Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

12 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Would people be upset if we binned off Howe for Poch early in the season if we don't make the start we hope for?

Yes. Unless it looks like the club is somehow in another relegation battle he deserves the full season come what may.

19 hours ago, TRon said:

Make it top 8 and we are talking.

To be honest, if we miss out on 10th by a point, but we hit say 55 points and we're no where near the relegation battle, that probably represents progress in the league. We're currently transitioning from a team perpetually threatened by relegation to a solid midtable team.

That said, a lot depends on the amount of investment in the summer. The owners may want to bypass that stage if they are able to.

I do have some concerns that if we go on an aggressive recruitment drive this summer we are going to have an influx of high quality players and a manager tasked with keeping it all together whilst acheiving on field success. Not sure Howe would be brilliant at that given his relatively low profile. Worse problems to have I know.

Howe deserves the opportunity to take the club forward and I'd be disappointed if he wasn't given it. 

11 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Aye. We need to be on the end of the top 6 at least. The best of the rest with West Ham, Leicester, Wolves.

Would people be upset if we binned off Howe for Poch early in the season if we don't make the start we hope for?

Impossible to say. It depends a bit on how you define "start" really. It also depends on how we play, not only the results, and how the transfer window goes.

If Howe gets good backing in the summer, but we open the season, say 10 first games, Bruce style both in terms of results and performances then I won't be upset. If we lose the first 2-3 matches  and he's sacked I'd be quite upset as he needs to be given time to bed new players into his system. If we're flirting with relegation spots after 5-6 games but we've been playing good football but been let down by individual mistakes and/or poor officiating I'd also want to give Howe more time.

Too many scenarios to give a definitive answer, but in general I want Howe to do well, and I hope he gets the opportunity to turn things around if results are below par.

6 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

To be honest, if we miss out on 10th by a point, but we hit say 55 points and we're no where near the relegation battle, that probably represents progress in the league. We're currently transitioning from a team perpetually threatened by relegation to a solid midtable team.

That said, a lot depends on the amount of investment in the summer. The owners may want to bypass that stage if they are able to.

Worth mentioning the the impact of the world cup next season. That could seriously distort the league. Will those teams with few players in Qatar/latter stages of the tournament have a big advantage? A real unknown.

18 minutes ago, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

I do have some concerns that if we go on an aggressive recruitment drive this summer we are going to have an influx of high quality players and a manager tasked with keeping it all together whilst acheiving on field success. Not sure Howe would be brilliant at that given his relatively low profile. Worse problems to have I know.

Howe deserves the opportunity to take the club forward and I'd be disappointed if he wasn't given it. 

I know it's mainly due to the delay in getting Ashworth (and subsequently his team) in place, but I do like that it looks like Howe will have a similar role in identifying transfer targets to the one he had in Jan. At least for this next window. I don't think we'll see any real big names, more well scouted and vetted players from across Europe in the style of Bruno. Think the only 'big name' type player could be a LIngard. Maybe a DCL if Everton go down. 

1 hour ago, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

That would only be an issue if the owners weren't fully behind Howe or the players had backchannels to the owners, similar to PSG and Chelsea. In our case, I reckon Staveley will be right behind Howe and will not stand for any disruption from the players. I'm also sure new players won't just be Howe's players but ones agreed by a number pf parties within the club so if a signing goes wrong, Howe will not be held solely responsible. 

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Aye. We need to be on the end of the top 6 at least. The best of the rest with West Ham, Leicester, Wolves.

:spit:

I say that because I think next season we want solid progress so that in 23/24 we go for the top 4/5. We’ll sign players that we think can go for that while transitioning out Ashley era players and seeing who can make that jump.  I don’t think they’ll be happy being 12/13 come in January. 

I look at Hughes to Mancini at City. Rodgers to Klopp at Liverpool.  Even Nuno to Conte at Spurs. All arguably harsh sackings but the leadership has identified and won over a manager proven to go where the club wanted to go and was the right decision. 

I genuinely think in 23/24 the owners will want CL places and will want us to have a team and management setup for us to achieve it. 

Ashworth seems the patient type. Don’t know about Staveley and PIF though. 

Edited by The College Dropout

12 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

They waited a fair while to buy the club, despite the obstacles put in their way, in fairness…

37 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I say that because I think next season we want solid progress so that in 23/24 we go for the top 4/5. We’ll sign players that we think can go for that while transitioning out Ashley era players and seeing who can make that jump.  I don’t think they’ll be happy being 12/13 come in January. 

I look at Hughes to Mancini at City. Rodgers to Klopp at Liverpool.  Even Nuno to Conte at Spurs. All arguably harsh sackings but the leadership has identified and won over a manager proven to go where the club wanted to go and was the right decision. 

I genuinely think in 23/24 the owners will want CL places and will want us to have a team and management setup for us to achieve it. 

I think looking at top 4 2 seasons from now is a big, big ask. So many variables to consider that I very much doubt leadership has identified ‘we want to finish in x position by x date’, I think it’s more likely they have a 5 year plan that has us near the top of the table by the end of it. Also we have no idea how investment will progress, we know how rich our owners are but that doesn’t necessarily translate into us spending massively every window (in keeping with FFP of course). Also comparisons to City, Liverpool or whoever else sacking a manager is a different kettle of fish from where we are right now. I don’t expect us to crack top 4 for at least 4/5 seasons (without a freak season of multiple top teams flopping) because there is far more chance we experience many bumps in the road before then, it’s going to be a long slog but we will get there.

Edited by Nine

53 minutes ago, Nine said:

I think looking at top 4 2 seasons from now is a big, big ask. So many variables to consider that I very much doubt leadership has identified ‘we want to finish in x position by x date’, I think it’s more likely they have a 5 year plan that has us near the top of the table by the end of it. Also we have no idea how investment will progress, we know how rich our owners are but that doesn’t necessarily translate into us spending massively every window (in keeping with FFP of course). Also comparisons to City, Liverpool or whoever else sacking a manager is a different kettle of fish from where we are right now. I don’t expect us to crack top 4 for at least 4/5 seasons (without a freak season of multiple top teams flopping) because there is far more chance we experience many bumps in the road before then, it’s going to be a long slog but we will get there.

I think we aim to be in the top 4 fight in 23/24. Not necessarily get 4th but be in the mix certainly. 

Next season we’ll look to finish 7/8th, there’s no reason Wolves, Leicester and co. to finish above us. We’ll look to sign as many Bruno G and Trippier level players that make sense. You assume 4-6 players. 

By 23/24, we’ll have had 3 windows of trying to sign CL worthy, top 4-6 worthy players. We should be knocking on the door of CL football. 

Man City finished 10th, 5th, 3rd.  We should look at 7/8, CL mix, getting CL. Otherwise we’ve failed.  

I also don’t think we can wait 4/5 years to challenge for CL. Earlier success means greater commercial opportunities.  We are going to bring in better players on bigger wages every window. If In4 years we aren’t in the CL FFP will be a big issue like Everton. We’ll have a dozen players on 100k+ within 3 years. We signed 2 while in a relegation fight… in January.  

also Ashley’s under investment is giving us a time bound opportunity to invest before having to get creative. But that won’t last forever.

Edited by The College Dropout

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Watch Staveleys interview when we were taken over?

We should go for top 4 next season.

"OMG, what have you just said!!!!".

What happened to ambition man? You don't aim for 8th or whatever. You aim for a real target, a golden egg if you will.

OK, so realistically it's going to be a tall order, we'd need an electric start and then further investment in January but it's possible given how much the current protagonists are trying to shoot themselves in the foot.

And just so we are clear, I don't expect us to finish top 4, I don't think we will finish top 4 nor do I think Eddie Howe should be in any sort of trouble if we don't.

I'm saying we need to have real targets and real aims. If it doesn't happen, c'est la vie. 

@The College Dropout I think Howe needs to be given all the time he wants. As long as we're progressing year after year, that's all we want, stable progression.

The time for the short-term manager was after Bruce, and I thought they'd got it wrong with Howe. I hate Gerard, but even I advocated for him only on the basis he would attract names that may help keep us up with their quality. He went to Villa, and got Coutinho and Digne (captain hindsight is wonderful, but at the time when we were linked we were all pretty pumped) etc. Of course there's an argument to be had as to whether they would have come to us with our league position at the time, but you cannot deny that Gerard has/had more pull than Eddie Howe on foreign transfers.

Now, that's all water under the bridge, Howe's done the impossible in getting us to the top half, been part of a recruitment team that's somehow managed to Bruno in, and is playing (mostly) very good football. We've not only plugged the short-term gap problem to keep us up, we've also got the longer term solution right here, right now. I've read a lot on Eddie Howe since he's joined, and those posts from @WillDanceForChocolate was just the icing on the cake for me in terms of firmly believing we need to hand the keys to the club to this man, like were prepared to do with Rafa.

The owners are new to football, and I doubt they'd be so ready to chop and change if we go through a muddy period, having now been captured in those (in)famous dressing room photos with Howe, his staff and the players. The stage is set, we need to stop thinking about 'what about after Howe', and 'the next step', and just get behind someone who I firmly believe has all the tools to be as successful with this club as anyone we've ever had in the modern era.

Think the advantage he has is that he’s literally starting from the bottom so think the fans & board will accept a top 8 challenge next season, aiming for top 6 the year after, etc and he’s capable of that imo. Interesting to see if he can break the top 4 but he has the attributes.

I'm not overly concerned about the positions, obviously we should never criticise or downplay anyone wanting to aim as high as possible, ambition should never be a negative 

What I'd like to see is a minimum of 3 (4 including Targett) first team players, that alone should mean the minimum expectation is that relegation battle is off the table.

As to the exact position, there's so many variables but it would be good if we can improve on wherever we end up finishing this season.

Prediction: We get off to an absolute flyer, perhaps even spend a week or two at the top of the table. Momentum will be good and we will get a couple of decent scalps, we might even get to November in the top 4, similar to what West Ham did.

Eventually, injuries and our inability to beat enough of the top 6 clubs will see us gently slide down the table and we end up 6/7th. That would be an Epic season.

Any European football the following year would be an absolute dream.

12 minutes ago, Bondedcrown said:

Watch Staveleys interview when we were taken over?

“There is no reason why Newcastle in the next five years should not be a Man City or a Man United or a Liverpoolor a Chelsea,” Ghodoussi says.

That’s not milling about in midtable for another 2 years. 

10 minutes ago, HawK said:

@The College Dropout I think Howe needs to be given all the time he wants. As long as we're progressing year after year, that's all we want, stable progression.

That’s not how business works. 

If Howe, the transfer committee or whoever don’t look poised for a CL battle the following season. Heads will roll imo.  

Wrongly, I think the Villa hierarchy thought the same of Smith. Rodgers and Hughes too. That’s what ambitious leadership will do.  

It's unbelievable some people mentioning getting rid of him if we have a bad start, the guys done amazing since he came in ffs. 

Surely he has to be given a few years to try and create a team that will be looking to push into top 4.

Next few years isn't going to be easy with other clubs also looking to bridge the gap between Liverpool and City and we have alot further to go. 

Definitely need to calm down and hopefully next year we can have a season of good football with no relegation worries and then push on season by season.

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

“There is no reason why Newcastle in the next five years should not be a Man City or a Man United or a Liverpoolor a Chelsea,” Ghodoussi says.

That’s not milling about in midtable for another 2 years. 

That’s not how business works. 

If Howe, the transfer committee or whoever don’t look poised for a CL battle the following season. Heads will roll imo.  

Wrongly, I think the Villa hierarchy thought the same of Smith. Rodgers and Hughes too. That’s what ambitious leadership will do.  

I think you're misquoting me there to be honest. Progression doesn't mean that does it?

If we finish where we are now, which is 9th, and then next year 7-8th, following year 5-6th I think that's absolutely acceptable by any measure, by anyone.