Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Being in all these competitions probably needs more proactive player rotation. Giving a player a game off when they're at 65% capacity, rather than waiting till they're cream crackered at 30%.

Not sure we've done that to it's truest potential, or maybe it just hasn't been possible. 

No slight on Howe. Just trying to make sense of the injury crisis. 

Think we all need to remember this new to Eddie as well, being near the top, challenging in multiple competitions, travelling around Europe. He'll be learning about himself and where he's made mistakes and should have done things a bit differently.

If he's as good as i think and hope he's going to be as a top tier manager, he'll be taking it in and making those adjustments to put things right.

Liverpool with a much stronger team should have lost to Luton last week, no match is a given in this league. These are just small bumps in the road on our journey.

Edited by Bimpy474

16 minutes ago, Weezertron said:

Being in all these competitions probably needs more proactive player rotation. Giving a player a game off when they're at 65% capacity, rather than waiting till they're cream crackered at 30%.

Not sure we've done that to it's truest potential, or maybe it just hasn't been possible. 

No slight on Howe. Just trying to make sense of the injury crisis. 

I think we have tried, for example Wilson and Isak were being used quite well, plus Miggy and Murphy too

The Isak injury really hurt us, as out of the two he's more capable of playing more games in a row but we've then had to play Wilson and to protect him we've been forced to move Gordon in the centre

I would like us to sign a young forward in January that is capable of playing as a striker but also has some versatility too 

Days like today you sit back and say bumps like this happen to great sides. The adversity builds the character and the story. This injury crisis is the flash point; it’s up to our world class manager and his team + the players we have now + the returning ones and the recruitment team to address the glaring needs and changes asap. 

We will get it sorted and the crowd at home needs to be backing these lads to the tilt and the away crowd needs to be fucking bang on from this point on. 

Frustrating to be so uncompetitive in an easier fixture but this is the perfect storm of injuries.

Everyone knows we need more players, and the owners would likely pay for them, but FFP says no.

The net result is Matt Ritchie and kids.

I'm sure I'm just repeating what others have said but this is all as much a learning curve for him as anyone else at the club. He's never had a four-pronged charge at competitions to manage and he's put his faith in core players coping.

Ironically it feels like only a handful of our absentees in this nightmare are due to being overworked. Broken bones, freak mid-game pull ups etc, a gambling suspension can't be mitigated for. The only player rotation (or pack thereof) that I've disagreed with is Burn and Tripps.

Feels the biggest issue is when Tripps is knackered it can ruin us in both directions; he gets caught out in defence and also can't dictate things going forward the way we know he can. We look so much more lost when he's not on his game. I'd guess that's why Eddie is so reluctant to drop him to the bench because it means a considerable change in overall approach but if it leads to burnout like this, which is the lesser of two evils?

54 minutes ago, madras said:

The only worry I have with Eddie is burn out.

I did think this yesterday. For anyone else I'd say at least he can fit in some down time somewhere in the next couple of weeks. But he's got the type of mindset where I could picture him on the job even more to try and find solutions after a result like that. 

He looked down and a bit pensive in his postmatch interviews, he will be pissed off at yesterday's performance and result.

Yesterday's performance was probably the worst ever under howe, but that's football.

Mitigating circumstances in abundance. 

He's 100% the man for the job.

HWTL.

The players just didn't help themselves. I can understand his frustration despite the easy get out of injuries, which he refused to us in his post match which is refreshing amongst the shite u get from Arteta etc. 

But yeah it felt for the first time almost all the players adopted the victim mentality for the first time since all these injuries and just all looked like they were running in treacle. I get that it will be physical exhaustion aswell but I think they all played mentally tired from the start. 

That led to some awful decision making etc. Some of Trippiers passing across the back etc was awful. Longstaff just slow on the ball and just flopping over as he likes to do and never getting the free kick because it's too obvious. Schar was abit like he was in the Bruce years where his head seems to drop and then makes some lazy passes and poor decisions. 

There was just loads of lazy flicks and playing passes into dangerous errors resulting in counter attacks etc. Eddie was right to be annoyed, we made our own lives alot harder for ourselves. 

All that being said it's totally understandable and in some ways surprising it's taken this long for some of the players to hit the wall. Hopefully they can recharge enough to improve the performance Vs Chelsea, adding Bruno and Isak back will help massively ofcourse also. 

Just need to avoid reaching the low point of having Ritchie play ever again ?

In what way could the medical staff and physios have prepared for or foreseen the types of injuries we’ve had? Broken toe, two types of back injuries (not muscular), Botman’s knee, Murphy’s shoulder (the first time) or Wilson’s chronic muscle injuries?

Edit: I guess they could’ve stopped Wilson from playing at all - which would give us the exact same effect as the injuries. 

Edited by clintdempsey