Transfer rumours

Yorkie

Key is both Trippier and Botman want to join us. After that it is simply a matter of the fees. No chance Lille will be loaning to Milan if we place big money on the table in a worst case scenario. And we are not lacking in £.

Edited by LRD

I was just thinking how the players not wanting to join us doesn’t actually make much sense. 

If we were to buy say a botman then it’s basically a risk free move for him he would likely get a massive pay rise and if we were to get relegated he would have his pick of clubs due to a release clause.

To most players this is a great situation pay bump plus a signing on fee with another one to come if we are relegated?

5 minutes ago, LRD said:

Key is both Trippier and Botman want to join us. After that it is simply a matter of the fees. No chance Lille will be loaning to Milan if we place big money on the table in a worst case scenario. And we are not lacking in £.

Does Botman want to join us? Playing devil’s advocate, the only sources claiming this are the ones close to the club, rather than the player. Severely burned by the whole Emery thing where the false confidence of the club briefings showed us right up.

4 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

I was just thinking how the players not wanting to join us doesn’t actually make much sense. 

If we were to buy say a botman then it’s basically a risk free move for him he would likely get a massive pay rise and if we were to get relegated he would have his pick of clubs due to a release clause.

To most players this is a great situation pay bump plus a signing on fee with another one to come if we are relegated?

He’s giving up the opportunity to impress in a last 16 Champions League tie and the opportunity to showcase partnering Van Dijk at the WC - De Vrij currently is his CB partner - for a very risky move to us. Can understand why he needs time to think and why joining a Scudetto chasing Milan team would be more tempting.

This is the ball ache Charnley, Ashley et al have caused us. Any semblance of stability, even as a mid-table club, and he’d probably be here now ahead of a big push for Top 6 over the span of his contract.

Edited by Nucasol

5 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

He’s giving up the opportunity to impress in a last 16 Champions League tie and the opportunity to showcase partnering Van Dijk at the WC - De Vrij currently is his CB partner - for a very risky move to us. Can understand why he needs time to think and why joining a Scudetto chasing Milan team would be more tempting.

Those two are not the same. He is giving up the possibility of impressing with AC Milan. He is not giving up the chance of partnering with Van Dijk.  I agree that AC Milan would be more tempting, but you've conflated two ntirely separate things.

Edited by gazza ladra

5 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

This is the ball ache Charnley, Ashley et al have caused us. Any semblance of stability, even as a mid-table club, and he’d probably be here now ahead of a big push for Top 6 over the span of his contract.

So it either goes badly with us and he gets to move again in summer or it goes well. 

I doubt Lille will accept a loan for him or Milan could match the wages we could offer him. 

it should be understood that money is the decision making factor here, money talks bullshit walks. 

I could foresee him worrying that he wouldn't be able to shine in a shitty Newcastle team and thus risk getting the first choice slot in the Dutch team.  Would be easier for him to impress at Milan for a few years before getting a bigger move if wanted.

We are nowhere near an easy option for Botman and it is gonna be money that gets him here.

4 minutes ago, LRD said:

Botman's not even capped at senior level. They have far more senior CBs ahead of him. Doubt it will be a major factor.

Nathan Ake was ahead of him in the last squad and looks shaky as fuck. Definitely the chance to muscle his way in for the WC.

2 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Tomori, Kjaer & Romagnoli, where does Botman fit in that order? Sure Milan have a few of their own decent starlets knocking on the door as well.

Long term Kjaer replacement according to the chat in Italy. He’s 32 now, 33 in March.

I've not seen Botman play, but I'd be more confident about us signing experienced players. We're in a very pressured position in a highly pressured league. Centre back is also a position which requires a steady nerve, and we don't have the time to blood a player who needs a more gentle transition. All of this is asking a lot of a 21 year old. 

4 minutes ago, Cronky said:

I've not seen Botman play, but I'd be more confident about us signing experienced players. We're in a very pressured position in a highly pressured league. Centre back is also a position which requires a steady nerve, and we don't have the time to blood a player who needs a more gentle transition. All of this is asking a lot of a 21 year old. 

Our current options include Clark and Lascelles. I’ve never seen Botman play but I’ll be fairly confident in saying he’d be an upgrade on those two muppets regardless of his age