Liverpool 3 - 1 Newcastle United (16/12/2021)

Yorkie

3 minutes ago, Thiago said:

Ah not to worry man. 

We're not in League One, we've got rid of Ashley. In time we will eradicate the stench. It's a sad truth but all tonight has convinced me of is that less of these lot are saveable than I first thought. I believe it was the daft old racist Graeme Souness who once said 'Is Pogba a tractah or a trailah?'

Right now we've got a bunch full of trailers. They need quality, they need momentum to do something. We need tractors. Your David Batty's, Rob Lees, Alan Shearers of this world. A few of them can pass for tractors when its going well, but not enough to win big games. 

We're fast approaching January and then we can add some new faces and start to move on the deadwood. Hopefully that injection sparks life into things because unfortunately when you keep a squad together for 5-6 years things fester. 

Great post and I agree completely. The rot has truly set into this bunch, and the especially poor start to this season under Bruce has just about finished them all off.

A handful of the right players coming in next month could really lift the place and fire the team up again. Going to be really interesting to see who comes in.

Feel pretty sick after that.

First Liverpool goal should never have happened and just sums Mike Dean up.

The Fraser pen is stonewall. He's goal side and Trent kicks through Fraser to get the ball.

So many big decisions going against us, difficult to see how we survive this season.

Thought Joelinton was superb again, really worked his socks off.

Gutted for Lewis too.

Another deflating result though despite some positives.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Great post and I agree completely. The rot has truly set into this bunch, and the especially poor start to this season under Bruce has just about finished them all off.

A handful of the right players coming in next month could really lift the place and fire the team up again. Going to be really interesting to see who comes in.

We basically saved ourselves the year we bought half of Ligue 1 and even then we were largely bargain basement shopping and exploiting contracts to get deals done. 

The fact we can now go and get an Oxlaide-Chamberlain or someone of his ilk will drastically improve this squad. 

1 minute ago, Thiago said:

We basically saved ourselves the year we bought half of Ligue 1 and even then we were largely bargain basement shopping and exploiting contracts to get deals done. 

The fact we can now go and get an Oxlaide-Chamberlain or someone of his ilk will drastically improve this squad. 

Yeah, that Jan was great. That bunch just came in without any baggage on them and improved the team significantly. Hopefully we can see something similar take place next month.

9 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

Fair enough but that’s not what I mean by tedious. I mean it’s very frustrating when he’s the only outlet and he very rarely tries to bring others into the game.

I think we have to accept we're seeing all the worst parts of Saint-Maximin right now. 

He's over-dribbling, he's not passing, he's flouncing a bit when he doesn't get calls. We see flashes of what made us fall in love with him but right now it's harder to channel because the team has more structure. I'm not going to rewatch the Bruce games cos fuck that guy, but I think so much of the success was because he had a total free role and the team reacted to what he did (and we rode our lock). Now we all have jobs to do and Saint-Maximin's has changed slightly from 'beat your man' to 'beat your man and...'

I think if we give him more quality we can start to isolate him against opponents more. Right now our best bet is via quick switches of play, but that's very hard to do when you play better teams that don't give it to you. 

Guest neesy111
Just now, Conjo said:

Left back immediately becomes another high priority depending on how bad the Lewis injury is.

It does although I thought Ritchie wasn't that bad.

As has been said, a total lack of investment over years has finally caught up with us. I just hope we can get a few quality players through the door next month as that's literally our last chance of staying up.

1 minute ago, Scoot said:

As has been said, a total lack of investment over years has finally caught up with us. I just hope we can get a few quality players through the door next month as that's literally our last chance of staying up.

Ashley gave up on the club as soon as Benitez had left and since then, a losing mentality has been allowed to take hold. It will take time to turn it around.

We need a brand new 22 player squad really.   They are all journey men, 90% have been at the club too long.   3-1 isn't bad but the injuries are starting again.......going to be squeaky bum time time Im still a 7.   Get players in early Jan will change everything.  Dont and we are basically a 9-10

23 minutes ago, Conjo said:

Left back immediately becomes another high priority depending on how bad the Lewis injury is.

We'll just keep Manquillo at right back and Trippier left back until we sign someone/Lewis is back :thup:

7 hours ago, Awaymag said:

We need a brand new 22 player squad really.   They are all journey men, 90% have been at the club too long.   3-1 isn't bad but the injuries are starting again.......going to be squeaky bum time time Im still a 7.   Get players in early Jan will change everything.  Dont and we are basically a 9-10

Players coming in January, especially from abroad will take time to bed in.

The position they are in is difficult to get out of regardless who comes in.

I can't see past relegation, and I'm an optimistic person.