Liverpool 3 - 1 Newcastle United (16/12/2021)

Yorkie

I think yesterday's game showed that we need a defensive midfielder, the Shelvey/Willock partnership isn't mobile enough, has little defensive ability and Leicester took advantage of that.   Hayden isn't great but he protects the back 4 better than those two

Hayden put a foot in, unlike Willock.  The problem was, he usually then followed it up with a shit touch or pass and just gave it straight back to them.  

Right call bringing him in and Willock has hardly been great.  But I thought Hayden was absolutely atrocious last night. 

57 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Hayden put a foot in, unlike Willock.  The problem was, he usually then followed it up with a shit touch or pass and just gave it straight back to them.  

Right call bringing him in and Willock has hardly been great.  But I thought Hayden was absolutely atrocious last night. 

To be an effective DM at this level you need to be good enough and calm enough on the ball and Hayden isn't. We're crying out for a Kamara or someone of that ilk, as our midfield options are so bad and imbalanced. 

I still really like Willock in spite of his poor form this season but he needs that protection behind to be more advanced up the field so it's not the end of the world when he does lose the ball. Without that playing him is more or less a lost cause.

1 hour ago, Happinesstan said:

The more I look at that 3rd goal the more it looks like a routine worked out on the training ground. There is no explanation for Dean running off in that direction, like that. He runs into a position that restricts his view of the entire pitch.

Giving him waaaaaay to much credit to even suggest it may have been even partly intentional. He's just a bit daft and/or easily distracted. Norwegian studio yesterday highlighted him during half time, showing Dean looking away from the football at one point, and having some sort of conversation with himself in another instance where he was doing gestures for something that didn't even seem remotely relevant for football. :lol: 

2 hours ago, Conjo said:

Giving him waaaaaay to much credit to even suggest it may have been even partly intentional. He's just a bit daft and/or easily distracted. Norwegian studio yesterday highlighted him during half time, showing Dean looking away from the football at one point, and having some sort of conversation with himself in another instance where he was doing gestures for something that didn't even seem remotely relevant for football. :lol: 

Yea, probably not deliberate, but the fact he is making decisions based on his knowledge of TAA's style is just wrong. 

"I better move to a position where I can't see the action, in case I'm in the way of the player abut to shoot" Bin the useless cunt.

4 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

He’s just not capable at this level. Not his fault though.

We didn't really play him to be capable yesterday, just get stuck in and close people down. I didn't really see him doing that much, mostly he was just floating around in space watching the ball get passed all around him. Not dissimilar to Shelvey tbh. I read somewhere that he started off life as a central defender, and it's probably no coincidence that his best performances have been when he's played there. 

We didn't learn anything new about our limitations in midfield, but it was good to see that we at least created some chances.

The most positive thing for me was it looks like Dubravka has returned to form. When he's really on his game, he can make a big difference.

Edited by Cronky

As a LFC season tkt holder I would like to clear something up from Thursday night. 

In the first half the kop chanted "fuck the torys" as they do every game but a lot of NUFC seemed to think it was "fuck the Geordies" going by the angry reaction of quite a few. 

I think if they had realised what was being chanted they might have joined in! 

1 hour ago, The Merse said:

His mind is elsewhere - doesn't look remotely interested

I know people overplay body language and seem to think they are amateur psychologists. But someone on here said the other week, that they thought he looked depressed and I totally agree. 

He was a breath of fresh air last season. As he seemed to be buzzing about everywhere and his application was spot on on the pitch. Then he gave really enthusiastic and energetic interviews off it. He’s barely even cracked a smile this season, I can’t remember hearing from him post game and his performances have been poor by his standards. 

6 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

I know people overplay body language and seem to think they are amateur psychologists. But someone on here said the other week, that they thought he looked depressed and I totally agree. 

He was a breath of fresh air last season. As he seemed to be buzzing about everywhere and his application was spot on on the pitch. Then he gave really enthusiastic and energetic interviews off it. He’s barely even cracked a smile this season, I can’t remember hearing from him post game and his performances have been poor by his standards. 

He seemed to be a reluctant signing, and he has the air now of someone wishing he was somewhere else. 

8 minutes ago, Cronky said:

He seemed to be a reluctant signing, and he has the air now of someone wishing he was somewhere else. 

Still seemed genuinely buzzing when he signed. Must be quite a good actor, if he wasn’t. As we have had plenty of signings doing their promo stuff, who look like they’re being held hostage here :lol: 

1 hour ago, Trolleyjockey1 said:

As a LFC season tkt holder I would like to clear something up from Thursday night. 

In the first half the kop chanted "fuck the torys" as they do every game but a lot of NUFC seemed to think it was "fuck the Geordies" going by the angry reaction of quite a few. 

Wish I could agree with you and would have years ago, but I'm honestly not sure anymore.  Some might agree, some might even disagree, but I'd put my mortgage on the majority of them being adverse to saying anything and wanting to 'keep politics out of football'

10 minutes ago, kisearch said:

Wish I could agree with you and would have years ago, but I'm honestly not sure anymore.  Some might agree, some might even disagree, but I'd put my mortgage on the majority of them being adverse to saying anything and wanting to 'keep politics out of football'

Yep. Tend to agree. I know it’s not the best barometer to go by. But a lot of fans on Twitter seem to be politics out, banter about child poverty IN!!!!

A lot of young’uns in the away support who are probably ‘anyone but Labour’ types. Just due to the media world they have grown up in. 

I heard the chant on TV and saw the banner online. 100% would have joined in. 

2 hours ago, WarrenBartonCentrePartin said:

There’s plenty of flags going about that have poppies on them too (ironically mixing football and politics). They’d definitely not join in with anti-Tory chants.

That's different though apparently. In their minds that's something that unites everyone, because we all respect soldiers (with poppies and charity only though) and no one could possibly think it's political, jingoistic, or romanticises war.

Successful brainwashing at its finest, getting the majority to care about something, but only enough to think symbolic gestures and charity are the limit of caring, while banging on about virtue signallers when it comes to every other issue.

10 hours ago, kisearch said:

That's different though apparently. In their minds that's something that unites everyone, because we all respect soldiers (with poppies and charity only though) and no one could possibly think it's political, jingoistic, or romanticises war.

Successful brainwashing at its finest, getting the majority to care about something, but only enough to think symbolic gestures and charity are the limit of caring, while banging on about virtue signallers when it comes to every other issue.

Don't forget the social engineering that ensures they only have time for symbolic gestures.

17 hours ago, Trolleyjockey1 said:

never mind that. We’re the dickheads in this situation we’ve been turning up for decades with our “poverty banter” songs. It’s pathetic and I wish we’d stop.