Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

I do hope we really attack the summer window and try and get some early positive business done. Will help build momentum leading into the new season.

It will be a slow window, the Euro’s are on, that always delays things.

Also it is rare for clubs to actually do things early.

If any of our targets are in the Euro’s, then not only do we have to wait for them coming back, but the selling clubs will be waiting to see if they have a good campaign to ramp up the price.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

I do hope we really attack the summer window and try and get some early positive business done. Will help build momentum leading into the new season.

I worry we haven't the budget as we've been busy extending players contracts

18 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I honestly believe that if our current placing was the result of consistent performances throughout the season, there would be fewer grumbles.  The problem is that we’ve been in relegation form for the last third of the season - and the green shoots of recovery weren’t there today.  

We have lost 4 games this calendar year.

Liverpool.

Man City

Arsenal

And today away to Chelsea.

It's hardly relegation form, man.

Ok so here’s the question:

Summer coming up with relaxed spending rules.. this will likely be a one or possibly two window thing before tighter controls kick in.

Do you trust this man to spend that?

He seems to have consolidated a lot of power with others not here now so it’s very likely he’ll get to bring in his pals if that’s what he wants to do.

1 minute ago, dcmk said:

Liverpool.

Man City

Arsenal

We have only won one of our last 5 home games, which includes games against clubs currently in 13th, 17th and 18th. 

2 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

He'll be here next season, but anything other than a blitzkrieg of a start and he'll be in big trouble. 

For the first time I'm having doubts about whether we'll see a return to the immense pressing, solidly defensive unit we seen last season. We look so far off that, particularly away from home that it's becoming more difficult to envisage a return to it. 

The most glaringly obvious issue is that it's so easy to bypass that midfield. Teams just seem to play through us and smash us on the break again and again. How often do players find space in between the lines? Can he sort it? Does he bring in a defensive midfielder? We don't make up for a lack of intensity by being good enough on the ball, or controlling games either. It's cliche to say theres no plan B, but we only seem to sort of play one way, and if we're not at it we're poor, as has been the case in too many occasions this season.

I don't want him gone, but I am starting to wonder whether he'll turn it round.

Must admit I'm not far away from this too. The last 4 or 5 months aren't a blip, he's been brilliant to get the club form 19th to 11th to 4th but now we've dipped back into mid-table. He fully deserved all of the praise for doing so but now it's going backwards he's going to be asked some uncomfortable questions. He's ultimately responsible for results and performances, good or bad, and they've been largely bad for a long time now. He absolutely deserves the rest of this season and probably next season too but the doubts are creeping in, he's under the pump but what's he doing to change it? Why do we look so shit? Why are we conceding so many soft/shit goals? Why are we so easy to play against? Why are we playing the same way in the same formation every single game? Where has the discipline gone? Where has the aggression gone? Why are we getting done on the counter 10 times a game? Where has the defensive composure gone? Why are we shit scared to put a challenge in to stop attacks at source? 

You can't just say "injuries", it's more than that. It's far more than just injuries 

6 minutes ago, dcmk said:

Liverpool.

Man City

Arsenal

We’ve averaged one point per game over the last fourteen games.  It is potential relegation form. 

7 minutes ago, dcmk said:

Liverpool.

Man City

Arsenal

We won 1 game at home in 2 days short of 3 months 

I want to give Howe as much time as he needs and will always be grateful for how he’s transformed the club since his arrival, however I can’t shake the feeling that there’s fundamental systemic problems in our approach, which is really souring my opinion of a long-term future with him at the helm.

Aye, he definitely had my backing. He bought himself a ‘poor’ season after last year, and it’s been very hard to get anything going due to the amount of injuries we’ve had. I’m sure I read Isak and Wilson have only been in the same squad (in the league) 4 times or something.

However, he’s definitely reactive. I actually think his in game management is his weakest point. I think his subs often leave a lot to be desired and does seem to be unable to diverge from one way of playing.

That being said I still absolutely love the bloke. He made me fall back in love with Newcastle United again. If anyone’s going to deliver us success, I’d want it to be him. 

Sadly, I don’t think he will be. 

Carragher made a point we’re on course to concede 60 goals in the league this season. If that was to occur, it would means six out of the last seven seasons Howes teams have conceded that much.  That’s on average 1.6 goals a game. 

Well that’s the thing.. this extra money is a short term event.. once it’s spent, a new manager won’t have that luxury and be left with whatever Howe decides to bring in.

So it’s a huge gamble.

Give someone like Nagelsman a proper war chest would be my preference.

No time for sentiment, Klopp ball lite isn't available due to running players into the ground so he has nothing else apart from individual brilliance.

A solid PL manager but a class below our competitors bar Ten Hag

6 minutes ago, Ronson333 said:

Carragher made a point we’re on course to concede 60 goals in the league this season. If that was to occur, it would means six out of the last seven seasons Howes teams have conceded that much.  That’s on average 1.6 goals a game. 

Yet prior to Pope's injury it was probably the best defence any of us have seen for the previous two years.

6 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Well that’s the thing.. this extra money is a short term event.. once it’s spent, a new manager won’t have that luxury and be left with whatever Howe decides to bring in.

So it’s a huge gamble.

Give someone like Nagelsman a proper war chest would be my preference.

I'd be surprised if we haven't begun putting the feelers out to Nagelsmann already tbh. 

9 minutes ago, Ronson333 said:

From February 2022 to November 2023, we had a good, often very good, defensive record. It wasn't a fluke.

2 minutes ago, Izakaya said:

I'd be surprised if we haven't begun putting the feelers out to Nagelsmann already tbh. 

I think we have to give De Zerbi a call too. He's has just as many injury problems as Howe, lost his Colwill, Caicedo and Macallister and is still above us and in Europe.

3 minutes ago, TRC said:

I think we have to give De Zerbi a call too. He's has just as many injury problems as Howe, lost his Colwill, Caicedo and Macallister and is still above us and in Europe.

I dont think their injuries have been close to ours over the season.

I still reckon he gets the start of next season regardless, and goes then if thing don't start well.

I back him but can't help the doubts creeping in given the scale of our defensive collapse and that being part of his history before coming here. It's astounding how it can collapse so badly - almost 50% more goals with ten games still left to play. It's just nothing like watching last season intense solid team.

10 minutes ago, TRC said:

2 points ahead of us with 4 of the top 6 still to play

Just got twatted 4 nowt in their first knock out game in Europe

Howe has been without more players than him all season