn't have two finals upcoming, they'd have beaten Brighton and Brentford with first-choice teams and ended on 94.