Eddie Howe

InspectorCoarse

3 minutes ago, steve_69 said:

The playing squad isn't anywhere near as bad as people are making out.  We finished 12th last season.
Half of the players have just been Bruce'd and any manager worth anything will know they can turn this around with a bit of decent coaching. Anyone who thinks they can't should be resigned to the same bin as Bruce.

Definitely hard to gauge, but the midfield area is a real concern, as are full backs. I think what I'm trying to say is that for anyone looking in, it looks quite a big risk to take the job on. Obviously, anyone that doesn't fancy it based on that, we wouldn't want anyway, but what I'm trying to say is that the job may not be as appetising as we think.

4 minutes ago, TRon said:

Yep, having largely immobile central midfielders limits your options quite a bit tactically, not really sure we can do much with our current crop other than sit deep in order to hide that deficiency. 

They aren't immobile, many of the stats have them very mobile but it's pointless if they are chasing instead blocking. Shelvey could run further and faster and it would count for nowt as he can't read a game defensively, Hayden has always hid save for a spell of 6 games or so and Longstaff has a good shot from 25yds and has shown little else si ce his first couple of games including his last few games under Rafa.

3 minutes ago, madras said:

I don't see how, it's not just legs, it's brain. A player can run all day but if he can't read the game defensively he'll always be chasing. It's what we've done for ages when we basically had 2 centre midfielders on the centre halves toes and relying on 2 or 3 to break.  Bruce's main issue imo was to try and please the fans by playing more open which with our midfield just means more gaps.

True. But I think there’s more of an issue around the lack of tactical awareness, organisation and generally just adapting to the opposition. If you look back at Sunday, we all know that the Spurs left back loves to fly forward and he was terrorising Manquillo. Instead of trying to counteract that by getting someone to drop in and help out, we just let it happen time and time again. I know that you can’t just set up a team to nullify every threat, but in our current position, you would have thought that trying to stop a better team exploiting us so easily would have been something to either prepare or react to during the game.

28 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Much rather Gerrard over Howe. Howe has shown nothing. Think people underestimate Gerrards achievement in getting rangers competitive again. Howe just spent loads of money and when things took a dip for the 1st time relegated a team which was all his doing. No chance he keeps this lot up, not with his wife whinging on either from the south coast or her rented house up here.

Would 100% get behind Howe if he did come in but would much rather a manager that can control his wife.

22 minutes ago, nufcnick said:

TBH is Howe is getting mentioned, you can pretty much guarantee it won’t be him, as the club now seem to have their cards close to their chests 

Yeah, that Betfair tweet reeks of a betting scam.

30 minutes ago, Menace said:

So has Dyche for Burnley, and Nigel Adkins for Southampton, what's your point? I wouldn't want any of those 3 near this club.

Burnley and Southampton are/were much bigger clubs than Bournemouth

Bournemouth still had a wage bill of £100m plus and were signing players for decent transfer fees. It doesn't really matter the 'size' of the club. That said, I would take Howe. Its a bad job at the moment for the reasons others have mentioned. I highly doubt we'd be able to attract our long term manager now, under our ideal club structure. We're heading down at the moment.

6 minutes ago, andyc35i said:

True. But I think there’s more of an issue around the lack of tactical awareness, organisation and generally just adapting to the opposition. If you look back at Sunday, we all know that the Spurs left back loves to fly forward and he was terrorising Manquillo. Instead of trying to counteract that by getting someone to drop in and help out, we just let it happen time and time again. I know that you can’t just set up a team to nullify every threat, but in our current position, you would have thought that trying to stop a better team exploiting us so easily would have been something to either prepare or react to during the game.

I saw the bigger issue was their forwards and midfielders finding gaps between our midfield and defence right across and not wanting to drop back because that would invite them on even more.

26 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

We really should be spending as little as possible and keep it for a summer rebuild.

Depends where we are in the league come Jan 1st. Considering we’ve had our easier fixtures already and have a tough November and December ahead we could be rooted firmly to the bottom of the division. 

In an ideal world the rumour is £50m plus anything that’s worth pushing the bought out for. However if they want to avoid the drop their hands might be forced to spend far bigger.

13 minutes ago, gdm said:

It’s here now too

Ah, interesting. They might have just picked that up from the Betfair tweet, but let's see.

The one thing that makes me a bit nervous about Howe is some of the signings he made at Bournemouth. 

Solanke for big money was the main one, although he's just now seemingly beginning to find his feet with them.

Edited by KaKa

7 minutes ago, gdm said:

It’s here now too

Does that mean he'll be living in a hotel and flying back to the south coast during breaks?

I'm assuming his wife will stay behind with Kaka looking on approvingly. 

Howe is definitely meh but much less meh than Bruce so I'm in.

In all seriousness, not the bloke to sort out the defensive issues but could give us a bump for a few games. Brentford, Norwich and Burnley back to back home games in Nov/early Dec. 7 points needed as a minimum in them.

Just now, TRon said:

Does that mean he'll be living in a hotel and flying back to the south coast during breaks?

I'm assuming his wife will stay behind with Kaka looking on approvingly. 

Could work out for both parties if he's on a short term contract for the season to see if it works and he settles.

All we need is someone to keep us up this season, Howe could be ideal. Don't think too much about the longer term project.

The bigger more household name managers will come, when we are established at this level.

Edited by Klaus

10 minutes ago, Collage said:

I’d welcome Howe with open arms.

The reality is that it would be a huge upgrade on our current predicament. Slight worry that if this is true, it's a bit of a rush job and more of a move to stay up with a premier league experienced manager, rather than really go for the best man we can get.

Thing about Howe is he could easily go on to be another Brendan Rodgers type as he does have that kind of talent about him I believe, and so maybe he does come in and really excels and grows into the role. I'd be cool with it ultimately. Except for the wife bit.

Edited by KaKa