Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

44 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

I was going to say that your comment was so innocuous. But I didn't see the unedited one :lol:

I'm intrigued now :lol:

Didn't really see the match. Sounds/looked like things carried on as they have been. I'm truly shocked that the additional rest and training time has seen us become less coordinated. I really didn't expect that, and am not sure what to make of it.

Eddie performed an absolute managerial miracle in the 2021-22 season by getting us from 19th place and odds-on relegation to mid-table safety.

He performed an even bigger miracle in 2022-23 in getting us to the Champions League and a cup final.

That people are seriously talking about getting rid of him because he hasn't performed yet another miracle this season is absolutely batshit crazy.

Edited by GideonShandy
Typo

29 minutes ago, GideonShandy said:

Eddie performed an absolute managerial miracle in the 2021-22 season by getting us from 19th place and odds-on relegation to mid-table safety.

He performed an even bigger miracle in 2022-23 in getting us to the Champions League and a cup final.

That people are seriously talking about getting rid of him because he hasn't performed yet another miracle this season is absolutely batshit crazy.

New manager/owner bounce. 

6 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Longstaff and Almiron have had contract extensions since Howe arrived. 

If he prioritised technical he wouldn’t have bought Tonali or Barnes.  

Tbh Tonali is athletic and technical.

We also have had to keep players like Almiron or Longstaff. We do not have the FFP room to replace them, and cannot let them leave for free. At least one of these will be gone come summer.

Lacking confidence

Knackered

Riddled by unprecedented amounts of injuries

Bad luck

Key players out of form / dropping clangers 

Poor tactics and game management

Weaker players getting too much game time 

Rare glimpses of our brilliance from last season 

Awful cup draws

Too many wasters still on the books 

Financially hamstrung

It’s been a mediocre season and we deserve to be where we are in the league

If this was last season we’d probably be fairly happy with mid table and a couple of cup 1/4 finals but it isn’t 2023 and the bar is now set much higher   

We need to see a return to 2023 performances toot suite, Eddie needs to dig himself out of the mud that we’re currently mired in. And I really hope he does 

Edited by bobbydazzla

How about a reijig with the coaching set up that’s around Howe? Obviously Howe has final say on that so it’s down to him, but some different voices and input on the training pitch may be needed. 

See it often with the top managers, they refresh things around them so they’re challenged, see things differently. Maybe Howe is stuck into a mindset because no-one is offering alternatives. 

1 minute ago, bobbydazzla said:

Lacking confidence

Knackered

Riddled by unprecedented amounts of injuries

Bad luck

Key players out of form / dropping clangers 

Poor tactics and game management

Rare glimpses of our brilliance from last season 

Awful cup draws

Too many wasters still on the books 

Financially hamstrung

It’s been a mediocre season and we deserve to be where we are in the league

If this was last season we’d probably be fairly happy with mid table and a couple of cup 1/4 finals but it isn’t 2023 and the bar is now set much higher   

We need to see a return to 2023 performances toot suite, Eddie needs to dig himself out of the mud that we’re currently mired in. And I really hope he does 

I think a lot of people now, with the benefit of hindsight, will reflect on a disastrous summer window as a huge problem. Lots of unforeseen circumstances but it’s turned into a horror show in the present, albeit may pay off in the future. However for 23/24 it’s been a shitter.

I am not remotely Howe out but last night does feel like the most frustrating and disappointing away result we have had in the league this season. You can forgive losing at the likes of Luton and Everton when half the squad is nakkered and the other half is out injured. The worry for me is we had a strong team out last night and we still looked hopeless, Chelsea weren't much better and still managed to beat us comfortably.  Nothing seems to be changing especially away from home no matter who we play , we were even worse at Blackburn so something is clearly amiss .

18 minutes ago, Sibierski said:

How about a reijig with the coaching set up that’s around Howe? Obviously Howe has final say on that so it’s down to him, but some different voices and input on the training pitch may be needed. 

See it often with the top managers, they refresh things around them so they’re challenged, see things differently. Maybe Howe is stuck into a mindset because no-one is offering alternatives. 

I think this is a good idea in principle, but I get the impression it's very unlikely as Eddie has historically had a pretty tight circle.

Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

I get the idea of a coaching rejig, but it's hugely undermining Howe. 

I'm working on the assumption it's his own idea, to be fair. Yeah, doing it over his head would be mental.

32 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

I think a lot of people now, with the benefit of hindsight, will reflect on a disastrous summer window as a huge problem. Lots of unforeseen circumstances but it’s turned into a horror show in the present, albeit may pay off in the future. However for 23/24 it’s been a shitter.

I agree I think Howe has been let down by recruitment last summer and even Jan. How much influence he had in the summer who knows but going into a champions league campaign we needed impact players for now. Granted we couldn’t have foreseen the Tonali situation or rather got royally screwed on that one. However injuries have been a complete disaster for us but Howe might also have to look at himself in terms of could he have managed things better early on in terms of rotation and style of play. My worry with him is does he have a plan B when players aren’t available. That was piss poor last night and with the players available we should’ve been able to put in far more of a display. 

However there’s just too much stuff that’s happened this season with injuries to really write Howe off. He defo gets the summer and start of next season though. If we’re struggling with a full squad come the autumn I think he’s gone. Huge huge pressure on Howe next season and the board in what is a crucial summer transfer window.

Edited by ExiledGeordie

We bought 3 players and loaned another with a near dead cert clause to make it permanent. Of the four we’ll be lucky to get to 40 starts across 4 competitions from them and 40 subs appearances of limited minutes.

That total is from either 51, 52 or 53 games (likely 51 when City knock us out on Saturday). Realistically it’s a maximum of 25% availability. Not good enough.

Well this is a disappointing read. Hold your nerve. Keep the toys in the prams. If Gordon and Barnes aren’t available we’ll struggle in the remaining games. If one or both are an option we should have a decent points return from the remaining games. 

Still want him to stay over the summer, but I dont think its a good idea to give him a lot to spend. He has had enough to build his team and we need to have some spending power in reserve incase we need to attract a new top manager here.

Edited by Displayname

2 minutes ago, Displayname said:

Still want him to stay over the summer, but I dont think its a good idea to give him a lot to spend this summer. He has had enough to build his team and we need to have some spending power in reserve incase we need to attract a new top manager here.

you do understand that FFP has restricted our transfer activity and we’re still carrying a load of average, poor and injury prone players from the Bruce era ? 

19 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

you do understand that FFP has restricted our transfer activity and we’re still carrying a load of average, poor and injury prone players from the Bruce era ? 

I understand that we have spent alot regardless of your irrelevant points. How Eddie has chosen to spend it is up to him. If he wanted to focus more on replacing squad players he could have. 

Edited by Displayname

The shape is all wrong at the moment, we're set up to fail and expose our slow backline. Two midfielders always ahead of the ball in possession meaning we struggle to move the ball up the pitch, then when we inevitably lose it there's massive gaps and the opposition has a free run at the defence. Worryingly this has been an issue for a long time now.

21 minutes ago, Displayname said:

I understand that we have spent alot regardless of your irrelevant points. How Eddie has chosen to spend it is up to him. If he wanted to focus more on replacing squad players he could have. 

So being hamstrung by FFP is an irrelevant point in relation to the quality of our squad ?

Are you on glue ? 

Edited by bobbydazzla

8 minutes ago, Scoot said:

Switched that Eddie Howe interview off as soon as he said "lots of positives to take"

Like, what?

Tino's performance, Isak's finish, some of the balls Murphy put into the box. He'll have a more granular view than us. There'll be stuff they've been working on in training that he saw glimpses of. To the naked eye it looked like a clueless, shite performance but I don't think Eddie can say that in his post match

Edited by Holmesy