Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

"And it is difficult to escape the feeling that the club misstepped by having one eye on the future when the present needed to be addressed last year."

^Re Ashworth and Howe's hope to have more influence long term. 

It's like Howe not being absolutely perfect is some sort of "gotcha". Yeah, good luck finding perfect.

We've got an amazing manager, who only wants to be better at everything he does. Even if I'm frustrated with current form, in general, I'm in dreamland.

It's funny to me that there is so much fume at the moment, when in my living memory 15/20 years or so, this is probably the 2nd best year supporting the club :lol:

Just now, 54 said:

It's funny to me that there is so much fume at the moment, when in my living memory 15/20 years or so, this is probably the 2nd best year supporting the club :lol:

Got to get that anger out there somehow 

Net spend is a bollocks stat without context. Bournemouth got into the PL with a bunch of players that were with them from division 2. They're not going to be able to sell them to reduce their net spend. The players they spend money on would take time before being sold for profit. For example, sell Solanke now and it would balance out a lot of what they spent.

It's like us now. We can't balance our expenditure by selling players because most our players are Ashley era players and aren't worth anything. The only ones worth anything we can't afford to sell.

Edited by healthyaddiction

3 minutes ago, TRC said:

For me I think the field is so good now he's middle of the pack.

Disagree entirely. Klopp and Guardiola are better.

There's zero evidence that Arteta, De Zerbi, Emery or anyone else would have been capable of what Howe has done here and there's plenty of reasons why someone like Arteta is doing so well... when you can cherry pick the likes of Declan Rice.

People wax lyrical about Emery (rightly so) but he ain't finishing 4th this year IMO.

Howe certainly isn't middle of the pack.

Just now, 54 said:

I was guttedly texting non-NUFC mates about the Arsenal match on Monday and after the last message I could be arsed responding to just thought to myself "never before have I felt gutted at the prospect of 'just' a top ten finish". :lol: Really does put it in to perspective sometimes.

My sole issue with more Howe power regarding transfer is that he seems to value PL experience highly. Nothing wrong with that, but we have to be better than anyone else to grow faster than the rest. We need to beat the market so to speak. To me as an armchair expert, it tells me that we need to look abroad to buy players, not to save money but to get more for the money.

Bruno cost like 40, you get Billing or McTom for that in the PL. Lower potential and lower potential resell value.

We need to be smart and take a bit more risk imo.

21 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

As often seems to be the case with Howe, he sets a rod for his own back and is a victim of his own success. Bournemouth being 8th on that list should be a joke that you'd only see on some mad 10 season FM save.

The skill required to do what he did with Bournemouth is immense, but it doesn't always scale to buying elite talent. His trading book-value PnL at Bournemouth in the Premier League was maybe zero, all said, which is reasonably hard to achieve, but not enough to close the gap on e.g. an increasingly competent talent ID at Spurs who have 2x our budget. 

Edited by Jagten

18 minutes ago, STM said:

Disagree entirely. Klopp and Guardiola are better.

There's zero evidence that Arteta, De Zerbi, Emery or anyone else would have been capable of what Howe has done here and there's plenty of reasons why someone like Arteta is doing so well... when you can cherry pick the likes of Declan Rice.

People wax lyrical about Emery (rightly so) but he ain't finishing 4th this year IMO.

Howe certainly isn't middle of the pack.

Agree about Klopp and Pep, but I also think they would have struggled to achieve what Howe has up to this season. That’s how remarkable it has been under Howe and why he has to at least be given next season.

18 minutes ago, wormy said:

I was guttedly texting non-NUFC mates about the Arsenal match on Monday and after the last message I could be arsed responding to just thought to myself "never before have I felt gutted at the prospect of 'just' a top ten finish". :lol: Really does put it in to perspective sometimes.

I dont think anyone should feel ungrateful, but a 9th spot finish is quite poor considering Man United are in ruins, Spurs sold their best player and didnt replace him. Chelsea also in ruins. Wolves are ahead of us and their manager quit the day before the season and many had them tipped to drop.

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Agree about Klopp and Pep, but I also think they would have struggled to achieve what Howe has up to this season. That’s how remarkable it has been under Howe and why he has to at least be given next season.

Depends on your critieria I guess, in terms of tactics in both set up and how he adapts I think Howe has been done a few times by managers many consider worse than him.

Just now, TRC said:

Depends on your critieria I guess, in terms of tactics in both set up and how he adapts I think Howe has been done a few times by managers many consider worse than him.

Both Pep and Klopp have also been done numerous times by managers worse than them as well though.

12 minutes ago, High Five o said:

My sole issue with more Howe power regarding transfer is that he seems to value PL experience highly. Nothing wrong with that, but we have to be better than anyone else to grow faster than the rest. We need to beat the market so to speak. To me as an armchair expert, it tells me that we need to look abroad to buy players, not to save money but to get more for the money.

Bruno cost like 40, you get Billing or McTom for that in the PL. Lower potential and lower potential resell value.

We need to be smart and take a bit more risk imo.

We've signed Bruno, Botman, Isak and Tonali for a lot of money. I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that Howe just wants to sign a load of PL cloggers is coming from. 

Players like Gordon, Tino, Barnes, Pope and Trippier we've got for really good fees too. Don't think we'd have got better value shopping around abroad instead here. 

Overall are transfer business has been excellent since he came in and it's a good blend of foreign and players with PL experience. 

4 minutes ago, Jaqen said:

We've signed Bruno, Botman, Isak and Tonali for a lot of money. I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that Howe just wants to sign a load of PL cloggers is coming from. 

Players like Gordon, Tino, Barnes, Pope and Trippier we've got for really good fees too. Don't think we'd have got better value shopping around abroad instead here. 

Overall are transfer business has been excellent since he came in and it's a good blend of foreign and players with PL experience. 

4 foreign signings vs. 10 domestic ones. Too early to say if Tino is a snip but agree with the others.

Not quite the same value in the ones you omitted though.

Howe clearly has a preference for PL/British experience, it’s oblivious to refuse to accept it. 

Thank fuck someone put their foot down on Kalvin Phillips though.

Imagine a club without regular managerial upheaval?  “Not for me (marra), I want it all, now”.
Fuck me, someone even mentioned Mourinho as a replacement because he would attract massive players, completely ignoring ffp restrictions!
Mackemesque thinking by some on here.

fuck me we have too many fucking deluded cunts here who want success quick fuck off and support someone else. Last season I'd of ripped my bollock off for a top 10 spot yet we got top 4 without any major injuries,This season has been a disaster for them and we are still top 10 no other top manager could deal with that

Edit: just realised I put this in the wrong thread. What a muppet.

Perhaps more applicable to social media, but it's nonsense like this and the Lewis Hall stuff that has folk rolling their eyes.

It's been a long, challenging season and Howe has not been perfect. There's legitimate concerns with areas of our tactical approach, for example, the preference of Burn over Tino, the gap between midfield and defence or more generally our away form. Of course there are large mitigating factors, but they're points worthy of discussion (even if they're laboured at times).

As well as that though, you get stuff like "Brexit Eddie" or "Bournemouth United" or other completely unsubstantiated nonsense along similar lines. That or "I love Howe and want it to work, but (insert criticism). Surely the Saudis will make that big, throbbing, power play that I'm definetly not gagging for".

If you want Howe binned, at least have the conviction to voice it explicitly. You'll probably end up with a fair amount of pushback, but you won't be the only one and it's healthier than making sly, unfounded digs or resorting to "you can't say anything negative around here without the happy clappers cancelling you".

On 25/02/2024 at 00:02, joeyt said:

Everyone in the country knows what arsenal do with corners, and we've just given them 2 goals from them. 

There must have been something we could have done to stop them getting two free headers from corners

If everyone in the country knows what they do with their corners and they still do it, it's either still hard to defend against or Arsenal's coaches are fucking thick.

4 minutes ago, Pata said:

If everyone in the country knows what they do with their corners and they still do it, it's either still hard to defend against or Arsenal's coaches are fucking thick.

Eddie even said in his press conference how annoyed he was that we conceded from two corners because we knew exactly what they'd do

13 minutes ago, astraguy said:

fuck me we have too many fucking deluded cunts here who want success quick fuck off and support someone else.

Can we stop this please. Just because you dont share their view, no reason to call anyone here deluded cunts and fuck off supporting someone else.

51 minutes ago, TRC said:

I dont think anyone should feel ungrateful, but a 9th spot finish is quite poor considering Man United are in ruins, Spurs sold their best player and didnt replace him. Chelsea also in ruins. Wolves are ahead of us and their manager quit the day before the season and many had them tipped to drop.

And we've had the worst set of long term absentees I can remember in my 50yrs following this club.

3 minutes ago, madras said:

And we've had the worst set of long term absentees I can remember in my 50yrs following this club.

Yeah 100% but we arent the only ones. Man U, Spurs, Brentford have been decimated, Liverpool are decimated now. Villa too.