The old days

Rich

Man Utd relentless run and our managers naive attitude lost it . I remember the goals Fenton scored against us at the Blackburn game hurting more than the 4-3 Liverpool game .

Tino made no difference imho , more good than bad .

On another memory look back the 2-3 seasons pre  Keegan as a player are a bit of a blur to me , could do with some re caps or pics?

I can remember stuff like …

Losing to Chester in the cup at home 

Sack the board 

Alan Shoulder 

Bukta

Wooden seats in the West Stand 

Season tickets were like a small raffle ticket book [emoji38]

The little refreshment hut in the “corner”

Racism chant were the norm :dave:

The daft fucker in the East stand with an Indian chant 

Being a kid and standing down the front of the Gallowgate

The pissy  smell of the bogs

The police station in the ground

Away fans marched from Manors

This kinda stuff  

Edited by GWN

3 hours ago, Rich said:

So bad it’s almost good, that :lol:

Used to like Overmars, and what a team he played in at Arsenal.

Don’t go off topic…

2 hours ago, GWN said:

On another memory look back the 2-3 seasons pre  Keegan as a player are a bit of a blur to me , could do with some re caps or pics?

Sack the board 

Alan Shoulder 

Bukta

This kinda stuff  

I could imagine the years between 1977-82 being pretty fucking grim tbh.

The last good moment before KK joined I imagine was the 76 cup final. Then SuperMC left, Lee and then Dinnis broke up the team and we seemed to languish in the doldrums.

I was watching the full highlights to the 1976 league cup final the other day. What an atmosphere, from both sets of fans. I just don’t think you’d ever get a noise like that these days in Wembley - not sure why though. Perhaps the shape of the stadium now and all seater stadiums?

Here’s the war cry

On that note. Watch the highlights here.

The interviews at the end are a much watch as well. Football really Hans changed a hell of a lot! Couldn’t imagine Joelinton being able to talk to the camera whilst getting his ete brow stitched back up [emoji38]

12 minutes ago, TheGuv said:

I could imagine the years between 1977-82 being pretty fucking grim tbh.

The last good moment before KK joined I imagine was the 76 cup final. Then SuperMC left, Lee and then Dinnis broke up the team and we seemed to languish in the doldrums.

I was watching the full highlights to the 1976 league cup final the other day. What an atmosphere, from both sets of fans. I just don’t think you’d ever get a noise like that these days in Wembley - not sure why though. Perhaps the shape of the stadium now and all seater stadiums?

Here’s the war cry

Aye that one [emoji38] I can still picture him now .

For me, I remember Clarke would play the ball forward quickly whenever he got in possession, setting us away time after time against defenders who were out of position. Batty would play it back and forth between himself and the fullbacks, instead of starting an attack.  By the time it went forward, defenders were set waiting for it.

Simplistic view maybe, and Batty’s approach was useful in games against better sides, but that was what changed our results from mid season, more than Asprilla joining.

15 hours ago, Lazarus said:

Keegans biggest failing was not upgrading our keeper.

As much as I loved Pav, I dont think he won many points, if any, for the team.

We started with Hislop and iirc he did ok but got injured and Pav came in, and when Hislop was available again Keegan decided to stick with Pav, not dropping him until after the Liverpool 4-3. If we'd had Schmeichel we'd have pissed it .

I remember swapping Panini stickers in a hut inside the Leazes End when I was little.

My Mam taking be into the Milburn Terrace at like 2pm so I could get a good spot at the fence to watch Gazza - my hero as a kid.

Collecting the Photograph Portraits of the players from the shit little club shop on the corner of Barrack Road.

The smell of hops from the Brewery, mixed with the hot dog steam coming from the burger vans.

The brick stairs and turnstiles up into the Stadium then the excitement of it all when you see the mighty Frank Pingle warming up.

Great Stuff.

The first and only time in my life when I loved a current Sunderland player. Alan Brown brilliant on his short loan with us, him and Varadi were fearsome together in that short spell. Always remember one of the best games I’ve seen at St James ever during that spell, against Luton (who won that league that year), won 3 - 2, Brown scored twice to put us 2 - 0 up, Luton scored twice in last ten minutes, before Varadi got a last minute winner. End to end all game, fabulous match.

Edited by et tu brute

20 hours ago, GWN said:

Sack the board 

Alan Shoulder 

Bukta

This kinda stuff  

Tommy the Bull with his white doctors jacket in the Gallowgate, standing on the terraces every game signing the ‘Little White Bull’ song with the crowd joining in [emoji38]

Edited by et tu brute

3 hours ago, et tu brute said:

Tommy the Bull with his white doctors jacket in the Gallowgate, standing on the terraces every game signing the ‘Little White Bull’ song with the crowd joining in [emoji38]

fucking hell yes I remember him

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone remember going to this game - 

My house, at the time, was about 1 mile away from the ground and I could here the cheers (from the Alex fans) as when the goals went in.

Must have been crazy in that away end, like sardines in a tin.

This was the 2nd leg, we won/lost 1-0.

Didn't actually go as it was a long drive on a tuesday night - and I had a banger of a car at the time.

Edited by South-Cheshire-Toon

7 minutes ago, South-Cheshire-Toon said:

Does anyone remember going to this game - 

My house, at the time, was about 1 mile away from the ground and I could here the cheers (from the Alex fans) as when the goals went in.

Must have been crazy in that away end, like sardines in a tin.

This was the 2nd leg, we won/lost 1-0.

Didn't actually go as it was a long drive on a tuesday night - and I had a banger of a car at the time.

I was at Gresty that night. 3-0 down after half an hour to Crewe was possibly as low as we've been but hilarious at the same time. Went to Sandbach afterwards for a drink and all the pubs were jumping for some reason on a school night.