Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

That's 4 losses in a row and 7 loses in the last 8. Any manager is under pressure with a run like that, especially when those results have reflected the performances.

I'm still massively Howe in, but he's under pressure now whether people want to admit that or not.

Saturday is absolutely huge. Lose that and the knives are well and truely out, as Sunderland more or less ending our season will be too much for a lot of people.

1 minute ago, dcmk said:

No one expected a result against Liverpool before the game. Everyone expected a comfortable loss.

But suddenly in the aftermath it's not good enough. Can't make it up.

The performance so bad it's breaking records on xG.

I wonder why people are criticising a team that is the 2nd worst team in the league on away form.

I guess we'll see what kinda owners the Saudis are this summer. Will they back him or will they bin him for a big name manager? You'd like to think they'd stick by him but this is the same people who asked WWE for a dead Ultimate Warrior and Yokozuna to appear at a Saudi PPV.

7 minutes ago, duo said:

People can jog on if you are going to have a go at Eddie - just look at our squad man.  He's been overachieving the past 18 months - we've still a core of players from the Championship.  You can't seriously think we could go toe to toe with Liverpool? 

Whilst I largely agree with what you're saying Lascelles and Ritchie are the only players from the Championship that have regularly appeared for us this season, the latter appearing with fleeting sub appearances.

Sorry to say, and as much as Howe has done a job that went beyond any sort of wild expectations, he’s still making massive mistakes right now which are costing us.

We have no one at LB because in 6 months he hasn’t bothered to ease Hall into the team. So now we have Burn playing against the likes of Salah, and Mbappe, when he struggles with anyone with any sort of pace.

We have Schar going upfront and leaving gaps, which has cost us so many games this season and he obviously hasn’t been told to stop it.

We have Trippier who is fucked, absolutely fucked when we have Livramento who’s performing well in that position who can cover him for a few games.

some of the games have been awful. Look at Luton, and Forest. Simple passing and doing the simple things is enough to beat those teams. We aren’t doing that, no simple passing, nothing, literally passing to opposition players, or running into them instead of making the simple available passes. It’s more than just fatigue, and you can see right from KO if we are going to win the game. It’s not even like we can start slowly and come into games, we start slowly, that’s it.

I’ve always feared that Howe is defensively naïve, and he’s showing that again.

If we are going to write off this January because of the fixtures, then he has to win the derby, has too. Under Ashley it was another game, and so long as we had enough points at the end of the season, the manager could get away with that. I don’t think our owners, or are fans are going to accept it. This season is fast running away from us, and if we lose that as well, it’s a complete and utter waste of a season, and would go nowhere towards building for the future.

3 minutes ago, OpenC said:

Cannot comprehend this How Could We Possibly Compete With Liverpool.  We competed with AC, PSG, Manchester City, Manchester United this season already with some proper second rate players :)

I'm nowhere near giving up on the lad but the overreactions to the mildest of criticism are insane :lol:

Nah, it's the criticism that's insane like. Just choosing to be ignorant of the circumstances AFAIC.

If the statement was 'We competed with AC, PSG, Manchester City, Manchester United this season already with some proper second rate players 2 months ago when we had more players and they weren't blowing out their arse' it would at least be satirical.

I still fully support Eddie Howe.

There are a limited number of mentalists who think he should go. The majority of the critical side still think he's the man to turn it around but are getting worried. I understand that position and respect it.

There are a limited number of that side who also seem to be losing their fucking shit every time they get disagreed with, acting like they're being silenced. You're not being silenced, you've posted an opinion in a public forum, and other members of that forum have told you you're wrong. Argue back, don't start crying about not being allowed to criticise.

2 minutes ago, Andy said:

I think that's partially true, but the away form in particular this season is worthy of criticism, taken in isolation and disregarding what happened last season. We have 5 points away from home, second worst in the league, and one or two games aside, the performances on the road since August have been shocking - that is obviously not good enough and needs solving, but we are just taking the same approach every week.

We may be limited in player choices but we don't have to be backs to the wall for 90 minutes struggling to keep a hold of the ball - that just adds to the fatigue if anything. Anyone who's played football knows how difficult it is chasing the ball constantly. 

I don't think he should be under pressure, but he definitely shouldn't be immune from criticism. 

Not a dig but what can he actually do differently at the minute? We don't seem to be willingly sitting deep, it just seems to be happening naturally with the flow of games. Any tactical approach takes energy, teams press so well now that it's hard to just keep possession.

The earlier away performances were much more controlled than we're seeing now. 

Just now, Stifler said:

Sorry to say, and as much as Howe has done a job that went beyond any sort of wild expectations, he’s still making massive mistakes right now which are costing us.

We have no one at LB because in 6 months he hasn’t bothered to ease Hall into the team. So now we have Burn playing against the likes of Salah, and Mbappe, when he struggles with anyone with any sort of pace.

We have Schar going upfront and leaving gaps, which has cost us so many games this season and he obviously hasn’t been told to stop it.

We have Trippier who is fucked, absolutely fucked when we have Livramento who’s performing well in that position who can cover him for a few games.

some of the games have been awful. Look at Luton, and Forest. Simple passing and doing the simple things is enough to beat those teams. We aren’t doing that, no simple passing, nothing, literally passing to opposition players, or running into them instead of making the simple available passes. It’s more than just fatigue, and you can see right from KO if we are going to win the game. It’s not even like we can start slowly and come into games, we start slowly, that’s it.

I’ve always feared that Howe is defensively naïve, and he’s showing that again.

If we are going to write off this January because of the fixtures, then he has to win the derby, has too. Under Ashley it was another game, and so long as we had enough points at the end of the season, the manager could get away with that. I don’t think our owners, or are fans are going to accept it. This season is fast running away from us, and if we lose that as well, it’s a complete and utter waste of a season, and would go nowhere towards building for the future.

Maybe you could write another letter to Amanda, I assume the restraining order has expired by now?

1 minute ago, Cf said:

Yeah. It's not a difficult calculation. Not sure why it's not done this way. 

I think because most xG is used as the objective function for modelling player performance, with deriving stuff like "on ball value". At a micro level individual chance creation is maybe more important, but there are differing views. 

3 minutes ago, Nine said:

Do you think management are unable to pick up on this themselves? Or do you it’s a matter of having limited personnel to pick from? You can argue we change the formation, but changing formation mid season during a massive injury crisis/bad form could easily leave us far worse off. 

To me - it looks like we are doing the same things game after game with the hope that we do it better in the next game. 

With the cumulative fatigue. I don’t understand why Howe thinks that will happen.  I think he’s hopeful more than expectant of it in recent weeks. 

Eddie has my support and we have injuries and fatique and low on confidence and other issues. But why start Burn against Nottingham, and why start him today again. This “minor” thing is hard to accept. Also, Gordon looks dead, why not give him a game off even if it weakens us? It might help us going forward instead. Instead he will continue to play and be all but dead legged every game. 

8 minutes ago, mofo said:

Tonali

Pope

Murphy

Barnes

Wilson

Willock

Anderson

Trippier

Manquillio

Targett

#remember

There are certainly mitigating circumstances but we have to be able to set up more organised than we did today.

Liverpool didn't have to do anything in order to be clean through on Dubravka 

Edited by Boey_Jarton

4 minutes ago, christ said:

There’s also the fact that putting weight in xG is the preserve of full-on nonces. Don’t forget that.

Shame our opposition tonight didn't have the same perspective, and then maybe their team would be less good.

6 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Honestly, anyone making any fresh conclusions after that game is a fucking idiot, quite frankly.

We've learnt absolutely nothing. We're utterly knackered, we have nothing on the bench, we have next to no confidence and we were ill-equipped to deal with an absolutely deadly and extremely motivated team who always beat us and never lose at Anfield.

We should have conceded more on the balance of play but I don't even think we were that bad. If Jota doesn't go down it's not beyond the realms of possibility that their nerves kick in and we take it to the wire. 

It's like folks are desperate to hate again.

"We weren't that bad" [emoji38][emoji38]

We were absolutely fucking atrocious for the entire 90.

Just now, Wallsendmag said:

Saturday is absolutely huge. Lose that and the knives are well and truely out, as Sunderland more or less ending our season will be too much for a lot of people.

I think he’s in real trouble if we fuck Saturday up. I want to give him the season to see how it plays out but if we’re all of a sudden looking at 1 win in 11 by Luton and out of the cup to the mackems then patience will be running thin amongst a lot of the fan base.

13 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

The main issue he has is that he massively overachieved last season. Genuinely think that’s where the reactions and pressure is coming from. Ridiculous really.

Not really.

I expected a drop off, we got fucked with the Champions League draw, and if we got any of the other groups any other 4th seed got, then we would have qualified. That’s without mentioning the PSG penalty.

I expect and can handle a drop off in position, I can’t accept the manner of losses we have had in recent games, and I can’t accept not doing the basics and players out of form being played when there is options for them.

Just now, Jagten said:

Shame our opposition tonight didn't have the same perspective, and then maybe their team would be less good.

I’d not like to see their hard drives.

3 minutes ago, LiquidAK said:

Maybe you could write another letter to Amanda, I assume the restraining order has expired by now?

Maybe you could actually create a constructive post?

For me it's how easy teams are walking through us and also when we have the ball there's no structure and awful decision making. We can't seem to retain it, movement is mostly shit, over hit or underhit balls. We look frightened to have a go at teams now