Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

Just now, The College Dropout said:

I don’t see 3.5 years down the Saudi’s being happy with anything less than Newcastle on the biggest stage.  

I think Emery was identified as someone who could get us there within 2-3 seasons.  The expectations of Howe will be the same. 

Sure, but anyone who knows anything about football knows that's frankly impossible in real terms. The Saudis may be demanding, but they aren't stupid.

Just now, HawK said:

I think you're misquoting me there to be honest. Progression doesn't mean that does it?

If we finish where we are now, which is 9th, and then next year 7-8th, following year 5-6th I think that's absolutely acceptable by any measure, by anyone.

Then we’re saying the same thing. 7th/8th suggests with clever investment we should be knocking on the CL door the following season.  5-6 is finishing above at least 1 of Man U, Spurs, Arsenal, Chelsea then West Ham, Leicester etc.

If we perform like Brighton next season. Never involved in relegation. Big questions will be asked of the management and recruitment hierarchy by the bosses imo. Some are advocating that as good progress. 

Guest HTT II

We should aim for the top six next season, but be happy with 8th. Again, there isn’t a huge gap between ourselves and say WHU and even Man Utd. We are 3 top players to our spine away from being a much much better side. CB, CM and CF. We will strengthen other areas other than that no doubt so I feel we should be looking at say WHU this season as a yardstick at least.

Edited by HTT II

5 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Would people be upset if we binned off Howe for Poch early in the season if we don't make the start we hope for?

Jesus Christ, what an appalling comment. Aye lets quickly sack the manager who has completely turned around 14 years of purgatory in a mere 4 months. For fucking potless Pochettino too, no less.

Truly one of the worst posts I have seen on here. 

I really hope this isn't an indication of how our support is going to act when things don't always go the way we want.

Howe has done a brilliant job, the talk of replacing him is ludicrous especially when attaching it to league positions without any context.

Howe showed improvements, was then backed in January and he repaid that backing and some.

It's now over to the owners to back him again in the summer and the expectations will be formed on the back of it.

For example if we sign 3-4 Burn level players then it's unrealistic to expect top 4/6 challenges imo however if we get 2-3 Bruno level players with a few others to beef up the squad so we don't need to rely on Longstaff/Murphy etc then the expectations will no doubt change 

Last year we conceded the most goals in a calendar year by a Premier League club in 80, this year in 15 games we've only conceded 13 (with 5 being in one game against Spurs) and have 6 clean sheets. 

He’s allowed as much time as it takes imo. Done and incredible job.

Genuinely thought he’d been brought in to help us get promoted after certainty of relegation and build from there. Staying up is an added bonus. 

47 minutes ago, HawK said:

Sure, but anyone who knows anything about football knows that's frankly impossible in real terms. The Saudis may be demanding, but they aren't stupid.

It's not impossible at all. I keep saying it, City went 10, 5, 3. They'll expect us to be within 2 maybe 3 positions of that.

I don't think they'll be livid if we finished 5/6. As i've said before that still means we've jumped "the rest" and broken up the top 6. But we'll want to push on.

39 minutes ago, HTT II said:

We should aim for the top six next season, but be happy with 8th. Again, there isn’t a huge gap between ourselves and say WHU and even Man Utd. We are 3 top players to our spin away from being a much much better side. CB, CM and CF. We will strengthen other areas other than that no doubt so I feel we should be looking at say WHU this season as a yardstick at least.

Content with 8th, not happy. 8th means a Wolves, Leicester, Villa, West Ham finished above us. West Ham went from 11, 13, 10, 16th to 6th. Wolves went from Championship to 7th back to back.

I have no doubt the owners will back the manager. It will be up to recruitment to succeed.

I'll add Southampton's old bloke to Poch as an example of levelling up at the right time. FWIW I hope they give Howe the season if they genuinely believe in him.

Guest HTT II
Just now, The College Dropout said:

It's not impossible at all. I keep saying it, City went 10, 5, 3. They'll expect us to be within 2 maybe 3 positions of that.

I don't think they'll be livid if we finished 5/6. As i've said before that still means we've jumped "the rest" and broken up the top 6. But we'll want to push on.

Content with 8th, not happy. 8th means a Wolves, Leicester, Villa, West Ham finished above us. West Ham went from 11, 13, 10, 16th to 6th. Wolves went from Championship to 7th back to back.

I have no doubt the owners will back the manager. It will be up to recruitment to succeed.

I'll add Southampton's old bloke to Poch as an example of levelling up at the right time. FWIW I hope they give Howe the season if they genuinely believe in him.

Content/happy is the same thing for me. You’ve illustrated just how fragile the league is outside of the the likes of City, Liverpool, Chelsea and Man Utd who are now in a fragile position themselves along with Spurs and Arsenal who are always one season away from being in the top 6-4 or outside of that mini group where a Leicester or WHU can gate crash.

So can we and that should be the aim and I think it will be, privately anyway. Howe goes into every game, home or away, regardless of opposition seeking to win 3 points and although we’ve been defensive and cautious due to the lack of attacking quality we possess and our position in the table/fighting relegation, we’ve still went out to win every game under him. 

1 hour ago, HTT II said:

We should aim for the top six next season, but be happy with 8th. Again, there isn’t a huge gap between ourselves and say WHU and even Man Utd. We are 3 top players to our spine away from being a much much better side. CB, CM and CF. We will strengthen other areas other than that no doubt so I feel we should be looking at say WHU this season as a yardstick at least.

Add a right sided attacking player and I agree. The four most important positions that should be top top priority to strengthen first in the summer. 

Guest HTT II
10 minutes ago, Ikon said:

Add a right sided attacking player and I agree. The four most important positions that should be top top priority to strengthen first in the summer. 

CB, DCM, ARW, CF and we’d be laughing. 

Guest HTT II

I’d be happy with Bruno’s pal from Brazil/Lyon and go without a DCM and right winger mind, but I think we need a ball playing quick and powerful CB badly to allow us to play further up the pitch which in turn will allow us to have more possession in midfield in the opposition half. That and a top CF is the main priority for me. 

6 hours ago, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

I do have some concerns that if we go on an aggressive recruitment drive this summer we are going to have an influx of high quality players and a manager tasked with keeping it all together whilst acheiving on field success. Not sure Howe would be brilliant at that given his relatively low profile. Worse problems to have I know.

Howe deserves the opportunity to take the club forward and I'd be disappointed if he wasn't given it. 

I think that's exactly what defines a good manager though, knowing how to build a team rather than just a collection of fancy players. Howe seems to have had a big input into recruitment in January, and far from going for the flash names, he brought in good characters. Even with his biggest signing, he waited quite a while before starting him.

Eddie seems to be a very shrewd operator, I am quite confident he will be quite vocal about who we bring in, and I'm equally confident he'll know how to handle them once they are here. Top eight is my realistic aim for next season, but deep down I'd be a bit disappointed if we didn't make top six.

Guest HTT II
6 minutes ago, TRon said:

I think that's exactly what defines a good manager though, knowing how to build a team rather than just a collection of fancy players. Howe seems to have had a big input into recruitment in January, and far from going for the flash names, he brought in good characters. Even with his biggest signing, he waited quite a while before starting him.

Eddie seems to be a very shrewd operator, I am quite confident he will be quite vocal about who we bring in, and I'm equally confident he'll know how to handle them once they are here. Top eight is my realistic aim for next season, but deep down I'd be a bit disappointed if we didn't make top six.

I’m told he had a big say on Trippier, Burn, Targett and Wood and obviously didn’t say no to Bruno and that we have two deals already in place for players that I assume we were linked with in January or close to buying. I’d say one is Lingard and the other is that French youngster, but that’s just a guess. We also seem to have an agreed purchase for Targett. I think once the window opens we will see movement within two weeks at least, with those players whoever they are signed up.

26 minutes ago, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

I would rather Howe than Pochettetino, I know that's not really what this thread was about, but I have more confidence in Howe taking us forward. 

Same, and I'm a big Pochettino fan. Howe is still developing into a manager, he's getting better with every year of experience under his belt.

15 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I’m told he had a big say on Trippier, Burn, Targett and Wood and obviously didn’t say no to Bruno and that we have two deals already in place for players that I assume we were linked with in January or close to buying. I’d say one is Lingard and the other is that French youngster, but that’s just a guess. We also seem to have an agreed purchase for Targett. I think once the window opens we will see movement within two weeks at least, with those players whoever they are signed up.

I think if you look at the big picture, it's pretty clear that Dan Ashworth and Howe are lined up to be the future of Newcastle for some time. It's not a short term project, the idea wil be to build incrementally, and build something pretty huge. Those two already know each other pretty well and there is mutual respect, so I would imagine they will be on the same page when it comes to recruitment.

Howe is the next super manager, the next Alex Ferguson. Pretty bloody obvious to me:  he’s pulled a mediocre team (excl Bruno) from relegation favourites to top 10 potential in the blink of an eye. 
100% the long term man. 

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Our owners are having to deal within FFP, whereas City - through the loophole of "sponsorship" money (a loophole now closed) - did not. Ask anyone in the know at the club, and they will tell you that our situation, no matter PIF's wealth, is incomparable to that of City. 

29 minutes ago, HTT II said:

As well as buying Targett, an RCB, a striker and possibly a  right winger is the business the club expect to do this summer.

4 minutes ago, magorific said:

Our owners are having to deal within FFP, whereas City - through the loophole of "sponsorship" money (a loophole now closed) - did not. Ask anyone in the know at the club, and they will tell you that our situation, no matter PIF's wealth, is incomparable to that of City. 

I think this makes climbing the table more time critical - not less. That sponsorship loophole is now based on "fair market rate". The better we perform on the pitch, the better sponsorship deals can be justified.

They'll want European football within 2 seasons imo. That's a jump that can justify considerably bigger sponsorships.

Would not change Howe for anyone. Players progressing, the club moving forward, the feel of a united team. 

I often wonder what might have been had Mike Ashley not screwed over Kevin Keegan over. Remembering the few months of joy when he returned was absolutely fantastic. This feeling is back now, and i really hope we stick with Eddie for a long time.

Great job turning the whole mess from the last era into this, and starting to really move this club forward in such a short time. Well fucking done Eddie!

Edited by matta
Typo

To be honest, he's been so good, especially since the turn of the year, I'm actually pretty quite surprised there's been no 'Peddie Howe' talk from those down the road, in line with their 'Rafa Beneathus' and 'Beheadie' [emoji38].

Guest HTT II

Aye I’d not swap Howe for anyone right now other than Pep or Klopp and even then, I don’t think those two would have done any better with the players we have right now than Howe. I am desperate for him to develop as a manager along with the team and club all together. I’ve always rated him, but he’s surprised me tactically and defensively, we are very Rafa like as a team right now, but are less rigid going forward. The team sprit is as high as it’s ever been and even those that don’t feature or feature not a lot seem fully integrated into the entire dynamic set by Howe and his staff and that is so hard to do at any level in football. It’s all for one, and one for all. I had us down so many times even after wins, but he’s turned things around in a way I’ve not yet seen from a NUFC Premier League team.