Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 hour ago, PeepShow4life said:

I'm definitely warming to Howe but the two things that worry me are if he decides to keep playing Ritchie due him playing for him before and also that the club seem to be insisting on keeping Jones around.

Jones May also have one of those ridiculous release/ termination clauses inserted by Ashley 

Just now, Manxst said:

Via a record breaking run of goal scoring form from Willock who looks far from replicating that feat. Without him we’d have sunk like a stone. Howe has got his work cut out imo to get form back for more than a few of our players. 

True about willock, hopefully howe flips that switch in willock.

Guest reefatoon
2 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

The caulkin article says he impressed them with his idea of who to target in the January window and how he could work with Jones. And they where also impressed because he has worked with Wilson, Ritchie and Fraser before.

Urgh. Just bin him man.

3 minutes ago, Klaus said:

'Reportedly interviewed via Zoom last week, further talks with him are expected - although unlike Emery, it's unclear whether Howe is backed by all of the owners.'

Noticed this on .com

I certainly hope that our complex new owner set up, doesn't result in conflict with other big decisions, further down the line. Early days of course and only time will tell.

That’s from Caulkin although they have changes the wording.  Basically some of the board preferred Emery to Howe 

Yeah I've been wondering if Jones is on a different deal to the Steve's and its going to cost them too much to axe him. If the cost of axing him outweighs the benefits of getting rid of him then it makes sense.

Also, whether we rate him or not is irrelevant. He's clearly highly rated amongst the coaching circles.

Edited by STM

I agree , get Howe in and get the absolute weapons mouths shut on Twitter.

Id have snapped ya hands off for him 3 months ago , we should be lucky to have him .

The comments against him are embarrassing.

3 minutes ago, ScottishMagpie said:

My faith has been restored. So many well balanced posts this morning. Understand some have concerns but some of the shite getting typed has been fucking embarrassing.

Get him in pronto and get moving up this lifting league!!

opinions aren't embarrassing.  I just think we as a fan base have been absolutely battered for so long that we all hoped the takeover would put an end to it.  Its actually increased the battering and the last few days have increased it further, when in fact it was so avoidable.

If you aren't excited by Howe, that's fair enough but at least be content. Content that the guy won't talk shite in the press. Content that he's a genuinely good coach. Content that he will play adventurous attacking football. Content with progress. Content with positive change.

If we still get relegated, so be it. Eddie Howe is more than capable of swashbuckling us back up at the first time of asking.

Edited by STM

I’m not massively excited by Howe but I will be massively excited to go into a new managerial appointment in the knowledge that the club are actually trying to improve. It’s a bonus personally that he likes to play attacking football as I like to watch it! I’m sure they’ll back him appropriately in Jan and if so, we’ll stay up. We just need to stay up this season, everything else is noise. Howe will get my support until he proves he doesn’t deserve it anymore.

Notice the comments here, lots of Newcastle fans very happy with the prospect Howe was tactically aware. Shame all it took was a takeover for everything to be forgotten. We tried Emery we tried high calibre but they haven't accepted, though not sure on Fonseca or Favre what happened since.

The video itself is well posted but the comments I'm focusing on by our fans

Just now, Awaymag said:

opinions aren't embarrassing.  I just think we as a fan base have been absolutely battered for so long that we all hoped the takeover would put an end to it.  Its actually increased the battering and the last few days have increased it further, when in fact it was so avoidable.

I don't see how moving from an ownership structure who deliberately handicap the club, to one who made a mistake trying to act in the best interests of the club is a 'battering' though.

1 minute ago, STM said:

If you aren't excited by Howe, that's fair enough but at least be content. Content that the guy won't talk shite in the press. Content that he's a genuinely good coach. Content that he will play adventurous attacking football. Content with progress. Content with positive change.

If we still get relegated, so be it. Eddie Howe is more than capable of swashbuckling us back up at the first time of asking.

Really important point this. Some people need to take stock and realise what’s actually happened recently, we’ve actually got something to look forward to now. The club are trying to improve, that’s massive. So you don’t think the new manager is amazing? Fine, but give him a chance, go and support the team with your full chest, so to speak.

I'm hoping he does well if he comes in, doesn't really matter who you get in and even big names bring no certainty it will work. I'll give him till after January and see how we are doing before making any judgement. 

4 minutes ago, STM said:

Good post but I wouldn’t take it as a given that he wouldn’t be sacked if we are relegated 

1 minute ago, ManDoon said:

Love how it’s bedwetting it even slightly question a guy who during his last job literally relegated a team. I’ll get behind him, and I don’t think he’s a terrible manager but that run of form they had was truly abysmal. Worse than anything under pardew or Bruce 

To be fair, people are saying stuff like 'that's us relegated'.

That's not questioning him.

2 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

Love how it’s bedwetting it even slightly question a guy who during his last job literally relegated a team. I’ll get behind him, and I don’t think he’s a terrible manager but that run of form they had was truly abysmal. Worse than anything under pardew or Bruce 

Klopp got Mainz relegated then, stayed and couldn't get them repromoted.

1 minute ago, ManDoon said:

I’m sure that based on everything I’ve read about the man, and listened to him speak in these YouTube videos and old interviews - he’s probably learned a ton from that and will look to rectify that if ever presented with that scenario (hopefully not). 

Think he’ll get the heartbeat of the city and the stadium fairly quickly, such is how reflective and intentional he seems. He will hold this job and club with the utmost respect and I guarantee he will never speak of us like Bruce or Pardew ever did (which is not saying much, but it never should happen). 

5 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

He relegated a team. He also took them from League 2 to the PL and kept them there for 5 years.

Warmed to the idea of Howe now, and like others have touched on, I've probably been guilty myself of just expecting a 'bigger' name automatically because we have £££. Yes Emery would have a been a bold statement, but fair play for going for blokes like that.

For all we know, Howe could have been 8th choice. They've interviewed many candidates by the sounds of it, and if he's impressed them then fair enough. Certainly sounds like he impressed more than Fonseca, who I wanted at first. So good on him and the board for identifying that.

We are literally 19th and 6 points adrift. We're probably not the catch we (including I) think we are to many managers. Howe can hopefully keep us up and if he does well, great. 17th this year then midtable next year would be massive progress. Then we can reassess where we want to go summer 23.

FWIW, I think everyone - including Howe - will realise long term he won't be the man, but for now let's get behind him and stay up. If he does well then he can leave and get another good job. Our new owners aren't buying us to have Eddie Howe as the face of their club long term, but he's about as good as we can hope for right now by the looks of it. We've probably been knocked back by a good few imo.

Maybe underwhelming, but new owners + Howe is 10000000000000% better than Ashley + Bruce, which we were resigned to forever only 4 weeks ago.

7 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I don't see how moving from an ownership structure who deliberately handicap the club, to one who made a mistake trying to act in the best interests of the club is a 'battering' though.

battering from the press, pundits and other fans.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Good post but I wouldn’t take it as a given that he wouldn’t be sacked if we are relegated 

They should really keep him if we go down unless someone becomes available that they prefer long term at can rebuild the whole structure e.g Rafa, it's going to be a tall order to keep us up this season already with this team and the way we have been playing, that's one if the main reasons nobody else will come in. Let's give the guy a chance as this team need much longer to get rid of most of this squad. 

6 minutes ago, Awaymag said:

I agree to an extent. Everyone is entitled to an opinion on if Howe is right choice but for some to start on "oh, he'll play Ritchie" etc. is bollocks. Id happily trail through previous pages for examples but on my phone just now so feck that.

If you thought NUFC getting taken over would stop us being battered you're mistaken. Not going in to conspiracy pish but folk are, and should be, worried about what we could do.