Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

1 minute ago, St. Maximin said:

Would Howe improve the defence? They looked shambolic in his last season but maybe that’s harsh given what he achieved before. 

I think almost any manager could improve our defence.

16 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Can't make a decision on sacking Bruce but think we can get Simeone in. 😂

Laughable link.

If the decision is to keep him until another manager is confirmed, as reported in a few places, they can and have made the decision.

Edited by Dr Venkman

7 hours ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

We don’t need the manager who’ll win our first Champions League, we just need to pick up 38 points or so by the summer. As long as I don’t despise them as people (Allardyce, Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney) I’d be alright with most people. 

You despise Lampard and Gerrard? 😁 I always find that hilarious.

Just now, Shadow Puppets said:

You despise Lampard and Gerrard? 😁 I always find that hilarious.

Yeah Lampard is a posh boy but doesn't really run his mouth or anything and Gerrard always carries himself well. Incomparable to someone like Allardyce.

Guest neesy111
46 minutes ago, Mikky said:

I can see why Simeones is complicated - blokes on 35m a year and has a comfy job 

He's not on that now, took a huge paycut with covid.

If its really come down to Gerrard or Emery and we get Gerrard that would be a let down. I'd support him though, just think we need someone that's more experienced. We'll also have to deal with the media being an absolute pain in the arse all over again, like they have been with Bruce.

5 minutes ago, KaKa said:

If its really come down to Gerrard or Emery and we get Gerrard that would be a let down. I'd support him though, just think we need someone that's more experienced. We'll also have to deal with the media being an absolute pain in the arse all over again, like they have been with Bruce.

Gerard would bring professionalism, organisation, respect, character and leadership and I imagine the players would lap him and his coaching team up, long-term I’m not so sure, but then we cross that bridge when we get to it. Emery would be a fantastic appointment short to medium and maybe even long-term.

Edited by HTT II

10 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

He's not on that now, took a huge paycut with covid.

If I was Man Utd or Arsenal or even Spurs I’d break the bank for him.

1 minute ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Gerrard won't come imo.

I think were struggling like and we've been turned down by multiple managers, which is actually understandable.

Either that, or we haven't made a move for any yet, which would be a lot more worrying. 

I think he would in a heart beat if actually offered the job.

Edited by HTT II

2 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Gerrard won't come imo.

I think were struggling like and we've been turned down by multiple managers, which is actually understandable.

Either that, or we haven't made a move for any yet, which would be a lot more worrying. 

He would like.

I think Gerrard would be tempted but he does seem to love the job up here. Think he wanted a crack at the CL with Rangers, and that's gone. Whether he fancies another season of the SPL is another thing. From what I've seen of Rangers, they've improved massively under him. I don't think it would be a horrible choice, and they have pulled off some excellent results abroad. He's an extremely demanding coach and you'll see those who aren't pulling their weight sent packing. 

I’d be warm to the idea of Gerrard having done a bit of research on his methods, their coaching set up and listening to a few Rangers fans I personally know (who also follow the Toon, although one says his Rangers side would get battered off say Norwich). He wouldn’t take any shit from the players or media, he’d have them in training every day and in terms of leadership and direction, he was pretty much Rafa’s number 2 out on the pitch for Liverpool. Even Rafa himself said with him in the team, it made it much easier for him as he effectively had him managing the team on the pitch for him. To do what he has done at Ranges despite the poor standard and lack of real competition even in Celtic recently, he has galvanised a whole club that was in crisis with an average team for that level into unbeaten Champions who have had a few good results in Europe and that takes some skill and mettle in a City like Glasgow in his first job.

Edited by HTT II

Emery of course has a proven track record, has experience of this league and I thought was unfairly dismissed at Arsenal, even the media delighted in taking the piss out of him which shows their anti foreign prejudices. He’s more akin to Rafa, well organised teams, tactically astute, high energy and pragmatic in attack. Like with Rafa, once he identifies the players he needs and gets them in attack, his sides become more expansive and more attacking. Our weakest area is in defence right now and he’d be more than capable of sorting that out. Ironically our strength under Rafa was our defence which once we got Almiron and Rondon in especially, allowed us to be more attacking which was based on the solid foundations of a strong defence. 

Edited by HTT II

7 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I’d be warm to the idea of Gerrard having done a bit of research on his methods, their coaching set up and listening to a few Rangers fans I personally know (who also follow the Toon, although one says his Rangers side would get battered off say Norwich). He wouldn’t take any shit from the players or media, he’d have them in training every day and in terms of leadership and direction, he was pretty much Rafa’s number 2 out on the pitch for Liverpool. Even Rafa himself said with him in the team, it made it much easier for him as he effectively had him managing the team on the pitch for him. To do what he has done at Ranges despite the poor standard and lack of real competition even in Celtic recently, he has galvanised a whole club that was in crisis with an average team for that level into unbeaten Champions who have had a few good results in Europe and that takes some skill and mettle in a City like Glasgow in his first job.

Agree with most of this (especially the leadership/training angle), but there are also some worries about his time at Rangers. 1. Celtic were worse than shite last season so the league title needs to be seen in that context and 2. He really should have made it a treble as well. Couple of really shit displays in the cup when Celtic were nowhere to be seen. 

I'd rather someone else, but he's also clearly a lot better than Bruce.

Even if you liked the idea of Steven Gerrard, every time we win we'd have to put up with that tedious narrative about him going to Liverpool. 

I think he always comes across in a really annoying way whenever I've seen him in the media. "I'm a disciplinarian, you know." Yeah, alright, you're not afraid to slag off your players/anyone else in the media, good on you, change the record. 

But then you can't deny his achievements there and it would be exciting to appoint a younger and more up-and-coming manager. Would be a satisfying tonic to what we've dealt with the last two and a bit years. 

10 minutes ago, alijmitchell said:

Agree with most of this (especially the leadership/training angle), but there are also some worries about his time at Rangers. 1. Celtic were worse than shite last season so the league title needs to be seen in that context and 2. He really should have made it a treble as well. Couple of really shit displays in the cup when Celtic were nowhere to be seen. 

I'd rather someone else, but he's also clearly a lot better than Bruce.

Short-term, he’ll be coming into a club in crisis just like Rangers were and yes winning the SPL isn’t exactly a stellar achievement, but the manner in which they did, where they had come from before they did and this being his first job with unbelievable pressure shows he has at least something about him and overall suggests he has done nothing other than a brilliant job there. 

Just now, RodneyCisse said:

The whole of twitter seem to be pushing Howe now, massive jump on Bruce.

Its who we were all happy with pre takeover as an option and with some backing in January we’ll easy push up and out of the relegation zone.

I think he would be an awful appointment personally and could still see us going down.