Transfer rumours

Yorkie

How many of our centre-backs would you put in the top 6 clubs?

Probably none. Hard to say as others have mentioned we play a system that suits them. Maybe Schar and Lejeune could get in as backups. That’s not the point though, we will be limited by ffp. If a time comes when cb is our weakest position, we can go out and get one.

This is it, with FFP we will be limited as to what we can spend, the logical thing is to focus on your weakest areas and that is not at centre back

Think the FFP talk is a bit of a red herring. £150m is the figure being banded around and the doesnt take sales into account. Furthermore, the rules are likely to be relaxed and there will be alot more value in the market due to the current climate.

There is a huge amount going in our favour here.

Maybe it's the Ashley effect but does the £150m include wages?  :lol:

I don't think we'll generate that much from sales but let's say that becomes £180m to spend, I still think other areas of the squad are a priority that CB should be left until all of those are sorted

Whilst I like our set of CB's if we want to kick on there is always better, it's just a matter of focusing on the priority (central midfield, striker, full backs)

Probably none. Hard to say as others have mentioned we play a system that suits them. Maybe Schar and Lejeune could get in as backups. That’s not the point though, we will be limited by ffp. If a time comes when cb is our weakest position, we can go out and get one.

This is it, with FFP we will be limited as to what we can spend, the logical thing is to focus on your weakest areas and that is not at centre back

Think the FFP talk is a bit of a red herring. £150m is the figure being banded around and the doesnt take sales into account. Furthermore, the rules are likely to be relaxed and there will be alot more value in the market due to the current climate.

I'm with you - it really does seem to be a perfect storm for someone who wanted to bootstrap their club to the next level. Between clubs desperate for cashflow, a league desperate for transfer fees to wash around and players afraid the good times might be coming to an end - I think there's the prospect of player turnover well in excess of what many expect

Yep! Football's desperate for investment now more than ever. That shortfall in revenue needs recouping somehow, so capping it with FFP makes no sense at all on any levels. Should this takeover go through, this could be an unprecedented summer transfer window as we'd be one of only a handful of clubs who would have the means and resources to take advantage of it.

Having said all that, I'd prefer it if we'd build slowly but I'm not gonna complain either way.

Maybe it's the Ashley effect but does the £150m include wages?  :lol:

I don't think we'll generate that much from sales but let's say that becomes £180m to spend, I still think other areas of the squad are a priority that CB should be left until all of those are sorted

Whilst I like our set of CB's if we want to kick on there is always better, it's just a matter of focusing on the priority (central midfield, striker, full backs)

It probably does aye, but like I say i dont that figure wouldnt be reflective of the real figure which I think would be much higher in light of the current environment.

I'm gonna wait until the takeovers confirmed before I start playing fantasy football though.

Out of the current squad I'd keep the keeper, Schar,Lejeune and Fernandez the rest can go for me and of the entire squad id be surprised if anyone other than the keeper is still there 3 years after takeover

We still need Lascelles for me. He forms partnerships so easily.

Worst CB we have

What a load of shite. Only Schar and Lejeune could be considered to be better and I bet they wouldn't work as a pair.

I'm not having it that Dummett and Clark are better than him like, no fucking way.  :lol:

Rubbish, Lascelles is good, Rafa recognised that and drilled him well. The 3 man CBs work well as his technical limitations are made up for by those next to him and he clears up behind. He does have a mistake but he is also clearly a leader on and off the pitch. He does have variable form true and has had bad patches but I do rate him.

Out of the current squad I'd keep the keeper, Schar,Lejeune and Fernandez the rest can go for me and of the entire squad id be surprised if anyone other than the keeper is still there 3 years after takeover

Almiron? ASM? The Longstaffs (particularly Matty)? Also the Lascelles patter above I agree with.

Rubbish, Lascelles is good, Rafa recognised that and drilled him well. The 3 man CBs work well as his technical limitations are made up for by those next to him and he clears up behind. He does have a mistake but he is also clearly a leader on and off the pitch. He does have variable form true and has had bad patches but I do rate him.

Fake news.

Guest Carrick18

Lascelles is a touch flat-footed out of the gate and awkward looking on the ball, but the idea he's a bad centre-back or limited is unfair. At a more fashionable club he'd have had a nod for England by now.

Almiron? ASM? The Longstaffs (particularly Matty)? Also the Lascelles patter above I agree with.

If you think the longstaffs will be anywhere near the squad 3 years after these take over you're off you're rocker. 13 years of Ashley or people who've only ever seen these standard of players play for us have this ridiculous perception they are good when they are fucking bang average and nowhere near as good as what we had under keegan or bobby. We are going to be a team wanting to challenge for titles and in the champions league and you're talking about players like them for fucks sake

None of them players are even in the same league as the likes of Rob Lee,Gary Speed,Robert,Ginola,Solano,Gillespie,Dyer, etc etc

Would any get into a top 6 team the answer is no so the lot will be fucked off and better players will be bought and rightly so

I think all those players listed (Almiron, Lascelles, ASM, etc) are all fine if 8th-10th is the ambition. I just feel if we’re really going to be signing some of those mentioned that they’ll be left behind. They might do a job for 12-24 months while we transition but long-term they’d likely be backup only at best.

Guest Carrick18

The likes of Tarkowski & Dunk have earned call-ups so I don’t believe that.

Both have been considered as replacements for bigger club departures. No one is really looking at Lascelles. He was the best defender in the Championship the year we went up and that was with a hernia. He's been solid and reliable ever since.

Lampard and Terry were both part of a Chelsea squad before Abramovich arrived. It's wrong to suggest that there arent players in our squad that have a part to play post takeover. Rome wasn't built in a day, and we need a squad.

At the bare minimum, I'd keep these:

Dubravka, ASM, Almiron, Lascelles, Schar, Lejuene and the Longstaffs.

These days you need 5 centre halves minimum (if a manager plans on 3 at the back), so unless we plan on signing 4/5 straight off, we need to retain some.

On Lascelles, hes perfect for a defensive minded manager like Rafa, who will protect his defenders tactically by sitting deep and stifling the ball.

He would be hopeless in a open, passing, game. He hasnt got the pace to play a high line for a start.

That’s fine, but you also need the likes of Stones on top of that to push a level above.

Not sure on Stones specifically but yes, you buy better players and push the ones we have down the pecking order. If someone wants to buy one, you get your price and invest again.

Realistically, even with heavy investment, we need to prioritize positions.