The Relegationometer™ (2023/24)

midds

The Relegationometer™ (2023/24)  

403 members have voted

1. 1. How likely are we to get relegated this season? 0 = nee chance, 5 = can’t call it, 10 = nailed on marra

6 hours ago, Fantail Breeze said:

No team has ever survived with no wins in their first 14 games though™

Yeah, and QPR bought all those players in January and still went down. Unfortunately this precedent ignores the fact that they brought in players like the comically finished Bosingwa and not Kieran Trippier fresh from starting for the La Liga champions.

On the topic of big name fullbacks at bottom three clubs, I also remember Wayne Bridge as an absolute disaster on loan at West Ham. They got relegated despite Demba Ba knocking in goals for them. Them going down was reason we got him.

I was 'gubbed', so could only put on like 74p if I wanted to [emoji38], but Betway's current odds are pretty reassuring.

Norwich 2/9

Watford 1/4

Burnley 2/5

Newcastle 11/4

Everton 4/1

Brentford 11/2

Leeds 6/1

Crystal Palace 25/1

https://betway.com/en/sports/evt/7596742

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/english/premier-league/relegation

So despite Palace being 2 points clear of Leeds, and the latter having a game in hand, the bookies generally think they are kind of out of it and more like 7 involved.

7 hours ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

Trying to decide what would be acceptable points-wise from the next 4 (Villa, West Ham, Brentford, Brighton). 6 I'd take, 7 I think is the aim. Anything else is a bonus. These next 4 games are a real chance for us to put some daylight between us and the bottom 3. Villa and Brighton at home I'd want 6. West Ham away is going to be tough. Brentford away just dont lose.

Think we've still got to be realistic with where we are, so i'd be delighted with 5 points from those 4. 

7 points would not be impossible though.

We have four winnable / points-worthy games coming up; villa at home, Wham and brentford away and then brighton home. We need to take minimum 7/8 points from that lot.

Looks like burnley, norwich and Everton have a run of hard/tricky games coming up, we need to gain some distance from this lot and put some space between us.

23 minutes ago, buzza said:

We have four winnable / points-worthy games coming up; villa at home, Wham and brentford away and then brighton home. We need to take minimum 7/8 points from that lot.

Looks like burnley, norwich and Everton have a run of hard/tricky games coming up, we need to gain some distance from this lot and put some space between us.

7/8 points we need? No we don’t , 5 would be perfectly fine , 7/8 would be dreamland man . One step at a time 

We only need to match the points Burnley, Watford and Norwich accumulates for the remainder of the season to stay up. I don't think that means we need 7/8 points over the next 4 games. It would be nice of course, but I don't see either of those teams picking up that many points.

5 minutes ago, Conjo said:

We only need to match the points Burnley, Watford and Norwich accumulates for the remainder of the season to stay up. I don't think that means we need 7/8 points over the next 4 games. It would be nice of course, but I don't see either of those teams picking up that many points.

Amen 

Being realistic when was the last time we won three premier league games in a row? I’d happily take a draw against villa now. They looked deadly on the counter last night. There defence can still be getting at however. West Ham I’d put down as a defeat they’re shit hot this season. Then a win and a draw either way from Brentford and Brighton should still see us outside of the bottom three. 

Anything else is a bonus. 

5 minutes ago, geordiekris said:

Being realistic when was the last time we won three premier league games in a row?

2017/18 - Southampton, Huddersfield, Leicester, Arsenal. 

The run that raised us to tenth. Then we lost four in a row and somehow managed to stay tenth. :lol:

12th on form since Howe came in is one hell of an achievement, especially since we had 4 horrendous fixtures on the spin.

We are night and day since Bruce. Form points to us staying up IMO. We will shithouse a few more teams on the road IMO.

48 minutes ago, GWN said:

7/8 points we need? No we don’t , 5 would be perfectly fine , 7/8 would be dreamland man . One step at a time 

We need a gap going into the last 4 games. We need 7-8 points from runs like this to give us a cushion as I can’t see anything matchday 35-37.

1 minute ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We need a gap going into the last 4 games. We need 7-8 points from runs like this to give us a cushion as I can’t see anything matchday 35-37.

By that time of season strange things happen.

We’ll be playing Chelsea three days before their second leg with Lille. Spurs won’t be able to cope with our press. Liverpool and Man City hopefully make the CL semis, meaning we’ll play both of those within a few days of the first and second legs, respectively. They’ll already be entrenched in their league positions then, too, I’d hope.

Trying to look on the bright side here, of course…

I honestly think injuries are the only thing that derails us from here, that’s where my remaining few nerves stem from.

It’s almost completely in our own hands now for the first time in ages, Burnley’s games in hand pending, so the task is just to equal theirs, Norwich’s, and Watford’s hauls between now and May.

5 minutes ago, Pardiola said:

We’ll be playing Chelsea three days before their second leg with Lille. Spurs won’t be able to cope with our press. Liverpool and Man City hopefully make the CL semis, meaning we’ll play both of those within a few days of the first and second legs, respectively. They’ll already be entrenched in their league positions then, too, I’d hope.

Trying to look on the bright side here, of course…

I honestly think injuries are the only thing that derails us from here, that’s where my remaining few nerves stem from.

It’s almost completely in our own hands now for the first time in ages, Burnley’s games in hand pending, so the task is just to equal theirs, Norwich’s, and Watford’s hauls between now and May.

Rich, your new name is giving me PTSD. 

If we play with the same hunger as the last game, I think we could realistically get points off all teams except top 3. Not saying we always will, but its not as hopeless as it was 3 months ago when we expected defeat from most games

That's it, when you're a normally functioning, competent PL outfit you can take points in just about any game. I just don't think we're used to that yet.

That said, we still have a group of largely average players, who will throw in the odd stinker. It's about how they respond to that. Hopefully we know have the leadership on the pitch that means heads won't go down when that comes about.