Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

10 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

We knew that going into this season. We attempted to replace 1 of these players this season in the summer transfer window. That looked like a massive risk going into this season and so it has turned out a mistake.

I totally agree. I know there's a lot of love for Burn at the club and among the fanbase but i've never been convinced. I guess Almiron earned himself another shot after last season but it was a huge gamble. One purple patch in what, 3 years? 

2 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

I totally agree. I know there's a lot of love for Burn at the club and among the fanbase but i've never been convinced. I guess Almiron earned himself another shot after last season but it was a huge gamble. One purple patch in what, 3 years? 

Try 5 full seasons (4 end to end plus two half seasons). 

9 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Brighton have players who are much better with the ball technically. That's years and years of committing to that approach. De Zerbi would have nightmares with our players.

De Zerbi is still a bit of a question mark for me. He inherited a team that was already performing really well. 

This season they have one more point than us. 

Howe inherited a Steve Bruce side that were nailed on for relegation.

Anyone think Howes post match press conference saw him act bit differently to normal? Up to this point he's refrained from using the tired players/injury excuse but he was pretty open and honest about it last night. Maybe he's just naturally being defensive, given all the chat about him. 

I actually appreciated his honesty. 

I can genuinely say right now there is no manager better than Howe for us. I can also ensure you if we continue to let him manage the team, then no matter what, next season we would likely have a top 6 finish again.

The big IF is I ain’t sure he could survive this season. Both Howe and the team looks completely broken to be honest. He might as well take the decision himself

16 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

It’s that he can’t play at full intensity for 70 minutes. Let alone 90. 

I love him. But if he improved his stamina he would be close to world class. 

You say that, but Wilson plays with even less intensity after an hour’s football and he gets immunity.

16 hours ago, Dokko said:

Yes, I'm glad he's still here but he is the reason we are where we are, both now and last season. He ran a small team of overachieving players into the ground and it worked as we were lucky with injuries.

This season we've had more games, but only 6. It hasn't merited the talk of not being able to train for 4 months. Do other CL teams not train anymore? You could argue villas schedule is worse playing on a Thursday night, but their manager has European experience and knows the need to rotate. We've been very unlucky this season with injuries, but his demands of players, lack of rotation and late subs cannot work with added games and injuries, but he's decided to not change a thing. Just keep going in hope he gets a break. You can't plan for injuries, but when they happen you need to rotate your way out of it. This is when new or young players are thrown into the deep end and it's sink or swim. Hall should have had 5 or 10 starts now and he on his was to being a squad player. He costs us points by playing? Well what are we protecting with all these losses?

It's not good enough at this level and I expected more from him and sad to see it come to this. I had no doubt he'd adapt to all that was this season, but it's continue on and compound the issues to a point were now saying it'll get worse before it gets better shite and that a loss to the mackems should just be accepted. What the actual fuck? 

I saw all this defend the manager at all costs under pardew, as he landed 5th and had credit in the bank, I didn't buy it then and don't now. 

I'm begging you to stop this line of argument [emoji38]

36 minutes ago, Orphanage said:

Hes just another Mackem gink 

Nope, been a member on here since 2008. Had to delete my old one about 3 months ago due to the new FIFA regs! Sifu will confirm ive been saying this since summer

43 minutes ago, Tonalis Bookie said:

Said start of the season Jose would be in for first game next season and still believe it. On a personal note also, id like it. Come and finish your mentors work, sir.

Fuck me I've just spewed up

44 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

De Zerbi could be a good shout. Tactically astute and his team are extremely comfortable on the ball. He’ll end up at one of the bigger clubs soon am guessing.

I agree with others that Mourinho may not be a good fit compared to how we play currently.. although I still think he’s a top manager. He just suits some clubs more than others. He could well be very good here if it all clicked.. but a gamble. He’s the one attainable manager who I think has the confidence and qualities to get a club like ours to the next level.

Conte would fit the same mold but I think Mourinho is a better manager.

Anyone else who’s highly rated have seemed to have found new jobs recently so it’s not a massive pool of candidates out there.

Mourinho did a pretty bad job at Man U and Spurs, he was given more than enough rope as well. Conte is a great manager until he gets in a huff, which happens quite often tbh. Careful what you wish for.

5 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

You say that, but Wilson plays with even less intensity after an hour’s football and he gets immunity.

I think Wilson throws his weight around a lot more and scraps with defenders. He battles them. He has more of "that dog in him". He also seems to gas after about 70 minutes but he's also a more limited footballer, 30+, suffered 2 ACLs, a dozen hamstring injuries and a few calf injuries. So expectations are down overall.

35 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Yep. Almiron earned himself an important role in the squad but not our first-choice RW ahead of Murphy. We needed more in that position.

10 minutes ago, TRon said:

Mourinho did a pretty bad job at Man U and Spurs, he was given more than enough rope as well. Conte is a great manager until he gets in a huff, which happens quite often tbh. Careful what you wish for.

Both are unable to manage the modern day game without falling out with players and media.

Mourinho even managed to get sued by a physio at Chelsea. He's a walking car crash.

Edited by dcmk

7 minutes ago, TRon said:

I think if he did here what he did there we would be delighted. A poor squad finished second and won a European trophy.

We need to elevate ourselves and we can't just simply buy our way there. He gets trophies and we are starved of one. Quite often one opens the floodgates and hes a name who will attract players. He wouldn't be blocking certain elements in the club nor flying teams out late for European games due to his own arrogance

Edited by Tonalis Bookie
typos

33 minutes ago, Alberto2005 said:

That Longstaff one was never a penalty, I was surprised he thought he was.

I don't think it was a pen but thought it was more of a pen than Jota's. 

3 minutes ago, TRon said:

Man Utd was and still is a poisonous environment yet he still won trophies and had them finishing top 4.

Spurs weren’t ambitious enough for either Mourinho or Conte.. Levy has a touch of the Mike Ashleys about him in respect to not living up to promises. You can tell those managers had buyers remorse almost immediately after arriving.

NUFC is the total opposite of what they are all about.. he’d have a fan base behind him, holistic owners with unlimited resources.. they will back a manager to the maximum that FFP allows.

Having someone like Jose in charge also raises the clubs profile, making investment into the club an easier sell.

I’m not gung ho for him but I do think he’s an upgrade on EH, reluctantly I might add.. I like Eddie Howe a lot and I wish he’d sort the current situation out, I just can’t see it over the longer term this season.

It was never going to be plane sailing - from the takeover to being part of the elite, this season is going to be a tough one. Did people honestly think it would just be season after season of higher league places?

I don’t blame Howe at all, I’d probably apportion more blame for this season on whoever was supposed to do the background checks on Tonali. 

José is a busted flush and replacing Howe with him is a terrible take. Mourinhos time at the top of the game has long gone. Howe is a far better coach and man manager. 

8 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Man Utd was and still is a poisonous environment yet he still won trophies and had them finishing top 4.

Spurs weren’t ambitious enough for either Mourinho or Conte.. Levy has a touch of the Mike Ashleys about him in respect to not living up to promises. You can tell those managers had buyers remorse almost immediately after arriving.

NUFC is the total opposite of what they are all about.. he’d have a fan base behind him, holistic owners with unlimited resources.. they will back a manager to the maximum that FFP allows.

Having someone like Jose in charge also raises the clubs profile, making investment into the club an easier sell.

I’m not gung ho for him but I do think he’s an upgrade on EH, reluctantly I might add.. I like Eddie Howe a lot and I wish he’d sort the current situation out, I just can’t see it over the longer term this season.

How did Jose attempt to address the toxic environment?  He didn't.  In fact he manifested it to the point that Man Utd fans thought he was deliberately attempting to get fired, alienated the very best players he had at his disposable.

He didn't even buy a house in Manchester to settle there, just lived out of a hotel such was his arrogance, and top 4 is the very least a team with the budget and squad at the time should have been capable of.

How on earth is any of that an attractive proposition? He's way past his sell by date.