Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Watching that video of Howe mic’d up, there’s a decent amount of counter attacking drills, which he could employ here to tighten up our defence, similar to what Rafa did. Plenty of numbers at the back and rapid counter attacks could be our get-out for this season. 
In Murphy, Almiron, Willock, ASM and Wilson we’ve definitely got the forward players to do it.

3 minutes ago, 54 said:

I actually personally think you can separate the two, you can be a good coach/ assistant, yet make an awful manager, there has been a load of cases of that happening. Our new (potential) assistant manager in Jason Tindall being the same, should we be annoyed that he could be getting appointed?

Also caretaker managers rarely do well too fwiw. 

Nah I agree, don't want to make a big deal of this. I just don't think Jones has shown anything as a coach either. Not here anyway. We stayed up because Willock had the time of his life, that's it. 

Like I say, fine if Howe wants to keep him.

Just now, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Nah I agree, don't want to make a big deal of this. I just don't think Jones has shown anything as a coach either. Not here anyway. We stayed up because Willock had the time of his life, that's it. 

Like I say, fine if Howe wants to keep him.

I get you, its kind of a pointless debate to be honest, after this weekend we're not going to see or hear from him again, as he'll meld into the backroom team, and everyone will foget he exists. Weirdly he reminds me a bit of Cathro, did he come in under McLaren, or was he a Rafa coach?

Journalists have gone very quiet. I suspect they know fine well what is going on but have probably been told not to say anything after what happened with Emery.

It's not a foregone conclusion BTW. Howe had problems agreeing stuff around his backroom team with Celtic.

1 minute ago, 54 said:

I get you, its kind of a pointless debate to be honest, after this weekend we're not going to see or hear from him again, as he'll meld into the backroom team, and everyone will foget he exists. Weirdly he reminds me a bit of Cathro, did he come in under McLaren, or was he a Rafa coach?

Cathro was a McClaren hire and Rafa saw worth keeping him on so very much a similar set of circumstances. 

Think it's worth keeping Jones to be honest. He has a lot of familiarity with the club and the area as he is from Newcastle, and that will be useful to all the new coaches coming in. He can also provide some insight into the players and their habits, as he knows them all pretty well by now.

He also has some familiarity with Tindall who he was assistant to when he took over from Howe I believe. It's a sensible fit and Howe seems to have no problem keeping him on, so we just need to let that go tbh.

Think it's also well worth having someone in and around the England setup as that can give us insight into some of the players in and around the team, and we might get an opportunity to bring some of them into Newcastle at some point. And because they will already know Jones and have worked with him that would be a plus point.

5 minutes ago, STM said:

Journalists have gone very quiet. I suspect they know fine well what is going on but have probably been told not to say anything after what happened with Emery.

It's not a foregone conclusion BTW. Howe had problems agreeing stuff around his backroom team with Celtic.

I'd hazard a guess he's doing all the club media stuff that is going to be released once he's confirmed.

Guest reefatoon
7 minutes ago, wormy said:

Cathro was a McClaren hire and Rafa saw worth keeping him on so very much a similar set of circumstances. 

Yeah true, and if Howe keeps him on and we do well, then he fully deserves the same amount of credit as Howe and the rest of his coaching team. I just find it mad how people accuse others of "hatred" just because people are critical. I just think it's down to the whole team that is in place for the state we are in, not just one man. For me Bruce and his whole team have us in this state, it's nothing personal or hatred. 

Edited by reefatoon

Just now, reefatoon said:

Yeah true, and if Howe keeps him on and we do well, then he fully deserves the same amount of credit as Howe and the rest of his coaching team. I just find it mad how people accuse others of "hatred" just because people are critical. I just think you should it's down to the whole team that is in place for the state we are in, not just one man. For me Bruce and his whole team have us in this state, it's nothing personal or hatred. 

Never really seen him as one of Bruce's men to be honest.

His only fault for me has been perhaps not being more adventurous the last two games, but they were tough fixtures and so perhaps he just wanted to prioritize grinding out a point in both instances.

Howe is going to get all the coaches he wants in, and if the club are happy to pay for an extra man on his staff due to his local ties and his familiarity with some of the people Howe is bringing in, then all good IMO.

4 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Never really seen him as one of Bruce's men to be honest.

His only fault for me has been perhaps not being more adventurous the last two games, but they were tough fixtures and so perhaps he just wanted to prioritize grinding out a point in both instances.

Howe is going to get all the coaches he wants in, and if the club are happy to pay for an extra man on his staff due to his local ties and his familiarity with some of the people Howe is bringing in, then all good IMO.

Will Tindall join Howe’s staff? Jones having been his number 2 would be a handy link.

3 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Will Tindall join Howe’s staff? Jones having been his number 2 would be a handy link.

Tindall assistant

Jones, Purches, Weatherstone coaches

Hodges fitness/medical

Is what is being reported

Guest reefatoon
Just now, Optimistic Nut said:

A coach who knows the squad (good and bad) working with Howe and a guy he worked with also seems like sense then.

That's the bit that worries me after the garbage he spouted about dropping Fernandez and picking Krafth instead. Don't want that kind of nonsense passed on in the early days (until Howe can see for himself)

Just now, reefatoon said:

That's the bit that worries me after the garbage he spouted about dropping Fernandez and picking Krafth instead. Don't want that kind of nonsense passed on in the early days (until Howe can see for himself)

I think if he had said the “Feddy” quotes to Howe, I’d hope that wouldn’t Jedi mind trick him and he’d see straight through that shit! 

38 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

It's not hate and has nothing to do with him being interim manager. It's just down to the evidence of the clip of the players that the whole coaching team is not good enough. The state of our team shows absolutely nothing of him being a good coach. The players look a total mess and it's mad to me how people don't seem to see that it wasn't just Bruce that had the players like that, but also his coaching team he surrounded himself with.

It would be interesting to know who's appointment he really was. Maybe part of the reason he stuck around was based on the knowledge Bruce would go soon enough. I don't doubt Jones has been overhyped a bit but he is clearly a different league to the 3 Steve's based on his reputation, experience and connection with players.

It is impossible to know how much control he had or ability to change anything, so it is not like anyone is definitively right or wrong here, he could be really shit but it is also harsh to judge Jones imo in the shower of shit he has been surrounded with when it seems he didn't have much control and possibly huge influence. Ultimately he is a part of it but so was Eddie Howe coaching under Kevin Bond at Bournemouth. Things could be different had Bournemouth canned him along with Bond and the other coaches. As he alluded to the other week, he took his ideas to Bruce to approve. Who knows what was and wasn't. I'd imagine it is next to impossible to change a culture at a club when the Manager and his two long term trusted assistants have zero interest in changing, along with a fair majority of players that have enjoyed the freedom, lack of structure and lazy ethos Bruce and co. gave them. Too many of the players have become complicit with situation and when things go wrong in games you default back to what you are used to. When the overall culture is rotten and players know they can get away with slacking or not performing all the coaching in the world from one person means little with 3 others who are in charge undermining and contradicting.

The last part is conjecture for sure but it has been clear the squad has been broken mentally and physically for a long time and the players consistently still performing.. Wilson? Always first to Jones, those splintered team talk sessions in breaks of play with both the Steves and then Jones talking to different players or end of games, the ones that care are around Jones. 

There just seems to be more speculation he is a bad coach in comparison to the indicators he isn't. He has a fantastic reputation and sure pundits give Bruce praise too! Difference is Jones has been in demand and invited to the England set up, it's not just pundit buddies hype and hot air. With any change over you have to assess what value do staff/players offer the club and do they have potential to improve things. Jones clearly does in the owners eyes or the FA and Southgate. The three Steve's clearly didn't. I could get the bitching if Agnew got assurances. Granted I am giving him an out but there are always just too many variables to simply say from the outside that X was part of a failing team he needs to go, why is it any different to players? How many players have made their careers off the back of a new manager coming in and changing their game when they looked finished, dipped form or plain hopeless/terrible before and we can quantify players performance a lot easier as its so visible. The majority of our players haven't delivered but their is a fair few I am happy will get the chance to see if with a new manager can improve and meet potential. 

Irrespective, coming back to his standing, genuine passion and knowledge of the club, there is a place for him somewhere and again if he doesn't work with Howe he won't work with him long. Seems more people that want to improve want to work with Jones than don't.

I do quite like there being someone with local knowledge/a fan involved in set ups, especially when its someone new, kinda out of left field coming in.

Albeit we had that with Pardew it was in a malaise that messrs Carver and Stone were comfortable with.

I dunno stops a disconnect even if its just a placebo effect