Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

12 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

:lol: "The fatigue excuse has to stop now." Now. It was a fine excuse before. But now they're even more exhausted I don't want to hear it any more. Some logic, that. Get Ritchie on, Eddie, do some fucking managing. And that gadgie from the academy, whichever one. Anyone. 

It's so ironic people are tired of the fatigue excuse [emoji38]

Imagine a player not having any recovery time or just back from injury and being asked to perform at their best.

Just now, Holmesy said:

I don’t know, but it isn’t my job. EH is being paid £millions to manage a very ambitious, well run PL team. 

So to conclude, we can't use fatigue as an excuse because Howe should be able manage the fatigue even though there is no obvious solution? 

1 minute ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

Please tell me you have no level of responsibility for juniors or safety, in whatever you do for a job. Maybe what needs to "just be fucking managed" is your fucking expectations

I’m not a football manager mate. What a ridiculous thing to say.

I am held accountable for the team members I lead in my line of work, and if I go into a board meeting and say campaign A didn’t work because the team isn’t equipped, so we’re going to carry on running campaign A with the same team but expect different results, I would be fired. 

Just now, The Prophet said:

So to conclude, we can't use fatigue as an excuse because Howe should be able manage the fatigue even though there is no obvious solution? 

That’s why he gets paid millions of pounds, to be better than a one trick pony.

Love the absolute confidence listing all the things Howe has done wrong and the oh so obvious tweaks to fix them. As if Eddie Howe isn't going to be working with quite a bit more information than the members of Newcastle Online in making decisions.

1 minute ago, Holmesy said:

That’s why he gets paid millions of pounds, to be better than a one trick pony.

Maybe just try and appreciate the job he has done over the last 2 years or so and just enjoy it. A few bad results shouldn’t have people on his back. 

7 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

He literally used it as an excuse in his post match interview.  Otherwise why raise it?

He said that to a question about how the team can get back on track or something along those lines from what I recall. 

12 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Maybe bring Hall on to deal with Elanga’s pace, go 5 at the back and give ourselves greater numbers to mitigate the counter attack. There are loads of tactical tweaks that could’ve been made, but we just let them run right through us time after time, pushing EVERYONE forward and leaving ourselves vulnerable to the counter. It isn’t a groundbreaking suggestion to say the manager should make in game changes in reaction to what we’re all seeing.

Yep. If you go down to 10 men you wouldn't expect the manager just to carry on as we were still playing with 11. You'd take off a striker more than likely and go more compact otherwise you'd get torn to shreds. Same goes for when your team is exhausted or not physically equipped to deal with a rapid front three on the counter.

Edited by TRon

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Maybe just try and appreciate the job he has done over the last 2 years or so and just enjoy it. A few bad results shouldn’t have people on his back. 

I do. It has been an amazing ride and as always, you have to take the rough with the smooth - just look at Man City recently. But I’m not the kind of person to just blindly celebrate someone as an infallible messiah. I believe EH’s limitations are costing us results and I think it’s something we should discuss. As always I’m happy to be corrected 

4 hours ago, dcmk said:

Hall didn’t have a pre-season even for Chelsea.

Livra didn’t have much of one either.  You’re really reaching here, can only assume to fit a narrative which puts Howe in a bad light.

Livra had a pre-season. 

Hall isn’t fancied in December.  It’s more than missing pre-season that has him out the team. 

2 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

I’m not a football manager mate. What a ridiculous thing to say.

I am held accountable for the team members I lead in my line of work, and if I go into a board meeting and say campaign A didn’t work because the team isn’t equipped, so we’re going to carry on running campaign A with the same team but expect different results, I would be fired. 

Well let’s play this little hypothetical out shall we, if the majority of your workforce weren’t available for a significant period and you had to work your remaining team members like dogs to cover, would it be fair for your boss to chastise you for not being a fucking miracle worker? if those were your circumstances and you were threatened by the sack, I think any decent union rep would have your boss worried for his job personally.

25 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

:lol: "The fatigue excuse has to stop now." Now. It was a fine excuse before. But now they're even more exhausted I don't want to hear it any more. Some logic, that. Get Ritchie on, Eddie, do some fucking managing. And that gadgie from the academy, whichever one. Anyone. 

Reminds me of

Overall I think Howe is a better manager than Rafa in 2023. 

But Rafa rotates this team much more than Howe has from GW1. He’d start Krafth or Hall if he felt the normal starter wasn’t fit enough to start. Rafa prioritised player fitness and sharpness more than immediate fixtures. 

Howe is the opposite. He prioritises the next game over absolutely everything. 

20 minutes ago, Erikse said:

This was pretty much the last game of the insane fixture congestion.. I know the next games in the league are difficult, but atleast there will be several days between each fixture. This might help us to not look awful atleast.

From this point forward we'll be adjusting from a game every 4.8 days to a game every 7.3 days. That's an immense gain.

(5.6 if we go all the way to the FA Cup Final)

With returning players and backing in the January market, we'll finally have capacity to correct things. We haven't had that luxury recently; in fact we've had increasingly less capacity to repair things. 

5 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

Well let’s play this little hypothetical out shall we, if the majority of your workforce weren’t available for a significant period and you had to work your remaining team members like dogs to cover, would it be fair for your boss to chastise you for not being a fucking miracle worker? if those were your circumstances and you were threatened by the sack, I think any decent union rep would have your boss worried for his job personally.

I would try and find a way to deliver the best results I could with the team members I had available. Sit with them, discuss impactful strategies we could deliver with reduced numbers. In other words, create a plan B. Rather than make excuses - they tend to fall on deaf ears

Edited by Holmesy

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Livra had a pre-season. 

Hall isn’t fancied in December.  It’s more than missing pre-season that has him out the team. 

Howe has commented on Hall about why he's not getting much playing time.  That there are areas he needs to work on.  Which are fair enough but him missing all of pre-season, with us and Chelsea, wouldn't have helped him at all.

Gordon is a perfect example about what a pre-season can do for a player.  

Livra didn't have a pre-season with us.  

1 minute ago, dcmk said:

Howe has commented on Hall about why he's not getting much playing time.  That there are areas he needs to work on.  Which are fair enough but him missing all of pre-season, with us and Chelsea, wouldn't have helped him at all.

Gordon is a perfect example about what a pre-season can do for a player.  

Livra didn't have a pre-season with us.  

It’s just a weak excuse.  

The coach seems to like a small squad or at least only trusts a small amount of his squad and wants to play a high intensity game and attack 4 competitions. That’s probably an unsustainable combo. 

3 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

You have been, multiple times, and yet here we are. :lol: 

I really haven’t mate. Not once. Some people have offered different opinions but that’s not the same thing.

Edited by Holmesy

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

It’s just a weak excuse.  

The coach seems to like a small squad or at least only trusts a small amount of his squad and wants to play a high intensity game and attack 4 competitions. That’s probably an unsustainable combo. 

I do somewhat agree.

But none of us are privvy to what's happening in training.  So to not use them when desperately needed has been confusing.  Can only assume there is a good reason, and weren't ready / fit.

Edited by dcmk

52 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

This will happen again and again and again under Howe unless he learns from it.  I’m more than happy for him to be given the time to learn, but he absolutely is not the victim of bad luck re injuries and fatigue. 

This is an incredible thing to say like. We've had like 11 players out, most with serious injuries like broken bones. Of course it's bad luck and of course it has stretched his ability to manage the squad to beyond breaking point. 

All these posts saying Howe has fucked up the management of the squad and this can't go on in future seasons - he presumably won't have to contend with a whole team out in future seasons and will have a deeper squad. It won't be an issue. 

It's got nowt to do with how he's managed the squad and everything to do with a lot of people not being able to handle the downturn in form and wanting to make this into something it isn't. And the way Howe has performed before having to navigate these ridiculous circumstances, you'd expect a bit more leeway tbh. 

Edited by Interpolic

9 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Overall I think Howe is a better manager than Rafa in 2023. 

But Rafa rotates this team much more than Howe has from GW1. He’d start Krafth or Hall if he felt the normal starter wasn’t fit enough to start. Rafa prioritised player fitness and sharpness more than immediate fixtures. 

Howe is the opposite. He prioritises the next game over absolutely everything. 

He was rotating Isak/Wilson, Miggy/Murphy and Longstaff/Tonali a fair bit. Barnes/Gordon rotation had just started when Barnes got injured after 8 minutes in his second start. Played weakened sides in the league cup other than the Chelsea game too. It's not like he's purposely played the same 11 each week recently he's just favoured a kanckered Gordon or Miggy over Ritchie etc which is fair enough really. 

58 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

I’m afraid it’s shit one-trick-pony management in that case. We can’t be at full tilt all the time and what we’ve seen is that when we’re not, we’re shit and we get beaten….badly. Zero ability to adapt. Plan B is something that has been mentioned time and time again, but even tweaks to plan A would be something. 

Yeah and Howe has to adapt, he has to learn and I'm sure he is. Total different to what he has experienced before but in management you have to fail to improve over and over again. I have faith that he has the mentality to do this