Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

33 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

We're 7th :lol:

Last season people were stating a top 7 finish would be a dream. Maybe we're being a bit melodramatic here?

He thinks that it’s feasible to convince 2 elite managers to switch every year. Melodrama would be a welcome de-escalation. 

7 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

He thinks that it’s feasible to convince 2 elite managers to switch every year. Melodrama would be a welcome de-escalation. 

Took me a good 15 minutes after reading your post on the previous page to think who had I seen with that batshit idea before realising I'd read it on here ages ago :laugh:

6 minutes ago, Kilcline said:

Took me a good 15 minutes after reading your post on the previous page to think who had I seen with that batshit idea before realising I'd read it on here ages ago :laugh:

I’m being a bit cruel, mind you. But it was so bonkers that I can’t help myself.

Just now, Superior Acuña said:

I think there's very little chance of him being replaced by/at the end of this season. He will be in danger if the season ends on a disappointing note and then we have a bad start next season.

He’ll get next season definitely and rightly so really. However my only concern with Howe is what he’s able to do when injuries pile up or he needs a plan B when things aren’t working where the question marks lies for me. I hope he continues to grow in the job and is here for a long time but I have an underlying feeling that for us to go to the next level we might need someone else. The injuries this season have been absolutely ridiculous though and I’m keen to see what he does next season after the transfer window. 

7 minutes ago, Superior Acuña said:

Different managers in alternate halves. It'll freak the opposition out - "What the fuck's Roy Evans doing in the dug out. Jesus, I need a drink."

*Points to Matt Ritchie 

“Right. Give us a hand moving this (to a new club).” 

Howe “MATT STAYS.” 

1 hour ago, Hanshithispantz said:

We're 7th :lol:

Last season people were stating a top 7 finish would be a dream. Maybe we're being a bit melodramatic here?

Bro seriously we won’t be getting top7 finish this season if we continue like this. Look at the schedule - I genuinely expect us to finish around 9-10. 

Some would accept a top 10 finish, some would not. And, as some has suggested, PIF might regard this as a failure and decide to sack Howe. It’s really not that remote.

No matter what, Howe need to sort the defence out asap. 

We don't have a fit striker, there's no cover in midfield and we're having to field a raw 17 year old. The back four has always been slow and now they're inevitably not getting the same protection as before. Simple as. With the resources available, Eddie is still doing a great job.

The underlying idea seems to be that the likes of Bournemouth are poor sides who we should be beating comfortably even with half the first team out. That's nonsense. The margins between victory and defeat at this level can be very fine. 

10 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

'Look at the schedule'

We're the team with the most favourable run-in in the league

To be fair, based on our performances since November against teams we're expected to beat, that might be his point :lol:

I think having a plan B means having different ways to play in different scenarios and opponents etc. I don’t think it means having much of a plan of what to do if your whole team is out injured. 

I don’t think any manager spends much time on that incredibly unlikely scenario. He can’t change the philosophy he is trying to implement because of something that’s temporary. 

We could play more compact, sit deep and just park everyone to try and grind out results, but I can’t imagine we would be on any more points than we have now. 

This season is a freak, we just need to enjoy the rest of the games and start fresh next time. 

32 minutes ago, Cronky said:

We don't have a fit striker, there's no cover in midfield and we're having to field a raw 17 year old. The back four has always been slow and now they're inevitably not getting the same protection as before. Simple as. With the resources available, Eddie is still doing a great job.

The underlying idea seems to be that the likes of Bournemouth are poor sides who we should be beating comfortably even with half the first team out. That's nonsense. The margins between victory and defeat at this level can be very fine. 

Yep. Look at the players we are missing, they are all really influential when it comes to the difference between winning and losing games. Both strikers, Pope and not least, Joelinton. Willock might be back soon, he might stay fit once he is, who knows. I haven't even included Tonali in all of this. Statements like "we are 7th" don't really mean much in that context, it's quite clear at the moment, our current fit first 11 can't be guaranteed to win any games.

46 minutes ago, Zero said:

Bro seriously we won’t be getting top7 finish this season if we continue like this. Look at the schedule - I genuinely expect us to finish around 9-10. 

Some would accept a top 10 finish, some would not. And, as some has suggested, PIF might regard this as a failure and decide to sack Howe. It’s really not that remote.

No matter what, Howe need to sort the defence out asap. 

We're still unbeaten in 5 games though, and the only points we've dropped are in games we've started without a striker. We were good against Man City and excellent against Villa.

Energetic and well coached 'shite' teams coming to SJP and not fearing us has shocked people a bit, but again, they know Isak and Wilson are out/unfit, we have a 17 year old (and the easily pressed Longstaff) in the middle, and a keeper rooted to his line.

The results arent that bad, its the performances. A win away against Fulham and Forest are great on paper, but we didnt look good at all. And with the exception of Villa (and Sunderland i guess) its been going on for 3 months now.

Howe is making all kind of weird decisions like letting people who simply cant run anymore after 70 minutes play the full 90 minutes week in week out, refusing to replace Burn with Tino and whatever is going on with Hall. 

Im afraid its not only the players this seasons intensity have gotten to.

Again, i dont want him gone at all. But he really needs to learn from his mistakes this season.

1 hour ago, Cronky said:

Football fans for the most part are so chaotic nowadays. No idea of how to realistically evaluate a manager's performance.

If there's anything they personally don't agree with or like, they start riling themselves up and talking about the manager being under pressure and getting sacked, because that's what they want to see happen.

With the assumption that the next man in will be the perfect man that does everything they deem to be right.

1 hour ago, ExiledGeordie said:

He’ll get next season definitely and rightly so really. However my only concern with Howe is what he’s able to do when injuries pile up or he needs a plan B when things aren’t working where the question marks lies for me. I hope he continues to grow in the job and is here for a long time but I have an underlying feeling that for us to go to the next level we might need someone else. The injuries this season have been absolutely ridiculous though and I’m keen to see what he does next season after the transfer window. 

I don’t necessarily think he’ll get the whole of next season if it goes like this one - and I don’t know if he should get it, either.  It would be crazy to sack him this season, though.  I know we don’t necessarily know the target for the season, but when the owners took over there was talk of five-year and ten-year plans.

9 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Football fans for the most part are so chaotic nowadays. No idea of how to realistically evaluate a manager's performance.

If there's anything they personally don't agree with or like, they start riling themselves up and talking about the manager being under pressure and getting sacked, because that's what they want to see happen.

With the assumption that the next man in will be the perfect man that does everything they deem to be right.

I don’t remember it being any different at any time of my watching football tbh.  One of my earliest memories at SJP was a bloke next to me and my dad calling for Willie McFaul’s head during a match.  You can’t sack the players, and you can’t choose the board - the manager is the sponge for venting those frustrations. 

The owners, rightfully, aren't kneejerk and are long-term thinkers. They've never shown any signs of veering from their plan when they've had chances, and they allowed the documentary footage to go out about teams suffering in Europe to reduce expectations for a reason.

There's still tonnes to play for this year but it feels to me like there's not much pressure on it either way. Just an acceptance that we're in a transition for now and we'll properly regroup in the summer.

14 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I don’t remember it being any different at any time of my watching football tbh.  One of my earliest memories at SJP was a bloke next to me and my dad calling for Willie McFaul’s head during a match.  You can’t sack the players, and you can’t choose the board - the manager is the sponge for venting those frustrations. 

I think it's a lot worse with social media now, and also after the Roman era at Chelsea as that was his thing, which is going to be a lot harder to get away with now as you can't just continuously throw a bunch of money at the situation at the same time with FFP.

Been watching Chelsea fans screaming about sacking Pochettino the last few weeks, having already sacked both Tuchel and Potter this season, both of whom they are still paying off, and so you know, just add Pochettino to the list.

Meanwhile they have remained largely in the same position, despite spending a billion in a year. Complete and utter chaos.

As much fun as people make of Todd Boehly, a lot of fans would run their clubs in the exact same manner. Dumb spending and rash decision making.

Edited by KaKa

For me, he’s earned a bit of leeway this year. Last year was immense but this year there’s definitely some legitimate questions about his selection policy and in game management. We don’t see the inner goings on on the training pitch but we do see what happens on a Saturday - and it’s happening time and time and time again. I love Eddie but I can’t shake the feeling that there’s something of “Southgate” about him where he picks his mates and is far too slow or afraid to change things when it’s clearly not working.

Summer will be interesting, we obviously need a striker, a proper left back and a backup center half. If he gets them then there’s zero excuses to persevere with the same mediocre players - Burn and Almiron being chief suspects. I hope it clicks for him and he proves mine and others doubts to be false but I’m slightly worried, not gunna lie.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

I think it's a lot worse with social media now, and also after the Roman era at Chelsea as that was his thing, which is going to be a lot harder to get away with now as you can't just continuously throw a bunch of money at the situation at the same time with FFP.

Been watching Chelsea fans screaming about sacking Pochettino the last few weeks, having already sacked both Tuchel and Potter this season, both of whom they are still paying off, and so you know, just add Pochettino to the list.

Meanwhile they have remained largely in the same position, despite spending a billion in a year. Complete and utter chaos.

As much fun as people make of Todd Boehly. A lot of fans would run their clubs in the exact same manner. Dumb spending and rash decision making.

Yeah, I take your point - though I do think social media is more ‘white noise’ than the stadium.  When the crowd turns it’s hard to win them back - it’s much harder for the clubs to resist than a bunch of wallies on Twitter 

7 minutes ago, BennyBlanco said:

For me, he’s earned a bit of leeway this year. Last year was immense but this year there’s definitely some legitimate questions about his selection policy and in game management. We don’t see the inner goings on on the training pitch but we do see what happens on a Saturday - and it’s happening time and time and time again. I love Eddie but I can’t shake the feeling that there’s something of “Southgate” about him where he picks his mates and is far too slow or afraid to change things when it’s clearly not working.

Summer will be interesting, we obviously need a striker, a proper left back and a backup center half. If he gets them then there’s zero excuses to persevere with the same mediocre players - Burn and Almiron being chief suspects. I hope it clicks for him and he proves mine and others doubts to be false but I’m slightly worried, not gunna lie.

This is the key bit for me, and pretty much where I am at. If the recruitment doesn't prioritise these areas this summer, and we still continue to see Almiron and Burn as key first team players next season, then he is absolutely on the clock, as far as being under serious scrutiny.

For now though, not starting Almiron as much can't really be avoided, and we don't really have a natural left back alternative to Burn available, and for whatever reason he is not as keen on Tino featuring as a left back from the outset. 

Recruitment has to be spot on regarding the areas we target this summer, as the areas that need improving on are clear as day now.