Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Too young to know myself but going off what I’m told I’m not sure anyone will ever compare to what Keegan achieved. Nobody will probably ever understand this club and it’s fans like he did but Howe will hopefully go on to succeed in ways that unfortunately Keegan couldn’t. 

33 minutes ago, NE28 said:

Too young to know myself but going off what I’m told I’m not sure anyone will ever compare to what Keegan achieved. Nobody will probably ever understand this club and it’s fans like he did but Howe will hopefully go on to succeed in ways that unfortunately Keegan couldn’t. 

I think that’s it, tbf.  I don’t doubt that Howe is tactically more astute and the ultimate modern manager.  There’s a good chance we end up with a Howe statue outside the ground, assuming he wins some of those shiny pot things.  I love having him at NUFC - he inspires hope via his professionalism and quality. 

But KK was the biggest name in English football - and the one man who absolutely believed in what the club and city could be.  And he made sure that we all believed that too.  It went beyond football - a club, city and region that had suffered what seemed to be terminal decline being inspired by the ultimate motivator.  I’ve written it before on here, but this is the club that Kevin built.  That there isn’t a stand named in his honour is a joke, frankly.  

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I think that’s it, tbf.  I don’t doubt that Howe is tactically more astute and the ultimate modern manager.  There’s a good chance we end up with a Howe statue outside the ground, assuming he wins some of those shiny pot things.  I love having him at NUFC - he inspires hope via his professionalism and quality. 

But KK was the biggest name in English football - and the one man who absolutely believed in what the club and city could be.  And he made sure that we all believed that too.  It went beyond football - a club, city and region that had suffered what seemed to be terminal decline being inspired by the ultimate motivator.  I’ve written it before on here, but this is the club that Kevin built.  That there isn’t a stand named in his honour is a joke, frankly.  

Aye, pointless to compare but without Keegan there is no Howe.

Just now, NE28 said:

Aye, pointless to compare but without Keegan there is no Howe.

There might be no NUFC, tbh.  It’s why those outside the region who sneer at KK or the ‘Messiah’ narrative, the ‘you never won fuck all’ brigade don’t get it.  It wasn’t that we all want to see us lose 4-3 every week.  It was that a figure of national significance - and KK was that - knew what this place was and what it could be.  They think it was just about football and trophies, missing the point entirely.  Hope - in a place devoid of it - is a wonderful thing.  

Even just this summer I was still hearing other clubs fans saying we will need to eventually get a higher profile manager before we can really compete.

Found that infuriating. They really can't see what this genius of a man is putting together.

He's going right to the top.

7 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Even just this summer I was still hearing other clubs fans saying we will need to eventually get a higher profile manager before we can really compete.

Found that infuriating. They really can't see what this genius of a man is putting together.

It’s better if they don’t see it, we are still somewhat going under the radar and I love it.

Don’t think I’ve ever seen a team so well prepared for the first game of a season. Absolutely silly levels of professionalism. 

He never even played that lineup in preseason and he had to go to the US instead of just training quietly in Austria or something, but everyone knew their jobs perfectly and executed it brilliantly. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

3 hours ago, KaKa said:

My favourite post from other clubs' fans (Man Utd)

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/newcastle-united-23-24-season.478578/post-30917878

It's money they shouldn't have... no matter how they've used it.

Love the delusion they're still living under. Eyes wide shut.

Edited by Skeletor

8 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Don’t think I’ve ever seen a team so well prepared for the first game of a season. Absolutely silly levels of professionalism. 

He never even played that lineup in preseason and he had to go to the US instead of just training quietly in Austria or something, but everyone knew their jobs perfectly and executed it brilliantly. 

It was ludicrous how fit we looked in comparison to Villa. We were still running around with the same intensity at 80 minutes as we were in the first minute. Mostly our press understandably faded in games last season but it didn't yesterday at all. 

His fitness levels are why I don't think he'll ever work as well as England manager. There was a lot of people saying he's the perfect candidate last season but I don't think it'll work. 

If he got the group of players together for a week mid season they'll never be up to the fitness levels that he expects. Pre season is so important as he makes us incredibly prepared,something that he wouldn't get at International management. 

39 minutes ago, Skeletor said:

My favourite post from other clubs' fans (Man Utd)

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/newcastle-united-23-24-season.478578/post-30917878

Love the delusion they're still living under. Eyes wide shut.

That is so embarrassing a comment, I don't even know how to respond. Cringeworthy stuff.

Let them continue talking nonsense.

29 minutes ago, Scotty66 said:

His fitness levels are why I don't think he'll ever work as well as England manager. There was a lot of people saying he's the perfect candidate last season but I don't think it'll work. 

If he got the group of players together for a week mid season they'll never be up to the fitness levels that he expects. Pre season is so important as he makes us incredibly prepared,something that he wouldn't get at International management. 

By the same token I'd expect Howe to adjust and figure out a means of playing in a way that doesn't require outrageous fitness for an international cup competition and be great in that, or any role, man is class.

48 minutes ago, RS said:

Waiting after a game to hear a Newcastle managers post match comments feels almost alien, but that’s how engaged I am with his leadership.  

This. We're now back in the realms of rammed, post match, bars being hushed to silence when our manager comes on the TVs for his interview. 

50 minutes ago, GEFAFWISP said:

By the same token I'd expect Howe to adjust and figure out a means of playing in a way that doesn't require outrageous fitness for an international cup competition and be great in that, or any role, man is class.

Yeah it's not like he would be a complete failure and like you say tournament football is more suitable as he also has a lot longer to work with the players. It's just that many pundits don't understand why he makes us so good and why we blow teams away. Tactically he's definitely good enough to manage at that level but I think he's more suited to club football. 

Would be interested to know if he demanded high fitness levels at Bournemouth when they rose through the divisions or if its a fairly recent thing he's added to his management skills. 

Edited by Scotty66

9 hours ago, r0cafella said:

Don’t want to compare him to KK it’s too difficult. 

KK was a good among men for us. 

There's no point comparing them either. Two different eras with different methods, knowledge and technology. KK, SBR, Benitez & Howe will all be remembered as great managers and great people in my book. Roeder and Houghton maybe not so great managers, but great people.