Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Wasn't he widely touted as taking over from Wenger whilst he was at Bournemouth? Aye it went stale but he was obviously very highly thought of. I don't see anything to see why that would have changed.

Edited by Magpie

He's not going to attract any better quality of player which is what we need.  I just don't get it - a massive gamble imo.  I am not saying he's a bad coach just don't think he's the right man to take us forward and more importantly keep us up. 

4 minutes ago, kisearch said:

This is what I can't get my head around. If he's turned down numerous jobs so that he can get the right opportunity, why would this situation be the right opportunity for him? It doesn't really make any sense. 

Because it's an incredible opportunity to be part of rebuilding a club from the bottom up, and he'll seemingly be working with owners that are very engaged and intent on having the team challenge at the very top, with the resources to back that all up.

How does that not make sense?

2 minutes ago, kisearch said:

This is what I can't get my head around. If he's turned down numerous jobs so that he can get the right opportunity, why would this situation be the right opportunity for him? It doesn't really make any sense. 

Strange statement. The "New NUFC" job is the right job for any and every quality manager, just think of what will eventually be ahead of you.

The only exceptions amongst those 'quality' managers, are those who are literally scared to death of themselves not actually being good enough to win a short-term fight against relegation. There are a fair sprinkling of those around, and in the real world we would just call them what they are - cowards, pure and simple. 

We will soon have the right manager for the job . . . whoever that may be !!!

If they'd have gotten him in right away it would have seemed a bit less of an underwhelming appointment, a few weeks of speculation hasn't helped at all. 

A few months ago I'd have chopped my knob off for Howe to come in and replace Bruce, the first manager to come in was always going to be harder to attract. 

6 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

More excited if it’s true he’s bringing his own coaching team with him 

Yeah just saw that tweet. He insisted on it.

It also mentions that it was a big part of why he ultimately didn't go to Celtic as they weren't going to allow him to bring in a full backroom team.

1 minute ago, Fantail Breeze said:

How many on here would’ve been unhappy with Howe before the takeover?

Those unrealistic expectations taking a shine already. PIF investment doesn’t equal immediate success and superstars. Let’s get over the first hurdle of relegation, eh?

Thats the problem though, many aren’t sure whether Howe is the right man to avoid relegation. That’s all I’m looking at right now. Yes it would be nice to have a manager to grow with but immediate concern is avoiding the drop and setting us back again. Is Howe the right man for it? I’m really not sold but time is running out and we need something to spark this season in to action starting with Brighton. 

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

I like that like Fonseca, he's done his research and probably has a decent idea about how he's going to set up.

It'd be nice to have him in for the weekend, if only to pick the team.

Still no news on Jones taking the pre match press conference so I assume still a chance Howe will be in 

I think many of us, myself included, got swept up in the post-takeover excitement with manager choice. In reality we're not at that level yet and Howe could hopefully be the 1st step to get us there... certainly my preference over a Lampard or Gerrard appointment.

We'll be able to give a little knowing nod to some of the managers we couldn't persuade to join us on our way up past them to the top!

'Instead, that title goes to ex-Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe who coached Wilshere for the 2016-17 season.

He said: "The angriest one would probably be Eddie Howe.

"He had a group of players who had been with him through League One and the level of training that he demanded from them in terms of intensity and focus.

"You could just be doing a simple passing drill and if you didn't do it properly he would be on you, shouting and screaming at you. But it worked. He got the best out of them boys."

The argument that he spent more than Liverpool net one season pisses me off btw, because it’s an argument not based on real facts and reality, it’s the same shite spouted by people saying Bruce is better than Rafa or did a better job because he finished with more points one season or in the same league position. It’s lazy, it’s uneducated and it’s baseless in whatever narrative is being driven. 

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Yeah just saw that tweet. He insisted on it.

It also mentions that it was a big part of why he ultimately didn't go to Celtic as they weren't going to allow him to bring in a full backroom team.

Celtics loss our gain hopefully. Yeah we really need to give him a clean slate and let him bring in who he wants.

5 minutes ago, duo said:

He's not going to attract any better quality of player which is what we need.  I just don't get it - a massive gamble imo.  I am not saying he's a bad coach just don't think he's the right man to take us forward and more importantly keep us up. 

Not going to be able to attract a better quality of player? Come on man ... 

I’m warming very much to Howe now, we may go down, but if backed, supported, and we buy well. I think he will create an attractive football team similar to what Rodgers has done to compete around the top spot within a few years. 

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

If and when it’s confirmed be interesting to see the length of contract 

I imagine 3 years with certain clauses. 

It’s being reported that Howe would ask for Richard Hughes to be installed as Technical Director. Don’t really know anything about him but they worked together at Bournemouth. 

Howe was not my first choice but if he’s the way we go I would leave to see a Howe x Rangnick link up

Just now, B-more Mag said:

Definitely warming up to him as an underdog type. I think he'd exceed a lot of people's expectations. 

Aye, but it will soon turn sour when he can’t attract the likes of Messi…

3 minutes ago, Magpie said:

'Instead, that title goes to ex-Bournemouth boss Eddie Howe who coached Wilshere for the 2016-17 season.

He said: "The angriest one would probably be Eddie Howe.

"He had a group of players who had been with him through League One and the level of training that he demanded from them in terms of intensity and focus.

"You could just be doing a simple passing drill and if you didn't do it properly he would be on you, shouting and screaming at you. But it worked. He got the best out of them boys."

Exactly what we need right now, a huge uptick in intensity. 

The team is so pathetically lax and passive. It's so disgusting. I'd pay good money to watch him light a fire under some of those pansies in training.

Just now, MagCA said:

It’s being reported that Howe would ask for Richard Hughes to be installed as Technical Director. Don’t really know anything about him but they worked together at Bournemouth. 

Howe was not my first choice but if he’s the way we go I would leave to see a Howe x Rangnick link up

A manager dictating who the person above is is a huge red flag to me.