Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Think a first team left back and a first team right winger could have been prioritised ahead of Tonali and Barnes. Bit confusing looking back at it.

at some point you could easily switch to a double pivot (if Howe was ready to do it...) with Bruno and Tonali paired together and Joe Willock as a 10. Out of possession Willock drops in. 

Reality is - we need a LB, DM, Attacking Mid, RW and CF. And a few guys need to be moved on....

Edited by Kanji

27 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Think a first team left back and a first team right winger could have been prioritised ahead of Tonali and Barnes. Bit confusing looking back at it.

It was the profiles that were disappointing, more so than the positions. Whilst neither have really played (and what I say might turn out to be incorrect), Tonali and Barnes reflected a concentration of our position in our existing tactical framework, failing to consider that aspects of it might be unsustainable, especially under fatigue (some of which was very unlucky). 

Edited by Jagten

21 hours ago, Newcastle Fan said:

I've mentioned this before but Dan Ashworth takes more blame than Eddie; Eddie had a team made mostly out of Steve Bruce's players beat psg 4-1 in the champions league; our recuritment and prepration for this  season have been terrible and the DOF takes the blame for that.

I couldn't agree more also if he wants out let him leave.

7 minutes ago, Jagten said:

It was the profiles that were disappointing, more so than the positions. Whilst neither have really played (and what I say might turn out to be incorrect), Tonali and Barnes reflected a concentration of our position in our existing tactical framework, failing to consider that aspects of it might be unsustainable, especially under fatigue (some of which was very unlucky). 

Was it not unsustainable under fatigue due to those two players and others being out for months at a time ?

There was a point last season or I  the close season when Eddie said we'd have to become a more possession based team, Tonali was integral to that.

Get beat on Saturday and he's then under massive pressure like it or not. Get beat the two games after and we are struggling to qualify for any European football next year, which will impact on FFP and values of incoming sponsorship. I'm far from convinced that the PIF side of the owners will accept that. I think we will win Saturday (ok certainly should anyway).

Edited by et tu brute

7 minutes ago, madras said:

Was it not unsustainable under fatigue due to those two players and others being out for months at a time ?

There was a point last season or I  the close season when Eddie said we'd have to become a more possession based team, Tonali was integral to that.

For sure, but the extent to which we can attribute other injuries to the physical demands of our style is probably non-zero

I think Tonali’s greatest asset is out of possession, and I don’t think he’s quite the technician many might hope. What’s odd is that Barella definitely was that person, and I’m not sure Tonali was the next logical step

2 minutes ago, Jagten said:

For sure, but the extent to which we can attribute other injuries to the physical demands of our style is probably non-zero

I think Tonali’s greatest asset is out of possession, and I don’t think he’s quite the technician many might hope. What’s odd is that Barella definitely was that person, and I’m not sure Tonali was the next logical step

Yeah, that was what I saw from Tonali - admittedly via a handful of European games last season; I haven’t watched Serie A for a long time.  He has never looked like a great technical footballer. 

Just rewatch the Tonali debut, he was comfortably the best player on the park that day in a role where he dominated from a right sided 8 role but was all action, defending and keeping the game ticking over. He looked sensational. 

6 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Just rewatch the Tonali debut, he was comfortably the best player on the park that day in a role where he dominated from a right sided 8 role but was all action, defending and keeping the game ticking over. He looked sensational. 

Feels like this is only available in black and white. 

13 minutes ago, Kanji said:

I don’t think that contradicts what Jagten or I said tbf

14 minutes ago, Kanji said:

I have been watching compilations of him last few weeks as well. I honestly can't wait till he's back. He will be an incredible signing in the long run.

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Casey is a complete nutter, but the  parallels are there.

Interesting, just skimmed it but this bit :lol: I'm convinced none of the other top sides could have done much better with so few fit players.

Dortmund were not only suffering from injuries to several key players - Klopp called it "the worst injury crisis in the history of football" - which meant they were unable to rotate as often as the manager wanted, but the packed schedule also led to less time on the training pitch in which to iron out their mounting problems in what became a vicious cycle.

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

Casey is a complete nutter, but the  parallels are there.

In what way was our injuries caused by our playstyle? Willock (not even from this season), Isak and Wilson possibly.. But the rest of the long term ones wasn't. I've said this before. Botman, Barnes, Manquillo and Targett didn't get injured due to fatigue. They had not played that much yet this season when they got injured. Murphy, Pope, Burn and Anderson (?) injured themselves when falling. Tonali didn't get suspended because of our intense playstyle. Added games does increase the chance of freak injuries aswell, but very few of our long term injuries are down to intense playstyle or fatigue from the amount of games they've played.

The injuries and suspension were just bad luck mostly. The fatigue issue we have now could've probably been handeled in a different way though, even with the injuries that we had.

Edited by Erikse

I think attributing Wilson’s injuries to our style of play is too much mind. We give him 3 days off after playing and he’s still getting crocked and generally looking not fully fit. Even under Bruce’s ‘put your feet up, lads’ regime he missed a lot of football. It’s just him, he’s made of glass.

19 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

I think attributing Wilson’s injuries to our style of play is too much mind. We give him 3 days off after playing and he’s still getting crocked and generally looking not fully fit. Even under Bruce’s ‘put your feet up, lads’ regime he missed a lot of football. It’s just him, he’s made of glass.

Yeah exactly. Probably can't blame Longstaffs ankle issue on the playstyle either. So we're pretty much left with just Willock from last season and Isak from this season who may have suffered injuries from playing too many games or due to the intense playstyle. Plus some minor absences like for example with big Joe.

Edited by Erikse

16 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

I love Callum but we missed the opportunity to let him go and book some FFP gains last summer. 

Hindsight is 20/20 and all, but players with extensive injury histories are a big drag on performance. 

52 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

I love Callum but we missed the opportunity to let him go and book some FFP gains last summer. 

Hindsight is 20/20 and all, but players with extensive injury histories are a big drag on performance. 

Wouldn't have got much for him, that's why he ended up here to start with but I was saying on here in the Summer we needed another forward.

19 minutes ago, madras said:

Wouldn't have got much for him, that's why he ended up here to start with but I was saying on here in the Summer we needed another forward.

I think we get 20m for him last summer, he scored a lot of goals last season.