Paulo Fonseca

Fantail Breeze

1 hour ago, Manxst said:

Signs would certain point to him being a shoe in, but I’m not sure it’s done and dusted just yet. (Plus I’m holding out hope for Ten Hag). 

Ten hag isn’t even in the running man 

a switch to a possession-based game would be a wild fucking choice at this point mind

as someone has said we've spent 2 years ceding possession and lamping it upfield whenever we get it hoping a couple of players can make something happen, it's very hard to see how you switch from that to keeping the ball very easily especially with what we have in midfield

if they do go for him you would imagine a ball-playing CM would be a priority in the window, someone who can do what jorginho does or whatever; take it, don't lose it, and keep it moving

5 minutes ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

a switch to a possession-based game would be a wild fucking choice at this point mind

as someone has said we've spent 2 years ceding possession and lamping it upfield whenever we get it hoping a couple of players can make something happen, it's very hard to see how you switch from that to keeping the ball very easily especially with what we have in midfield

if they do go for him you would imagine a ball-playing CM would be a priority in the window, someone who can do what jorginho does or whatever; take it, don't lose it, and keep it moving

yes, please! Oh the tears of joy watching a newcastle midfielder on the ball not have a fit when an opposition player is within 5m of him. Actually stay calm, emerge with the ball having dropped a shoulder and played it into the half spaces? Too lush 

I just want this. I don’t need to win the league. Just mature possession and a cup run and I’m satisfied. 

well actually I want to win everything. But still, I’d be overjoyed before winning anything if we played properly

Edited by greydos

1 minute ago, kisearch said:

I can't see how this can possibly work with the current players in the squad like :lol: Seems incredibly, needlessly risky 

Agreed.  I mean Longstaff did well under Rafa with Hayden next to him so there's hope there but it took Rafa almost 3 years to get everyone to the point of the system as a whole working. Incredibly risky if that's indeed what happens.

Guest reefatoon
4 minutes ago, kisearch said:

I can't see how this can possibly work with the current players in the squad like :lol: Seems incredibly, needlessly risky 

I think the lift alone of being coached and trained correctly will carry us through. I honestly think we will see a massively different team.

So are people suggesting we get a manager more like Bruce but slightly better in order to make the players comfortable because that is what they have been used to?! Please help me understand because this narrative is terrifying me.

Just now, KaKa said:

So are people suggesting we get a manager more like Bruce but slightly better in order to make the players comfortable because that is what they have been used to?! Please help me understand because this narrative is terrifying me.

I look forward to them being out of their comfort zone. Comfy Slippers off boys, now put some fucking graft in and earn the right to wear the shirt or do one! 

Why did I watch Sky's panel show. Apparently none of the names mentioned are good enough to get us to midtable and we need at least eight players to do that.

Did they miss this side finishing midtable last time out? Put it this way of Bruce can do it, anyone on the shortlist certainly can.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

You can't make a fish fly. The players are mediocre, they can't be expected to successfully play a style of football that requires traits they don't possess.

We can't sign anyone for months, and we desperately need points now. So whoever comes in needs to be able to get a tune out of the squad we have.

Guest reefatoon
Just now, The Prophet said:

Why did I watch Sky's panel show. Apparently none of the names mentioned are good enough to get us to midtable and we need at least eight players to do that.

Did they miss this side finishing midtable last time out? Put it this way of Bruce can do it, anyone on the shortlist certainly can.

It's amazing how full on the hatred is getting now. Such biased nonsense being spouted at every little thing.

7 hours ago, GWN said:

In our situation we need to defend before we attack .

We have been trying to doing that for the last 2 years and look where that got us! With a proper manager, we will concede less by default.  Bruce was not a coach or manager so all the players have regressed and most importantly have not been coached or had any tactical input.

Foncesca might have a forward thinking approach but in the short term, I am sure he would be looking to address the key frailties - poor defending, poor attack (which is just as poor) and the general condition and fitness of the whole squad!!  His philosophy will take time to embed. 

The guy is on a different planet compared to Bruce. 

Edited by Dan Gleebals

Just now, Chicane said:

You can't make a fish fly. The players are mediocre, they can't be expected to successfully play a style of football that requires traits they don't possess.

We can't sign anyone for months, and we desperately need points now. So whoever comes in needs to be able to get a tune out of the squad we have.

Literally every team in the division use the ball far better than we do and we certainly do not have the worse players than all of them.

We need to improve in that area to get results. I doubt he's going to come in expecting the team to be Pep's Barcelona, but improvements will be made in that are and it will benefit us in scoring goals as well as taking pressure of the defence.

I don't really get it. Every lesser team in the league punching above their weight use the ball well and is therefore more of a threat against every team they go up against. We're badly getting left behind in this area, which is why we are struggling so much.

7 minutes ago, POOT 2.0 said:

He will massively improve the squad up to January. It'll not be as hard as some make out, because they just need a plan and good instruction. We'll get to around 15th (because of the hard teams we've got). 

Then, come January, he'll buy in an impressive bunch of new players, finish 11th or 12th, and the media will say how he's no better than Bruce. 

If we finish 12th, someone will do another one of those "comparison charts" like they just did for Bruce and Rafa, nailed on. "12th in league 2020 - Inept cabbage heed. 12th in league 2021 after spending 100million in January - HERO". 

Guest neesy111
3 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

It's amazing how full on the hatred is getting now. Such biased nonsense being spouted at every little thing.

No one is going on about his results.

7 wins in 38 league games FFS.  Most if not all managers would be sacked at similar clubs to ours with they record.

Wilson, Fraser, Almiron, ASM, Willock, Hayden, Lewis, Manquillo, Schar and Fernandez are 10 first team players that have had loads of experience in teams that use the ball far better. I'm sure we can be far better than what we have shown under Bruce.

We really just need enough of an improvement to beat the lesser to medium teams in the league more often and we'll be fine this season.