How would you rank the current PL Managers?

12 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

These managers are in a higher category than Howe apparently :lol:

Just my opinion. Howe is an average manager in the league.

I am not going to put them in order but Rob Edwards always gets underrated.

He took Forest Green Rovers to League One for the first time in their history playing a great style of attacking football with wingbacks and two up top, he then got sacked by Watford after a few games before joining their rivals and gaining promotion which nobody expected, he now has a chance of keeping them in the Premier League despite spending hardly any money adding to what was an already average Championship squad.

What I like is his sides keep going to the final whistle, despite the obvious quality in players on the pitch. It would be interesting to see how many times they have picked up points late.

If he hadn’t represented Wales at International level I would have him down as a future England manager.

11 minutes ago, TRC said:

Just my opinion. Howe is an average manager in the league.

Genuinely interested, what has Howe done that O'Neil has that ranks him higher?

Howe got Bournemouth from League 2 to keeping them in the league for 5 years, and then got a team from Relegation certainties to Champions League in a season and a half. O'Neil has two mid-tables finishes.

1 Eddie 

2 Edwards 

3 Emery

4 Pep

5 De Zerbi 

6 Silva

7 O’Neil

8 Ange

9 Iraola

10 Moyes

11 Frank

12 Dyche

13 Nuno

14 Klopp

15 ten Hag

16 Arteta

17 Glasner 

18 Pochettino

19 Wilder

20 Kompany

Edited by Joelinton7

Just now, 54 said:

Genuinely interested, what has Howe done that O'Neil has that ranks him higher?

Howe got Bournemouth from League 2 to keeping them in the league for 5 years, and then got a team from Relegation certainties to Champions League in a season and a half. O'Neil has two mid-tables finishes.

I'm factoring in PL level managers, I'm not taking into account lower leagues. I dont watch lower leagues and Howe got Bournemouth promoted 13 years ago, so I can't judge him on that. Game has moved on and I'm judging on current ability only.

I do feel people are underating Marco Silva though, very good tactically and gives the big teams a tough game.

Genuinely curious for those ranking Ange beneath Howe -- what would Ange need to be doing differently/achieving in order to surpass EH? One could make the case Ange is a top 3 manager with Spurs likely to get CL football after losing 30+ goal contributions in Kane and their underwhelming 22/23

People are massively underrating Pochettino. The job at Chelsea is an absolute nightmare and there are some genuine signs that he’s offering stability. If he gets sacked then they’re totally fucked 

I think it's impossible to make any fair judgements on Ange, O'Neil, Iraola, Edwards, Glasner and Kompany. Arguably even Ten Hag. All of them are either new to the league or quite new to management; in some cases both. Certainly absolutely zero evidence to suggest any of them are more talented than Howe.

I feel like you basically have to have zero fundamental weaknesses to manage at this level and the talent across the board is generally very high.

21 minutes ago, Upthemags said:

Genuinely curious for those ranking Ange beneath Howe -- what would Ange need to be doing differently/achieving in order to surpass EH? One could make the case Ange is a top 3 manager with Spurs likely to get CL football after losing 30+ goal contributions in Kane and their underwhelming 22/23

Spurs spent a ton in the summer and are 5th.

Spurs are exactly where they should be. Maybe 1 place lower than they should be. They have no European football. They were awful last season and got 60 points. Genuinely toxic environment. I expected them to get 66-67 points this season at a minimum.

I like his style of play mind and I ranked them the same. If Spurs were in the running for the title I would've given him an A.

I have a feeling his ceiling will be higher than Howe's. His style relies on ballers being brave on the ball. The better skilled the player, the better and more effective the football. Too early to have a firm conclusion on that. And I don't know what he's like with the players, motivation, picking favourites, making coaching and tactical adjustments etc.

17 minutes ago, gbandit said:

People are massively underrating Pochettino. The job at Chelsea is an absolute nightmare and there are some genuine signs that he’s offering stability. If he gets sacked then they’re totally fucked 

TBH he's done a horrendous job there.

30 minutes ago, Froggy said:

Aye I'm not sure what Bandit sees with Poch. Chelsea have been average at best lately. 

A cup final and cup semi final possible 2nd final is hardly average. Can’t judge his league work until end of season but i think he’s doing well after having so many players to manage from day one. 

23 minutes ago, LFEE said:

A cup final and cup semi final possible 2nd final is hardly average. Can’t judge his league work until end of season but i think he’s doing well after having so many players to manage from day one. 

League Cup:
AFC Wimbledon (H)

Brighton (H)

Blackburn (H)

Newcastle (H)

Middlesbrough 2 legs

Liverpool - LOST.

A weak Newcastle. And the weakest Liverpool in some time personnel wise. 

Similar story in the FA Cup. Beat Villa at H I think.

They've had easy run-ins.

48 minutes ago, LFEE said:

That's fair enough, but Ten Hag has had ridiculous injuries all season, could still finish top four and there's a chance of silverware as well. So why is Poch four above him? It's the inconsistency that grills me. 

I do think Poch is overrated mind.

15 minutes ago, Froggy said:

That's fair enough, but Ten Hag has had ridiculous injuries all season, could still finish top four and there's a chance of silverware as well. So why is Poch four above him? It's the inconsistency that grills me. 

I do think Poch is overrated mind.

I personally don’t have Poch above him. Think ETH has done well also with the various things he’s had to deal with. Was actually arguing his case Saturday in pub in Rochdale en route to our game against some MUFC fans that wanted him gone.  

If comparing the two I would say ETH has had more say in transfers I feel which helps. That and he’s been there a year longer than Poch at Chelsea.

Would definitely give both of them another full season to fully judge them if they were my managers.

5 hours ago, TRC said:

The elite

Pep

Klopp

Top Level Managers

Arteta

Emery

Might be really good and better than the rest

Ange

De Zerbi

Solid Managers

Silva

Oniel

Iraola

Frank

Average PL Managers with highs and lows

Moyes

Howe

Nuno

Ten Hag

Poch

Dyche

Tough situation so hard to judge

Kompany

Glasner

Edwards

Absolute shit

Wilder

One of the reasons I want Howe out, is although he is good, the rest of the field are good too he doesnt stand out and the top 6 managers in this league are a level above him.

Howay.

Where would you have ranked Howe and Klopp last season?

1 minute ago, dcmk said:

Howay.

Where would you have ranked Howe and Klopp last season?

Klopp is always going to be top 2.

Howe has been exposed this season as a top manager for being unable to put out a plan b.

9 minutes ago, TRC said:

Klopp is always going to be top 2.

Howe has been exposed this season as a top manager for being unable to put out a plan b.

Klopp, a top 2 manager, literally says he has no plan B. So how is that fair to use it against EH?

Last season fans were on Klopp's back with the exact criticism that EH is getting. Playing favourites, not addressing weak points in the squad last season. Too loyal towards underperforming players etc.

It's nonsense.  

Incidentally the 2 years of good results doesn't count for EH, but the last 4 months does? Ok.

Edited by dcmk

5 hours ago, TRC said:

The elite

Pep

Klopp

Top Level Managers

Arteta

Emery

Might be really good and better than the rest

Ange

De Zerbi

Solid Managers

Silva

Oniel

Iraola

Frank

Average PL Managers with highs and lows

Moyes

Howe

Nuno

Ten Hag

Poch

Dyche

Tough situation so hard to judge

Kompany

Glasner

Edwards

Absolute shit

Wilder

One of the reasons I want Howe out, is although he is good, the rest of the field are good too he doesnt stand out and the top 6 managers in this league are a level above him.

image.thumb.jpeg.66df01812265a25ff5d88a94a674a400.jpeg

58 minutes ago, dcmk said:

Klopp, a top 2 manager, literally says he has no plan B. So how is that fair to use it against EH?

Last season fans were on Klopp's back with the exact criticism that EH is getting. Playing favourites, not addressing weak points in the squad last season. Too loyal towards underperforming players etc.

It's nonsense.  

Incidentally the 2 years of good results doesn't count for EH, but the last 4 months does? Ok.

I've said he's an average premier league manager which is what he is. That is more due to the quality of the managers in the league. The list is subjective, outside of the top 6 managers that I have as better than him there isn't much between the rest. Apart from Wilder who is miles off.

I don't think Howe is a top 6 manager in the league and that's where I think we should be aiming.

Top 4 finish 

cl qualification

1 cup final

1 (2?) quarter final 

from 19th to 11th

Manages an average squad

Yep. Bang average is Eddie. 

Edited by RS