Transfer rumours

Yorkie

I actually think it’s the most talented Newcastle Utd squad since promotion certainly the most expensive.

And with Bruce smartly deciding to live off Rafa’s well drilled back 3/5 I don’t see us conceding huge amounts IF he keeps it.

The biggest issue I think he’ll face is fans screaming for Joelinton, Saint-Maximin, Almiron to all start.

He has said he’ll be attacking but his 3-5-2 will mean we’re playing with 1 less forward than under Rafa Benitez.

I think we’ll see a backlash to his attacking comments the more we see him leave one of Joelinton, Saint-Maximin, Almiron out every week.

I expect his attacking comments will come to bite him if fans keep seeing him not play the mythical new front 3.

Well drilled or not Rafa's team started defending from the front and the midfield role was perhaps most important in protecting the back line. Any more adventure to attack and you'll see the back increasingly over exposed.

I agree defensive we won’t be as good but with keeping the well drilled back 3/5 of Rafa Benitez we’ll at least not conceded loads.

I think Shelvey has learnt enough defensively from Rafa to play this quarterback role that Bruce has given him too.

We’ll also have both Longstaff & Hayden in midfield too winning the ball back.

My main concern is actually going forward.

Aarons

Saivet

Manquillo

Colback

Gayle

Murphy

Atsu

Elliot

Darlow

Muto?

That's 9, possibly 10 players that aren't good enough at this level and i've probably missed some off. Our entire first team back up is s**** so if we get some injuries we're screwed.

Our new front line admittedly looks exciting but it could just as easily flop as succeed. We relied on the unproven but highly-rated Mitrovic to score our goals a few seasons ago and it cost us our place in the Premier League.

Unnecessary gamble by Fat Mike and Thumbhead as usual. f***ing idiots!

Make that comparison for teams you'd consider will be bottom 10 or so and get back to me m8.

Re point two, in a 5 man midfield there's nothing to say Almiron or St. Max couldn't fill a berth, especially against more vulnerable teams.

I don’t think he’ll do that that will be the issue.

It will be Joelinton upfront and Saint-Maximin & Almiron taking turns to partner him.

With all the mythical talk of the new exciting front 3 and attacking approach he’s promised I think fans will be angry when they see him refuse to play the front 3 together.

When has Bruce ever delivered on his managerial words though.....

I hate that 'quarterback' role. It's just hipster hoofball, play a proper midfield.  :tickedoff:

It's just a fancy word, it's the sitting/holding midfielder of the central midfield 3, call it whatever but that's the reality imo.

If Shelvey can defend and sniff out the dangerous attacks, then he'd be very effective with his long passing range in that position when we win possession back to counter. It's the defensive discipline and know how part that i seriously doubt Shelvey will have. A bit like when Beckham thought he could do the same job for England.

If it wasn't a Bruce-managed side, you could very easily say that this is a better team, talent-wise, than the one we started last season with. Despite his lack of tactical nous, I imagine a back 3 who've had at least a year or so of Rafa drilling them defensively coupled with Bruce's naive high-pressing style; we should, at the very least, see some more entertaining* football as well. I  reckon we'll stay up.

* In the "I'd rather see us lose 4-3 than win 1-0" sense.

Aarons

Saivet

Manquillo

Colback

Gayle

Murphy

Atsu

Elliot

Darlow

Muto?

That's 9, possibly 10 players that aren't good enough at this level and i've probably missed some off. Our entire first team back up is s**** so if we get some injuries we're screwed.

Our new front line admittedly looks exciting but it could just as easily flop as succeed. We relied on the unproven but highly-rated Mitrovic to score our goals a few seasons ago and it cost us our place in the Premier League.

Make that comparison for teams you'd consider will be bottom 10 or so and get back to me m8.

Yeah, i take your point but i'd also argue that those other teams in the bottom 10 have better managers than we do so the playing field is somewhat levelled.

Some of the players on that list are capable of doing a job as Rafa proved, but he's a world class manager. I can't see Bruce getting a tune out of our more talented players, let alone anyone on that list?

Aarons

Saivet

Manquillo

Colback

Gayle

Murphy

Atsu

Elliot

Darlow

Muto?

Yeah, i take your point but i'd also argue that those other teams in the bottom 10 have better managers than we do so the playing field is somewhat levelled.

Some of the players on that list are capable of doing a job as Rafa proved, but he's a world class manager. I can't see Bruce getting a tune out of our more talented players, let alone anyone on that list?

Aye that's the exact same fucking point I made at the start in reply to people slating the playing squad.

And yet here we are 2 hours later.

Team v Tottenham          Possible Team v Arsenal

Dubravka                        Dubravka 

Yedlin                              Manquillo

Lascelles                        Schar

Clark                              Lascelles

Dummett                        Dummett

Ritchie                            Willems

Shelvey                          Shelvey

Diamé                              Hayden

Kenedy                            Longstaff

Pérez                              Almiron

Joselu                              Joelinton

Subs                                Subs

Ki Sung-yueng                Ki Sung-yueng

Schär                              Maximin

Rondón                            Fernández

Muto                                Muto

Manquillo                        Yedlin

Darlow                            Darlow

Atsu                                Atsu

A better line up, shitter manager  :undecided:

Patsy having his say:

With just two days left in the summer window after today, here’s Bruce on any more potential deals.

“I’m hoping that we can have a little bit of time. Whoever comes in was going to have difficult shoes to fill. I’ve said to the supporters give me a chance and judge me on what you see.  I hope I can give them something to shout about. I hope we are not finished (in the transfer market).”

Asked if more recruitment is dependent on players leaving, Bruce added:

“No. We are still hopeful that we have one or two things up our sleeve. We will know a little bit more in the next 24 hours. I would envisage we still have one or two bits still to do.”

Aarons

Saivet

Manquillo

Colback

Gayle

Murphy

Atsu

Elliot

Darlow

Muto?

Aye that's the exact same fucking point I made at the start in reply to people slating the playing squad.

And yet here we are 2 hours later.

I'm well confused here  :lol: I thought we were on different sides of this argument.

Bimpy474[/member] i assume Aarons gets into the 11 and Willems is on the bench over Yedlin? Is Atsu even fit?

I reckon you're right about Aarons starting as left wing back, Yedlin has only just starting training from injury and Atsu the same, just guessing with the subs and line up obviously.

If it wasn't a Bruce-managed side, you could very easily say that this is a better team, talent-wise, than the one we started last season with. Despite his lack of tactical nous, I imagine a back 3 who've had at least a year or so of Rafa drilling them defensively coupled with Bruce's naive high-pressing style; we should, at the very least, see some more entertaining* football as well. I  reckon we'll stay up.

* In the "I'd rather see us lose 4-3 than win 1-0" sense.

To say it's a better side talent-wise is a bit subjective though. Rafa didn't always go for the most talented individuals, he would look for players who would do what he wanted them to. Joselu over Mitrovic being an extreme example. That can have it's downsides obviously - again see Joselu :lol:  - but there is going to be the same disconnect with the coach and the scouts as to who comes in.

Great prospects is all very exciting, but they are useless if the manager thinks they won't fit his style of play.

I suppose that is the genius of hiring Bruce. He probably has no idea himself what the style of play will be.

I’d think any manager would fancy their chances tactically against Bruce whereas Rafa would always give a challenge regardless of players. I’d still say we’ve given up 2 proven players for a gamble that may or may not come off

So looks like we’re more or less finished? 30 m for Perez, 60 for asm, Joelinton = 30m net spend. Seems like we, have underspent again.

Don't forget we had £11m from last season, so i reckon it's only a £19m net spend, also bet your bollocks to a barn dance we didn't spend £40m on Joelinton.

So looks like we’re more or less finished? 30 m for Perez, 60 for asm, Joelinton = 30m net spend. Seems like we, have underspent again.

Don't forget we had £11m from last season, so i reckon it's only a £19m net spend, also bet your bollocks to a barn dance we didn't spend £40m on Joelinton.

ASM was only around £15m, and we got a few million for Joselu, so basically around £20m net spend. Thanks Mike.

What about sales from previus seasons like sissoko, aren't we still getting payments there? We probably spent naught...

This is the likely scenario still owed on Mitrovic and sissoko and a few others

We've spent fuck all again but the braindead sheep will not see it that way

When you go that deep it stops working though because to actually get a meaningful comparison you cant say "30 million for Perez" anymore because we wont have recieved 30 million for him this summer.

Wasn't Perez a release clause tho? So that one would be paid in full?

When you go that deep it stops working though because to actually get a meaningful comparison you cant say "30 million for Perez" anymore because we wont have recieved 30 million for him this summer.

Wasn't Perez a release clause tho? So that one would be paid in full?

No