Transfer rumours

Yorkie

Need to clear the sludge from our squad.

Colback, Lazaar, Manquillo, Saivet and potentially Mitro and Mbemba, not that those two are sludge.

Aye, I think Gayle might be heading out as well. Tho he isn;t sludge either.

Premier League rules say any club with a  wage bill over £81m is only allowed to increase it by £7m in 18/19.

What's this wage bill thing like, do the clubs with a wage bill far exceeding £81m have to decrease theirs or is it just a pointless rule that will further separate the middle of the league from the top?

EDIT: Apparently it's not a new rule. Never heard of it before.

When West Ham have just dropped £22m on a centre-half, and we're scrabbling around thinking about maybe monitoring a player, you know we're fucked.

If we sign nobody, I think we'll do amazingly well to finish 17th. Let's not forget that loads of teams were absolutely shite last season, which contributed to us finishing tenth (with the lowest points total in premier league history for a team finishing tenth). Those teams will strengthen, Wolves may have the strongest promoted squad for a long time, and we'll be hoping that lightning strikes twice and we somehow avoid a relegation fight.

:lol: Dinna about fucked like. Have people just completely forgot how good we were since January like? Unbelievable. West Ham buying a £22m centre back doesn't make them automatically better than us, that's not how how football works. We were far superior to them last season and still have the same squad minus Kenedy. I think the off-season has made people forget just how good a tune Rafa gets out of our group of players, and how good he is at having us win the little tactical battles that go a long way in such a tight league.

I think it's a bit ridiculous to predict relegation for us on the evidence of last season tbh, we have one of the best managers in the league, man. The pessimism in here whilst partially understandable given our transfer history, is going way over the top at the moment imo.

Premier League rules say any club with a  wage bill over £81m is only allowed to increase it by £7m in 18/19.

What's this wage bill thing like, do the clubs with a wage bill far exceeding £81m have to decrease theirs or is it just a pointless rule that will further separate the middle of the league from the top?

EDIT: Apparently it's not a new rule. Never heard of it before.

Not sure the PL ruling has much merit in this instance, as surely our revenue has increased dramatically since "the last contract year" along with "player trading profit" being solid for the past 3 years, and either/both could be used as the rationale for a greater wage bill increase than £7m this summer?

The ruling seems to be a way to prevent Man City-esque spending, rather than stopping any club from increasing their wage bill significantly via more "legitimate" profit/loss means.

Either way, Sels, Sterry, Mbemba, Lazaar, Colback, Saivet, Aarons and Mitrovic should be on their way, while Gamez, Haidara and a bunch of the U23's have already departed. Would be delighted to see Manquillo added to this list, but unlike most of the rest he'd need replacing in the squad. Can't see it as a real issue, but it'd be another cracking excuse for Ashley not to spend.

I agree on many points, at the same time we were pretty lucky last season when it comes to injuries. (Replying to IC)

We also need to show a bit of ambition at least, the current players wont be as motivated as last season if we do nada.

Reckon we can fill the bore hole with around £45m? Outgoings that is.

Doubt it. Mitro will fetch us between £18m-£25m, about £8m for Mbemba and what's looking like around £12m for Merino going off reports despite that we should ask for more or just flat out not sell. We'll get next to nowt for the other players we need rid of.

Though getting rid of the likes of Colback et al will free up decent wages.

Doubt it. Mitro will fetch us between £18m-£25m, about £8m for Mbemba and what's looking like around £12m for Merino going off reports despite that we should ask for more or just flat out not sell. We'll get next to nowt for the other players we need rid of.

So, probably close to 45m then, if lucky. Well, probably doesn't matter...

So, probably close to 45m then, if lucky. Well, probably doesn't matter...

I've lost interest while the World Cup has been on tbh. Will be able to start fewmin about everything again after it's finished.

Why are we constantly being rumored to be after centre backs and central midfielders? It's a bit worrying.

Mbemba is leaving, we're going to be down to 3 CBs. Looks like Merino is on his way for whatever reason, we're going to be down to 3 CMs as well (not including Saivet & Colback).

Though getting rid of the likes of Colback et al will free up decent wages.

You've listed the fees in GBP when it's EUROs we've seen quoted for most of those players. €8m for Mbemba and €12m for Merino. £15m+ for Mitro.

I agree on many points, at the same time we were pretty lucky last season when it comes to injuries. (Replying to IC)

We also need to show a bit of ambition at least, the current players wont be as motivated as last season if we do nada.

Yeah fair point, we were quite lucky with injuries to big players. Although maybe we're just fitter than years gone by because of proper coaching. I don't know.

Either way we don't need to start pissing ourselves at every West Ham/Southampton rumoured signing just yet, we're in decent shape! We have much to be envied by the other teams imo :thup:

Guest NobbyOhNobby

When West Ham have just dropped £22m on a centre-half, and we're scrabbling around thinking about maybe monitoring a player, you know we're fucked.

If we sign nobody, I think we'll do amazingly well to finish 17th. Let's not forget that loads of teams were absolutely shite last season, which contributed to us finishing tenth (with the lowest points total in premier league history for a team finishing tenth). Those teams will strengthen, Wolves may have the strongest promoted squad for a long time, and we'll be hoping that lightning strikes twice and we somehow avoid a relegation fight.

:lol: Dinna about fucked like. Have people just completely forgot how good we were since January like? Unbelievable. West Ham buying a £22m centre back doesn't make them automatically better than us, that's not how how football works. We were far superior to them last season and still have the same squad minus Kenedy. I think the off-season has made people forget just how good a tune Rafa gets out of our group of players, and how good he is at having us win the little tactical battles that go a long way in such a tight league.

I think it's a bit ridiculous to predict relegation for us on the evidence of last season tbh, we have one of the best managers in the league, man. The pessimism in here whilst partially understandable given our transfer history, is going way over the top at the moment imo.

I didn't say we'll get relegated, I'm merely stating we played better than the sum of our parts whilst a large proportion of the league underperformed last season. We still have a broadly championship side whilst those around us are strengthening and are showing some ambition. Yes we did well in the second half of the season, and Rafa is fucking amazing, but the squad needs some quality desperately just to stand still. We're also relying on some players who have been extremely inconsistent over the duration of their careers - Shelvey, Yedlin, Diame, Ritchie, Perez etc. so history tells us that it may be remiss to expect them to maintain their post-xmas form.